Squad v Hull FC

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
shaunedwardsfanclub

Re: Squad v Hull FC

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

up the junction wrote:Really missed Bowens link play tonight ,Tomkins is stealing a living and Hampshire is nowhere near good enough.
Hampshire doesn't make those tackles we lose. The lad is a halfback somebody tell the coach!
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
Dennis Mc Hugh

Post by Dennis Mc Hugh »

Poor performance agreed but gives me every confidence for staines next week. If we had won with a pan-full as expected we might have become complacent. That was a wake-up call and staines will suffer as a result. :D
Shaun1967

Post by Shaun1967 »

Dennis Mc Hugh wrote:Poor performance agreed but gives me every confidence for staines next week. If we had won with a pan-full as expected we might have become complacent. That was a wake-up call and staines will suffer as a result. :D
Agreed, need to get Bateman running at Burns / Walsh as much as possible.
“Usually the fans that abuse players like Sam have never done anything of any note themselves. They’re nobodies, whose greatest claim to fame is abusing someone who has, and these so-called ‘Eddie the Experts’ pretend to their mates that they have."

WALLY LEWIS
BriH

Post by BriH »

Another very frustrating game to watch against - on paper - inferior opposition.
Too many times this season we have been caught like this and lost points that we should have had.
Very, very fortunate to get the win.
I think Dean Bell made the point recently about not been consistent. Yes, there were 5 team changes, but this is no excuse for poor defence and dumb play.
Hope we get back into the groove vs Saints.
Southern Softy

Post by Southern Softy »

For once I'm having some trouble understanding what's been posted on here.
I'm no great fan of Hampshire but he saved two certain tries in the first 20 minutes and performed perfectly reasonably - goal-kicking was very good as well. Matty Snith was ineffective for one obvious reason. He had to spend most of the match filling in for one of the worst displays I've ever seen in a Wigan shirt. That was Gelling who is still patently unfit (and what the hell are the backroom staff doing sending him out in that condition?) and hardly made a pretence of a tackle all night. He made one try with a sublime offload and cost us 3 tries by being out of position and missing tackles. Charnley had to tackle everything anywhere near him to cover and it unbalanced the whole team. Hull took no time at all to realise what was lacking and attacked that side all night.
The forwards (bar Joel who looked off,the pace) were generally excellent. Flower - another terrific try and hard work - Mossop - made yards more than he did against Catalans - Clubb - effective and hard to stop.
Again we suffered when MM was spelled and surely the experiment with Powell will stop for a while when he gets suspended for his grab at Lineham's face. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and say it was a grab rather than deliberate but it was ugly. And let's hope Tautai gets suspended so we don't have to suffer him on the field again this season.
The large nucleus of what could be an outstanding team must despair at how the others cost the team dearly when they perpetually mess up. Lucky we have the amazing Bateman to stand out week after week.

And as for Bentham as a Referee - it's a toss-up where he's more dangerous. On the field or in the Video booth? Please can't the club request that he be stood down from our matches for the remainder of the season.
w.thomas

Post by w.thomas »

The two guys inside Charnley defended very poorly tonight. Smith couldn't tackle a good dinner and Gelling has no brain.[/quote]

Agree with you there mate they looked terrible down that side.
Owd Codger

Post by Owd Codger »

Socking display of poor tackling for the latter three quarters of the game and if we had carried on playing like we did in the first quarter, we would have won easily.

As a result, we nearly blew it!

The fact that we are unlikely to catch Leeds for the top spot and playing St Helens next week to help consolidate second place, which is more important had in my opinion, a lot to do with the performance last night.
Owd Codger

Post by Owd Codger »

Southern Softy wrote:For once I'm having some trouble understanding what's been posted on here.
I'm no great fan of Hampshire but he saved two certain tries in the first 20 minutes and performed perfectly reasonably - goal-kicking was very good as well. Matty Snith was ineffective for one obvious reason. He had to spend most of the match filling in for one of the worst displays I've ever seen in a Wigan shirt. That was Gelling who is still patently unfit (and what the hell are the backroom staff doing sending him out in that condition?) and hardly made a pretence of a tackle all night. He made one try with a sublime offload and cost us 3 tries by being out of position and missing tackles. Charnley had to tackle everything anywhere near him to cover and it unbalanced the whole team. Hull took no time at all to realise what was lacking and attacked that side all night.
The forwards (bar Joel who looked off,the pace) were generally excellent. Flower - another terrific try and hard work - Mossop - made yards more than he did against Catalans - Clubb - effective and hard to stop.
Again we suffered when MM was spelled and surely the experiment with Powell will stop for a while when he gets suspended for his grab at Lineham's face. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and say it was a grab rather than deliberate but it was ugly. And let's hope Tautai gets suspended so we don't have to suffer him on the field again this season.
The large nucleus of what could be an outstanding team must despair at how the others cost the team dearly when they perpetually mess up. Lucky we have the amazing Bateman to stand out week after week.

And as for Bentham as a Referee - it's a toss-up where he's more dangerous. On the field or in the Video booth? Please can't the club request that he be stood down from our matches for the remainder of the season.
How can any supporter hope that one of our players gets suspended irrespective of what is only their own personal opinion of any particular player.

Judging by other opinions on her about nearly every player in the squad, we would never have a team!
No straw damn us

Post by No straw damn us »

I don't really understand the criticism of Joel Tomkins. He made more tackles than any other Wigan player last night and missed just two. Gelling and Smith were more culpable missing six each. Then there was Crosbys poor tackles that led to the late Hull tries and his subsequent "hook" from the pitch. I thought Hampshire went well saving two certain tries and also Mossop probably had his best game since returning from Australia.
TrueBlueWarrior

Post by TrueBlueWarrior »

I thought Mossop played well!!
'If you start listening to the fans it won't be long before you're sitting with them.' - Wayne Bennett