Matty Smith

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
shaunedwardsfanclub

Matty Smith

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

Has his form warranted his selection this season? Should he be an automatic choice for the team next term?
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
TrueBlueWarrior

Re: Matty Smith

Post by TrueBlueWarrior »

No, no player should be, they should earn it week in week out!!
'If you start listening to the fans it won't be long before you're sitting with them.' - Wayne Bennett
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

and who would you play in his place? Hampshire? another player who hasn't proved his worthyness yet either :lol: :lol: :lol: you couldn't make it up
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

His place is under pressure simply because he is not doing what he needs to week in week out but the saving grace for Smith is that Wane does not believe in the alternatives.

One thing is for sure George Williams has been a better halfback than Matty Smith this season.
Wigan Watcher

Post by Wigan Watcher »

Smith has been poor all season. Someone who offers very little in attack

cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Wigan Watcher wrote:Smith has been poor all season. Someone who offers very little in attack
A couple of games he has been excellent which has had the club scratching their heads as to where has that form been all season?

One does wonder if Wane does not rate Hampshire why not give Powell(whom he loves) an opportunity at SH?
cow yeds

Post by cow yeds »

Smith is only in cos we have no alternative.
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

To late this season for experiments. But next year we may see some changes. Maybe even sam at 6? There are a whole bunch of possibilities with the personnel available next year.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

I find with matty smith that I constantly feel "the idea was good execution was poor"

I think he has a good rugby brain but lacks ability and he makes big errors which make me think when things do go right is more to luck than to skill

His short kick off for example, to barely make 5m is pretty inexcusable

He is also too slow IMO
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
Panchitta Marra

Post by Panchitta Marra »

Matty Smith IS too slow, been saying it for a year now.
He hasn't been playing consistently good either irrespective of his pace issue.

George Williams has speed but his creativiy and distribution hasn't been at its best recently.

In all this was clear against saints on Friday night, our forwards really took it to them but our ideas to get us over the try line failed miserably.

If George is allowed to play go forward rugby league like he's done throughout his career with a stand off beside him who can create and distribute well then I think we have a good half back pairing. As someone has said, maybe Sam Tomkins is the right man to back George up in the halves.