Where would we accept to finish but win the Grand Final?

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
nathan_rugby

Where would we accept to finish but win the Grand Final?

Post by nathan_rugby »

Lets be honest, nobody can really remember who won the LLS as it is the Grand Final that holds the prestige and gets the most coverage.

We all would rather win the Grand Final than the league leaders shield I would assume?

However, with some lacklusture performances at the start of the season and teams such as Leeds winning it from 5th, where would you draw the line in terms of poor finish/performance all year for a good run at the end?

This is probably aimed more at season ticket holders.

I personally think it just goes down to how competitive the league is and the manner in which we lose. Games in the past such as the Catalans loss are simply unacceptable and if there were a lot more of those in the season I would not be happy.

However a couple more of those close losses to St Helens and a greater performing Warrington or Cas for example could see us easily in 5th or 6th.

As a general rule given the current league I would accept a top 3 finish with Leeds and Huddersfield. I simply wouldn't accept Saints, Cas or Wire finishing above us.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
GBH

Re: Where would we accept to finish but win the Grand Final?

Post by GBH »

I would say we have seen more crap rugby this year than for a long time and as a season ticket holder I find it hard to watch when [play so poorly during the year, great if you only go and watch the big games but for those that go and watch home and away watching shit rugby isn't worth the cost in time or money.
Snickers Workwear - Workwear - Safety Boots
Wandering Warrior

Post by Wandering Warrior »

As above.
We've stunk too consistently this season.
When John Byrom plays on snow, he doesn't leave any footprints - Jimmy Armfield
southernpie

Post by southernpie »

[quote"GBH"]I would say we have seen more crap rugby this year than for a long time and as a season ticket holder I find it hard to watch when [play so poorly during the year, great if you only go and watch the big games but for those that go and watch home and away watching shit rugby isn't worth the cost in time or money.[/quote]

I am not a season ticket holder but get to as many games as I can and living in Lincolnshire it is usually away in east yorkshire that are easiest for me, KR and FC away were very difficult to watch and accept and Cas was just a humiliation.
If that is the standard we are going to be served up I find it very difficult to justify the outlay, I will become a total armchair warrior only attending the big games/finals
This St Helens Defence is like a lollipopman at Brands Hatch -Ray French BBC TV Challenge Cup 1982

[img]https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-55dq ... Botica.jpg [/img]

https://picasaweb.google.com/nogireman/ ... SDELRUGBY#
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Win or lose the GF this has been a frustrating season. Largely of under achievement. People know my arguments about our approach. If we had approached the season as we have in the last few weeks we could be talking Wigan for the treble or a near as damn it to it. Runner up in the LLS would be acceptable if we had played superbly and won far more games in the regular season. It was almost won by default in the end.

I firmly believe we should dominate British RL in the next 5 years; Saints are still rebuilding and Leeds will be rebuilding for that time.
Sutty

Post by Sutty »

One has to wonder whether or not the sometimes lacklustre performances are because Wigan, like many of the other top teams, seem to be just going through the motions, regarding the main season. As frustrating as it is for fans, what's the point in playing to an extremely high intensity every week, purely to dominate a competition that, largely, means nothing?

I've thought for a few years now, that the teams are almost deliberately playing poor rugby because the only games that seem to matter, for the top 5 teams, are the playoffs and this season the Super 8's.

It showed a few years ago when Wire were dominant all year and no one could get near them, then Leeds go on a winning run of 5 games, after finishing 5th in the league, to end up as Grand Final winners.

Sadly, it's all about money and the Grand Final and very little about how good a team can be for almost 30 matches.

cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Interesting points Sutty but if it was all about money then why not peak for the CC and the GF. IIRC, financially a CC win is worth more than a GF win.

I think Leeds have shown you can be largely consistent across the season. However, I found Morley's observations re the added work rate Leeds forwards have had to make may well tell in the GF. Hope it does!
Sutty

Post by Sutty »

Point taken. Maybe not solely about money, but certainly about prestige. Granted the CC is seen as the Holy Grail to a lot of us die hard fans, who remember the glory days of the 80's / 90's, but due to the way that Sky hold the purse strings and the way that the media portray sporting events, it feels as though the Grand Final is the be all and end all of RL in Europe.

I've never heard anyone refer to the winners of the LLS as champions, but that's the only title that Leeds were referred to in the year that they won the GF from 5th place, which, IMHO, is an absolute travesty.

Too much emphasis is placed on winning the Grand Final. I've said for years that the Australian NRL model is all well and good. But they've got teams over there that can be almost bottom one year and then GF winners the next and it's very rare for a team to win consecutive GF's these days, because of the salary cap merry go round of players.

In this country however, when was the last time that either Leeds, Saints, Wire or Wigan didn't appear in a Grand Final? Bradford were dominant for a while, but have now disappeared into relative obscurity.

cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

I agree with you re the GF but I cannot see it changing. For me, the GF is a bit like the Premiership Play Off's where. I do think is the league mattered more then you would see a better every minute matters from relegation to the very top. It almost takes the P out of fans to see Wakey rightly and blatantly say the regular season does not matter, we are looking at the end of season tournament.