SUPRISED NO ONE MENTIONED SMITH

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
shaunedwardsfanclub

Re: SUPRISED NO ONE MENTIONED SMITH

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

nathan_rugby wrote:
shaunedwardsfan​club​ wrote:
nathan_rugby wrote: Two different positions...
Ok then, I'd pick Williams before him every day and then play Rocky along side him. Will that do for you? By the way, Wigan don't play with a 6 and 7 and that is part of the problem.
I know we play the split a lot but I would say George is more often than not 2nd receiver than Smith is.
Hence the reason to move George to 7 and Rocky at 6. If we play with the halves split a lot then how can Rocky be playing a different position to Smith?
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

nathan_rugby wrote:
shaunedwardsfan​club​ wrote: Ok then, I'd pick Williams before him every day and then play Rocky along side him. Will that do for you? By the way, Wigan don't play with a 6 and 7 and that is part of the problem.
I know we play the split a lot but I would say George is more often than not 2nd receiver than Smith is.
Hence the reason to move George to 7 and Rocky at 6. If we play with the halves split a lot then how can Rocky be playing a different position to Smith?
I have just said George is more often 2nd receiver than Matty, so this doesn't indicate a 50/50 split.

I personally think George at first receiver and a stand off at 2nd receiver would work much better. We are too predictable with Matty at first.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

nathan_rugby wrote:
nathan_rugby wrote: I know we play the split a lot but I would say George is more often than not 2nd receiver than Smith is.
I have just said George is more often 2nd receiver than Matty, so this doesn't indicate a 50/50 split.

I personally think George at first receiver and a stand off at 2nd receiver would work much better. We are too predictable with Matty at first.
But you said we play with a slit a lot!

So back to my point Rocky instead of Matty.
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

The club made of mess of things when Green left.

They obviously felt two inexperienced half backs wasn't going to work so with Green leaving rushed to give Smith a long term deal.

For whatever reason Wane then chose Williams to play 6 instead of Hampshire. So that put Williams in an unfamiliar position and has led to Hampshire in an unfamiliar position getting cameo roles at full back where he doesn't look comfortable.

Williams has done well but it's left us with a mediocre scrum half and Hampshire who's confidence seems to have taken a knock from playing full back.

Given we have won nowt for two seasons we'd have been better not giving Smith a new deal or at least going with Williams and Hampshire at 7 & 6. People have said we are in transition. Well if we are then that would have been the thing to do maybe.

Now you could say isn't hindsight a wonderful thing as no one expected Smith to be so average but surely the coaching staff knew it was Green who made things tick and working that out and acting on it is what they are paid for?

The fact we ended up with Green going and seemingly being panicked into signing Smith up long term is just rank bad planning. The club knew Green was only here for two seasons but they way it reacted you'd think him going took them completely by surprise.

butt monkey

Post by butt monkey »

DaveO wrote:The club made of mess of things when Green left.

They obviously felt two inexperienced half backs wasn't going to work so with Green leaving rushed to give Smith a long term deal.

For whatever reason Wane then chose Williams to play 6 instead of Hampshire. So that put Williams in an unfamiliar position and has led to Hampshire in an unfamiliar position getting cameo roles at full back where he doesn't look comfortable.

Williams has done well but it's left us with a mediocre scrum half and Hampshire who's confidence seems to have taken a knock from playing full back.
I agree with you DaveO

Must be something wrong with me now the season has finished as I am agreeing with plenty that other posters write.

Now Williams has that experience, or at the very least cannot be considered a novice, maybe we should have Hampshire alongside him more now?
[img]http://www.webdeveloper.com/animations/ ... monkey.gif[/img]

The biggest Room is the Room for improvement.

The best form of defence is attack!!

Out of the black and into the red, remember you don't get anything for two in a bed!!
Panchitta Marra

Post by Panchitta Marra »

nathan_rugby wrote:
shaunedwardsfan​club​ wrote: I'd pick Rocky ahead of him every day.
Two different positions...
Ok then, I'd pick Williams before him every day and then play Rocky along side him. Will that do for you? By the way, Wigan don't play with a 6 and 7 and that is part of the problem.
+1.
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

butt monkey wrote:
DaveO wrote:The club made of mess of things when Green left.

I agree with you DaveO

Must be something wrong with me now the season has finished as I am agreeing with plenty that other posters write.

Now Williams has that experience, or at the very least cannot be considered a novice, maybe we should have Hampshire alongside him more now?
One of our biggest problems is game management, leadership, doing the right thing at the right time. Knowing when to force a repeat set, knowing when to put a high bomb up, knowing when to kick for touch, knowing when we should go for the kill and risk a try.

With Bowen, Smith, MM and Lockers we should have had enough experience and knowledge but we haven't. Won't it bring too much experience and further risk by having two 21/22 year old half backs?

Or is the reasons highlighted above due to playing the game to a system irrelevant of what is in front of us?
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
Kiwiseddon

Post by Kiwiseddon »

Firstly, Matty is a top bloke who I like a lot. I think he's a model professional and a good person to have in and around the club. That said, he is a facilitator, rather than a player in my opinion.
He won the Lance Todd in a game played in the worst conditions I've seen in years. Even the real flare players would have struggled in those conditions and Matty won the LT by playing the percentages and, to be fair to him, playing them well.
In the GF he had a shocker, dropped balls and terrible kicks. When he started trying to take the line on, it smacked of desperation and he got put on his backside.
I think a coaching role would be perfect for him as there are players (Hampshire, Shorrocks etc) who are far more talented but lack a lot of experience in how to play at the top level.
I would personally have Matty for another season, especially if Rocky is off to Cas and then look for him to be moved into more of a coaching role.
As for Lockers. He's looking tired and Bateman is a perfect replacement.
"K"

"But look at, look at Lydon go here...Remniscent of those two great tries when he won the Lance Todd... He's got Hanley inside him. He's going all the way..........."
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

Sorry but i have to disagree and i think this is were (particularly british) sports teams fail

We are too obsessed with "nice", ive heard matty is a top bloke, but he isnt good enough, his good performances like his kicks seems to be luck rather than the norm
I dont personally see what he would bring to a coaching role, he hasnt ever been a top player and has about as much vision as Mr Magoo, i dont see what he could teach say williams that he doesnt already know, if anything it could be the other way round

He may be a good person to have in the youth set up i.e 11-15year olds, thats fair play.

"experience" is one thing but the value of it differs greatly based on the individual. Lockers for example should absolutely be in the coaching set up, a world class player at his best, smith, i fail to see what other than being a "good guy" he brings

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
warriors01

Post by warriors01 »

As much as everyone at the club say what a nice guy Matty Smith is, unfortunately, this does not win trophies. For us to be successful next year we need half backs who can create space for the outside backs and this means we need to replace him because our attack in key matches last year was poor. But i think Smith is one of Wane's favourite sons and it will take something for Wane to drop him. So think our last tackle options will be to kick to the corners again unless Sam can change how we attack. It just goes to show how desperate England are for half backs because Smith would not get into any NRL team.