Where will we find improvements for 2016?

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
southportcdm

Where will we find improvements for 2016?

Post by southportcdm »

After a subdued few weeks when I couldn't find much enthusiasm for the forthcoming season because of my normal pessimistic outlook on life combined with the lack of activity in the transfer market, I'm feeling more optimistic after receiving my season ticket and drinking too much over the past few days. I've been thinking about where we could find the improvements we must surely need to win something in 2016 and there is some hope:

Fullback - Sam at his best would be a big plus, however, how can he be at his best before the playoffs if at all? I hope young Lewis can make an impression but if not, I'm confident that Dan Sarginson will. So a combination of Lewis, Dan and then Sam could well be an improvement (although not a huge one?)on Matty Bowen's efforts over the whole season. Conclusion - slight improvement at fullback but it could go horribly wrong if Sam doesn't recover fully and one or both of the others can't step up.

Wingers - Dom could improve further and Josh should improve too. However, if Dom is played on the wrong side are they a better combination than Dom and Budgie at their best? Conclusion - no improvement on the wings

Centres - Gells can play much better than last season and Bateman could improve a bit as a centre (if we play him there). I'm assuming that Dan will be a fullback but of course, he may well play centre for all/most of the season. Young Ollie will improve but I don't think we can expect him to play well for a whole season yet. Conclusion - overall, we should be stronger at centre.

Backrow - Willie Isa is a solid signing but we're strong in this position anyway. Joel will be better for the operation and Faz is Faz. I don't know what we'll do with Greg Burke. Is he a prop, a loose forward or a backrower? Is he better than Jack Hughes/Larne Patrick? Conclusion - a stronger backrow overall

Loose Forward - Sean won't be able to play more games or to a higher standard than he did last season so I can only hope that he can maintain his high standards. If not, Bateman could be used if he's not playing centre. I think John is a top player but it will affect our style of play if he replaces Sean. Conclusion - no improvement.

Props - Ryan Sutton should improve and so long as we don't overplay him, has a big future. Ben Flower should benefit fro a full off season. If we can keep Tony Clubb fit for a few more games that will help too. Tauati must improve? and Mossop may well be more confident in his fitness this season. Conclusion - a bit of improvement at prop.

Half backs - I hope that George continues to make progress and we need Smith to take more control. We were very lucky injury wise with these two last season and both will miss much of the preseason due to being on England duty. Conclusion - should improve as a pair (if the coach gives them more freedom?) but if they don't we won't win anything.

Hooker - Mickey Mac didn't have his best season and we now know he was playing injured towards the end of the year. Sam Powell made progress but I still don't think that he offers something significantly different from Mickey (he can't play the same type of game). However, Sam is still young and if he could run more and utilise his kicking game more, we could see an improvement. Conclusion - slightly better than last season

Obviously there are other variables especially injuries, the effects of so many players being on England duty and the unknown (to me) abilities of the newly promoted players. Please let me know if you think that any of these could make a real contribution this season.

There, I've convinced myself that we could be stronger this season. I'd appreciate your thoughts if you haven't fallen asleep or lost interest yet.
Wiganer Ted

Re: Where will we find improvements for 2016?

Post by Wiganer Ted »

A good write up.
I'd hope that a better balanced squad could give us more chance of a trophy than last year.

As said, full back is a choice of Sam, Lewis or Sarge.

Wingers, I think SW will play Dom right and Josh left wing as he did last season when they were both out there.

Centres. Gells & Sarge first choice with Gildart or Bateman as back up. The problem last year was Joel having to go centre, that disrupted the back row and it affected his form all season. That won't happen 2016.

Half backs are where we're vulnerable I think. George and Matty both played almost full season without injury. We can't bank on that next season. Sam Powell is used as interchange 9 so if he's used as half back in the event of injury or suspension who's interchange 9?. It will be all the more galling if Hampshire starts playing well at Cas.

I'd expect Flower and Mossop to have better starts to the season for the reasons we know. Clubb will be excellent again but Tautai really has to do something this year. Sutton could replace TT quite quickly if he doesn't hit form.

Hooker is a real problem that I don't think has been addressed as it should. For the past season and a half when MM goes off and he's replaced by a man off the bench we fall apart. We lose the intensity, initiative and most often the match. Doesn't help when we repeat the mistake in the 2nd half either.
Our away form is utterly dreadful with this system of interchange yet they did find a way to win away from home but ditched it for the losing system.
When we played a man off the bench to replace MM we lose. When we interchange MM with a man who's been out there from the start of the half we win the match and very convincingly.
The 9 interchange will decide if we win trophies or not in 2016.

As for the back row of Lockers, Faz, Joel, Bateman, Isa & Burke it is as good as any in SL and better than most.

