Average Attendance down again in 2015

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
si_bax

Average Attendance down again in 2015

Post by si_bax »

For all SL and Challenge Cup matches this year Wigan's average home attendance is down again. Any ideas why?

nathan_rugby

Re: Average Attendance down again in 2015

Post by nathan_rugby »

Continually selling some of our best players.
Signing project players.
No real big name exciting players.
Angered fans with too many changes to the structure and state of Super League.
Rising costs? Which I think would be a joke considering we can't regularly fill out the stadium.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
si_bax

Post by si_bax »

nathan_rugby wrote:Continually selling some of our best players.
Signing project players.
No real big name exciting players.
Angered fans with too many changes to the structure and state of Super League.
Rising costs? Which I think would be a joke considering we can't regularly fill out the stadium.
I agree with the structure comment, Thursday games are killing the game in my opinion. i think we do still have some big name players and have an exciting team but the lure of the game isn't there any more.
craig87x

Post by craig87x »

The fans maybe seeing us as being reduced to an NRL feeder club won't help attendances. For me though, the main cause of the decline is the Thursday night games. Long day in work/school with another one to come the following day is naturally going to equate to a "stay at home & watch it on the box" attitiude.
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

from my experience last two seasons a lot of season ticket holders wont go to the ground for games not included in their ticket, links in how lowest attendances are Challenge cup games.

also even when there is a decent turn out of Wigan fans on thursdays there is very rarely a decent Away turn out.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

The Super Duper League
ddtftf

Post by ddtftf »

Fans get annoyed when we see Leeds Salford St Helens Warrington all making close season signings which add enthusiasm to buy season tickets. We bought Willie Isa sorry WHO, our chairman said we had to let Laune Patrick go because of the salary cap, then bought Willie Isa who cannot get in the Widnes team SAYS IT ALL.

As all GOOD business men have to speculate to accumulate, if I have no fish in my lakes no one comes, if I stock my lakes with lots of fish they are happy and tell their friends to come.
Ps I grow my own fish but I have to buy some specimen fish to keep my customers happy just like the Wigan club should do. Latics sold all the best players and look what happened it should be a lesson learned.

Here endeth the first lesson in increasing the spectators.
No straw damn us

Post by No straw damn us »

Also have a look at the "Super eights" fixtures" Leeds had Saints, Wire, Wigan and Cas as their home games. We had Huddersfield, Hull, Cas and Catalan. Substitute Leeds, Saints and Wire in our fixtures and you would have seen quite a difference. The actual average 11 home game attendance in the regular season was just under 14,000. Thursday night games certainly don't help but that was the price we paid for the increase in Sky tv money.
thegimble

Post by thegimble »

ddtftf wrote:Fans get annoyed when we see Leeds Salford St Helens Warrington all making close season signings which add enthusiasm to buy season tickets. We bought Willie Isa sorry WHO, our chairman said we had to let Laune Patrick go because of the salary cap, then bought Willie Isa who cannot get in the Widnes team SAYS IT ALL.

As all GOOD business men have to speculate to accumulate, if I have no fish in my lakes no one comes, if I stock my lakes with lots of fish they are happy and tell their friends to come.
Ps I grow my own fish but I have to buy some specimen fish to keep my customers happy just like the Wigan club should do. Latics sold all the best players and look what happened it should be a lesson learned.

Here endeth the first lesson in increasing the spectators.
Just your point re not in the Widnes side. He played 19 games and was out from mid August with a knee injury if I am correct.

Problem we had we announced Sam too soon.

Thursday night killed us for attendances. Its ballsed me up I have managed to get Fridays off now permanently but still can not go for a season ticket as if half the games is on Thursday as they were in the Super 8's home its a waste.
No straw damn us

Post by No straw damn us »

I have two friends who are involved at Widnes in junior development. They were really sorry to see Isa leave. They believe he is a top class player and moreso a top class pro who will bring a lot to Wigan on and off the field.