Next season

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
cpwigan

Re: Next season

Post by cpwigan »

No new ideas, same coach, same half backs, the one hope they cling to is Sam T.
shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

mickw wrote:Matty smith's defence was weak when he first came to us but he's improved with hard work, don't see why Hampshire wouldn't be the same.
I disagree Mick, Matty's defence was and still is poor. The guys defending outside of him are regularly made to look poor because of him. The only way we will find out if Hampshire is up to the task is to let him have a run in the team at 6 but unfortunately for some reason Waney has been reluctant to do so. One thing is for sure, Matty isn't the solution to our problems.
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
warriors01

Post by warriors01 »

Its fairly obvious that Wane will never play Hampshire at 6. Despite the fact that Williams and Hampshire were once the England academy half backs. Cannot blame Hampshire for not signing and no doubt will be out on loan next season. Wane has a number of options next season and he needs to make the right one otherwise we will come up short in the big games again. He needs to move Williams to 7 and go with either Hampshire or Tompkins at 6 or once fit give Shorrocks a go. If none of these fit get an experienced overseas half back for a couple of seasons. If Tompkins was to play at 6. Wane
could give this years academy player of the season Gabriel Fell a chance at FB. If Smith is not going to be in the starting line up, then Hampshire or Shorrocks could kick goals. If not we need a goalkicker being honest i think we need one anyway.
Tuigamala

Post by Tuigamala »

Next years starting line-up could look like this:

1. Sam
2. Manfredi
3. Gelling/Bateman
4. Sarginson/Gildart
5. Charnley
6. Williams
7. Smith - Shouldn't but will be
8. Flower
9. MM
10.Crosby
11.Bateman
12.Faz
13.Lockers
14.Clubb
15.Joel
16.Burke
17.Powell
18.Mossop
19.Hampshire

Back up

Tautaui - Didn't do enough or anything of significance all said and done for me last season.

Sutton - Was convinced then Unconvinced can't make my mind up maybe 12 months on loan at a super league club

Connor Farrell - Needs to bulk up for me decent agility but will struggle for a place this year.

R Lloyd- Cant see him being here much longer

Tierney - Could play a big part if Sams injury persists

Shorrocks and Lever will probably go out on loan

Looking at this team budgie will be the biggest loss for me his speed, ariel threat and power, I really hope Josh can re-discover his form.

"If there is no blood on the line, it is not rugby league"
(Russell Crowe)

medlocke

Post by medlocke »

Tuigamala wrote:Next years starting line-up could look like this:

1. Sam
2. Manfredi
3. Gelling/Bateman
4. Sarginson/Gildart
5. Charnley
6. Williams
7. Smith - Shouldn't but will be
8. Flower
9. MM
10.Crosby
11.Bateman
12.Faz
13.Lockers
14.Clubb
15.Joel
16.Burke
17.Powell
18.Mossop
19.Hampshire

Back up

Tautaui - Didn't do enough or anything of significance all said and done for me last season.

Sutton - Was convinced then Unconvinced can't make my mind up maybe 12 months on loan at a super league club

Connor Farrell - Needs to bulk up for me decent agility but will struggle for a place this year.

R Lloyd- Cant see him being here much longer

Tierney - Could play a big part if Sams injury persists

Shorrocks and Lever will probably go out on loan

Looking at this team budgie will be the biggest loss for me his speed, ariel threat and power, I really hope Josh can re-discover his form.
Are we sending Willie Isa to Workington for the season?
platt-warrior

Post by platt-warrior »

Just what I was thinking Meds.
No straw damn us

Post by No straw damn us »

Lloyd has signed for Swinton. Nobody mentioning Isa, who will be a very good signing IMO? I have a couple of friends who are involved at Widnes and they were "gutted" to see him leave. We'll also probably see the likes of Bretherton, Gregson, Waterworth etc get a few games. Sadly Shorrocks will be out for about six months, so it may be late intheseason before he is back to full fitness.
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

What is the correllation in players making the Wigan 1st team who have gone on loan to other Super League clubs compared to those who have gone on loan/dual reg at lower leagues.

Just wondering if there has been greater results from either over the years..
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
OAMJSONA

Post by OAMJSONA »

1. Steve Hampson
6. Shaun Edwards
7. Andy Greg
Wigan is and always will be a town of Cherry & White

up the junction

Post by up the junction »

What is the obsession with Hampshire ??? Ok he was a good junior halfback with George ,so was Powell who imo would be a better option at 7 with George staying at 6 where he has made his mark .Ryan Hampshire for me has not taken the Bull by the horns and thinks himself to be better than he actually is with a given right to be a Wigan first team player (if the mutterings on these forums are true re. his saying he wants to leave if not given the chance)..
Maybe Waney also thinks this is the case ,because im sure he knows better than the experts on here .