Each position is better covered 2016 than last season and it's a better balanced squad. Sort out MM's interchange and we can win trophies. Continue with the shambles of the 9 interchange past season and a half and we won't win anything.

Smokie Jim

Post by Smokie Jim »

Ted and Southports posts make interesting reading. I think Teds opinion that our chances of success are dependent on the 9 interchange a bit OTT but he could be very well correct. :D
warriors01

Post by warriors01 »

Hopefully Gildart, Williams and Sutton will look to improve as the year goes on.Forget Gelling. Forward pack is solid if nothing else. We were not miles away last year from doing a double. If Sam can recover the form he was in before he left could make all the difference in tight matches were we struggled to break down the defences. Jury out on Isa and Jake Shorrocks could be one to watch once fully recovered from his injury could form an exciting half back partnership with Williams. Also he is a goalkicker. Like everyone else disappointed that we did not buy an experienced centre and goalkicker as last year we would have won the League leaders shield with one. But we are we are lets hope Wane shows an improvement in 2016 and Smith can kick some goals.
Smokie Jim

Post by Smokie Jim »

Luv your optimism "01" fully support your post. I can't on reflection criticise SW but recognise everyone can improve.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Full back.

I can't see how we will be stronger until Sam returns and that assumes he gets the same space to operate as he did last time he was here. I am genuinely concerned for Tierney being chucked in at the deep end.

Wingers

Last season we had Josh, Dom and Budgie. We lost the best of the three (on last seasons form) so to be stronger Josh has to find his earlier form and Dom has to improve but neither will be able to do much if the players inside them are not up to it and the centres are not.

Centres.

The weakest position of the lot. Quite simply Gells and Sarge are just not good enough. They play their own game blissfully unaware of what goes on around them and only look good against weaker opposition. No idea what anyone sees in this pair.

We were better last season with Bateman and Gildart playing there and I can't see us not ending up with them playing in the centres again unless maybe Willie Isa will play centre as he has played there before.

Back Row

This potentially better given Willie Isa adds some depth unless he ends up in the centres as mentioned above. Even if he does it still means Joel doesn't have to and maybe not Bateman either if Gildart copes. Joel also had a operation in the off season so maybe his form will also improve.

Props

Pretty much the same as last year. I think we still need a Craig Smith type to ruffle a few feathers.

Hooker

Wane will persist with Sam Powell it seems as replacement and if he does and if he does his usual substitute Micky Mac by the clock routine this will fail as badly as it did last season.

Half Back.

George will have the benefit of a years experience so will hopefully be better but I have seen nothing to suggest Smith will be anything other than average again and for the team to do better it needs him to improve.

Loose forward

Lockers looked like a spring chicken playing for England. Hopefully he can stay injury free and play more games. If so we will be much better here. He doesn't seem to benefit much from being rested and it disrupts the team if he is.

One that was missed off - goal kicker.

Unless Smith has improved in the off season we revert to a goal kicker Wane took the job off!!!

Overall we are relying on players improving individually to improve the team.

We have not made ANY signings to address the weaknesses we had last season (given Bowen wasn't exactly bad and unless Isa plays centre the back row was OK anyway).

When we then look to Leeds who have just signed Ferres, how they address players leaving and come up with signings like Cuthbertson who arguably transformed their team last year it makes you want to weep.

southportcdm

Post by southportcdm »

Some interesting comments so far, please keep them coming. Most of us are looking at the positives but DaveO made some good points about why we may no improve much. It is a shame that we didn't seem interested in making any more signings. The fact that Leeds have signed Ferres will strengthen them and they seem to be prepared to shell out the cash when required. I suppose most of our cash has gone on Sam, I do hope he's O.K. I realise that the club don't want to waste money but from a fan's point of view wasn't it exciting when we used to sign top players regularly?
Wiganer Ted

Post by Wiganer Ted »

As I mentioned a few days ago, my view is that if we want to win trophies then we've to improve the away form.
We may go unbeaten at home for another season, we may not! That cannot be depended upon.
What we have to get rid of are the shambolic performances away from the DW. Losing by a close margin is one thing, losing due to being a complete and utter shambles for 80 mins is another.
Catalans and Cas, losing twice away to HKR, losing away to Salford, drawing away at Widnes. We won 3 league points out of eight away at the bottom four clubs.

The change and improvement of the away form is more important to me than any personnel changes or signings. Although I am glad to see Sam T back.
Owd Codger

Post by Owd Codger »

Where bullshit is concerned, Wane may be not the only one as there is plenty on here at times.

Especially from those who are always have to be negative and never positive.

Here we are again on the brink of a new season and instead of being full of enthusiam, all we get from the usual suspects is the usual moaning about the coach, squad, administration etc, etc not being good enough.

O ye of little faith!

p.s. Hate to think what it would be like if we were in a position like Bolton Wanderers.
brynmon

Post by brynmon »

Well said. :eusa2: