How Many Players Are We Off Becoming A Top Team?

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
shaunedwardsfanclub

How Many Players Are We Off Becoming A Top Team?

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

I'll have first dibs, a top half back, strike centre and a fast, creative hooker. Rocky or Shorrocks may be the answer to the first problem.
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
thegimble

Re: How Many Players Are We Off Becoming A Top Team?

Post by thegimble »

We are a top team already.

We just need a bit of an X Factor and Sam will give us that. Bowen has been a good player for us. But Sam will scare teams to death and give some freedom to our backline.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

A Scrum Half and a Right centre.
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

shaunedwardsfan​club​ wrote:I'll have first dibs, a top half back, strike centre and a fast, creative hooker. Rocky or Shorrocks may be the answer to the first problem.
Add a big Quentin Pongia/Craig Smith style Prop or a Bryan Fletcher style second rower to lead the pack with their experience, Joel Tomkins isn't the answer and i hazard a guess he was only brought back so we could secure the signing of Sam
Smokie Jim

Post by Smokie Jim »

shaunedwardsfan​club​ wrote:I'll have first dibs, a top half back, strike centre and a fast, creative hooker. Rocky or Shorrocks may be the answer to the first problem.
I'd go with that SEC. It's as plain as a pike staff to me. How ever I was vilified on here for even suggesting the 'venerable ' MM was part of the problem. We really need a James Roby type dummy half who is creative in the "Red Zone " and also a terrific defender t'boot. Add to that an accomplished kicker eg Pat Richardesque.
Panchitta Marra

Post by Panchitta Marra »

cpwigan wrote:A Scrum Half and a Right centre.
We have a scrum half in George Williams, he's a natural 7.
Stand off and centre needed.
Does Hampshire fit the stand off berth?
Centre needed and possibly a winger if Josh jumps ship.
markill

Post by markill »

cpwigan wrote:A Scrum Half and a Right centre.
I sort of agree re. scrum half. I think Smith now has shown what he is - a very good Super League player. But Williams can become a world class half in 6 or 7 shirt, so really its a half we need - either spot. Whether Hampshire or Powell will be the answer is difficult to say however.

We have a right centre who can still become more than what he is. I can't write Gelling off yet, he has been sensational, he has been terrible, he can be one of the very best if he smartens up. I suppose though that's just like the scenario we always had we Hock, although Gelling is more daft than stupid so I'd give him another year.

A barnstorming prop wouldn't go amiss or one genuine offloader in the pack (that could be Joel if he also smartens up a bit, particularly in defence).

I don't think we're more than marginal improvement away. This year was destined to be Leeds, we weren't far behind.
in the world of mules, there are no rules

LATEST PODCAST EPISODE
https://www.spreaker.com/user/superleaguepod
the pieman

Post by the pieman »

its a strange one to be honest

I think with the current Salary cap in place Wigan have gone for qty rather than quality as such (Patrick, Tautai, Sarge, Clubb etc) so we have a big squad with players able to play in more than 1 position, but that is also a weakness as often it is 2nd row playing prop and not as effective as they should be

we have large numbers of good players (older and younger), but no X factor players in our team (I think Burgess and Williams could fall into that), although to he honest I don't actually see that many in the whole of Super League (Kallum Watkins at this moment in time is the only 1 who I would consider in that bracket)

given the current standard of SL we are not that far off as has shown the last 2 years, however are lacking something that gives us a cutting edge when it matters. the other thread around last tackle plays highlights this perfectly, we often go for the kick to the Wingers, but that's about as far as we stretch it, we do need someone with the guile / ability to make something happen against a good / well structure defence
southportcdm

Post by southportcdm »

Only one! i.e a Danny Brough type player at scrum half (he could also kick our goals) or get a top fullback if playing Sam at 6 (and George at 7) works out. Rocky may have been the answer at 6 but I don't think he'll get the chance now and I can't see him ever being comfortable at fullback. Unfortunately, for whatever reason (and it may be valid) he wasn't given chances to progress at 6 this season and he'll start next season no further forward than he did this. If he'd had six or seven games at half back at least we'd be certain by now if he was going to make it eventually. I'd like a top centre or prop too but we won't get them so if we get anyone else in it has to be a scrum half or a fullback.
warriors01

Post by warriors01 »

Tremendous effort yesterday. It shows that we are nor far off,with a bit of luck we could have won league leaders shield and GF. We would everything next year if would sign a hard running centre, and a creative number 6 moving Williams to his natural 7. Ryan Sutton will come through next year, but being greedy a robust prop to replace Tautai. And a goalkicker is a must.