Gildart set to ‘tick another box’

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Gildart set to ‘tick another box’

Post by josie andrews »

OLIVER Gildart is hoping to “tick another box” on his career check-list this Friday night.

The teenage centre has played in five Super League games this year – but has yet to play at the DW Stadium.

A three-game loan stint at Salford has been followed by appearances in Wigan’s last two matches, against Warrington and Catalans.

The 19-year-old has scored tries in both of his last two games and is set to keep his place for the visit of Hull FC.

And he is relishing the prospect of playing at a venue where he used to visit as a fan not long ago.

He said: “This would tick another box if I played on Friday.

“Unfortunately my family couldn’t make it to London (last Saturday) for the Catalans game, my dad was working away, so it’d be great to play at home.

“I used to go along to most home games, watching players like Lockers – to get the chance to play alongside him is mad. I still can’t my head around it.”

Gildart didn’t expect to figure in Wigan’s first-team this year.

But injuries to Dan Sarginson – out for the year – and Anthony Gelling opened up a spot, and he impressed on his club debut against Warrington.

He held onto his spot for Saturday’s match and Shaun Wane has praised his contribution.

“I’m really impressed with how he has handled it – he’s been outstanding,” said Wane.

“He’s still young, and I stand by that he’s a year or two off being a regular starter, but he’s come in and done better than I expected.”

England academy international Gildart felt he profited from a month-long loan at Salford.

He said: “Going there calmed a few nerves, getting Super League experience there first before coming back. Obviously Sarge is injured so I’ve got a chance, and I’ve just got to keep training hard and working hard.”

http://www.wigantoday.net/sport/wigan-w ... 1-7451296?
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan