Average Attendance down again in 2015

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Mike
Site Admin

Re: Average Attendance down again in 2015

Post by Mike »

Its not really down. I'd say its static personally. I think we had a solid average on the regular season games, but the Super 8s brought our average down a bit.

I do think the lack of big name signings (Sam is the exception) and Wanes constant talking down the chance of new signings doesn't fill the fans with excitement about the next year, but once you are playing the excitement comes from the teams performances which were, on the whole, quite good at home.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

No straw damn us wrote:I have two friends who are involved at Widnes in junior development. They were really sorry to see Isa leave. They believe he is a top class player and moreso a top class pro who will bring a lot to Wigan on and off the field.
That still won't put bums on seats. He could be Carmont MkII and a good player but Sam Burgess he isn't.

It's an almost pig headed attitude. The players we do sign are often projects or opportunistic signings.

Be interesting to see where Isa plays. If our centres are him and Gildart then at least the club will have looked like its spotted and and tried to deal with an obvious issue.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

thegimble wrote: Problem we had we announced Sam too soon.
I think the problem with Sam's signing is IL chose to the cheapskate option and decided to make him our marquee player to save some cash.

Sam and a marquee player would have people talking.

As it is, Sam's signing is old news. True that is also because it was announced ages ago as you said but I think it's also because we have not strengthened the side further with a high profile signing in addition.
John Ferguson

Post by John Ferguson »

I think this is a bit mis leading including CC games as there are a lot of factors that affect the attendance such as, opposition, live on BBC, round of competition etc.

Better comparison would be just SL games.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

I think what JF said is very valid. I also think as Mike said the last two seasons have been largely stationary. I even agree with IL in that it is very difficult to grow our attendances at the present time.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

cpwigan wrote:I think what JF said is very valid. I also think as Mike said the last two seasons have been largely stationary. I even agree with IL in that it is very difficult to grow our attendances at the present time.
If it's hard to grow attendance then you should minimise the losses and while Thursday night games may be out of his hands taking a game to London isn't where the crowd is less than the average.

I am also not convinced a huge hole in the home fixture list does attendances any good and I think he accepts that situation too readily.

Owd Codger

Post by Owd Codger »

Games being moved to different days and the six week period which can result in a reduced attendance at another ground like Leigh for a cup tie does not help.

Plus the fact that we need to sign better standard non home produced players like Leeds do in order to get a better quality balance in the squad.

Last season only Bateman, Bowen and to a lesser extent Clubb met the criteria needed!
warriors01

Post by warriors01 »

Not totally sure why but could be a number of things such as in the last few years we have not had the star names or players who make you jump off your seat anymore Too many mediocre players bought.Sky does not help, too many home games televised and Thursday night rugby is not a great family idea with kids having to go to school next day. Also when you go weeks on end without a home game,hard to maintain the interest for non season ticket holders. So with next seasons fixtures in mind, they may drop again next season.
jackoh

Post by jackoh »

IL is not bothered about the drop in attendances . Has anyone heard him . We play on Thursday night so he gets the sky money .

He plays a home game at Millwall , and gets commercial benefits .

He plays a home at Leigh in the cup and gets knocked out by Hull KR .

We see an increase in the East Stand season ticket prices .

And for what , another barren season for the fans , but IL is looking at the commercial side .

It may look good to you Ian but not for the fans .
Owd Codger

Post by Owd Codger »

jackoh wrote:IL is not bothered about the drop in attendances . Has anyone heard him . We play on Thursday night so he gets the sky money .

He plays a home game at Millwall , and gets commercial benefits .

He plays a home at Leigh in the cup and gets knocked out by Hull KR .

We see an increase in the East Stand season ticket prices .

And for what , another barren season for the fans , but IL is looking at the commercial side .

It may look good to you Ian but not for the fans .
What a load of nonsense.!

Evidently not a supporter who was around when we did have real barren seasons like in the seventies and in the time of Dave Whelan owning the club.

The reason we played at Leigh was not to do with IL, but more Dave Whelan not allowing us to play at the DW Stadium because of the pitch being relayed.

And we do not have a divine right to win a trophy every season as some seemed to think.