OPINION: Lenagan is right, the reserve setup is a shambles

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

OPINION: Lenagan is right, the reserve setup is a shambles

Post by josie andrews »

The eagle-eyed reader will have spotted yesterday that Wigan chairman Ian Lenagan made a fairly heavy remark about the reserve and dual-registration system in Rugby League.

Speaking after Connor Farrell’s loan move to Widnes for 2016 was confirmed, Lenagan described the system as a “shambles”, saying:

“Connor is a good young player who needs to be playing Rugby League regularly at a competitive level and the current shambles of Reserves/Dual-Registration does not allow that opportunity.

“We believe this move will help Connor achieve more senior game time which will help him improve as a player and allow him the chance to show his capabilities regularly on the Super League stage.”

But is Lenagan right? Chairmen do have a tendency to over-egg the pudding sometimes in sport – but on this occasion, Lenagan is 100% on the money.

Have a quick look on the RFL’s website at the fixtures for the new reserve league. There’s only a handful of Super League clubs that have decided to taken part – the rest, for whatever reason, just not deciding to bother.

In this particular instance, clubs like Wigan, St Helens and Hull FC have all decided that the need to get some of their youngsters gametime is worth the investment in setting up a reserve league – and for that, they should be commended.

But this is a situation in which the RFL should have taken the bull by the horns, so to speak. There are obviously clubs who have handy dual-registration agreements with lower league sides in their local area, but why not enforce a reserve grade, too? Otherwise, you’ll find League 1 clubs will become over-reliant on dual-registration, which hinders them in the long run.

The fixture setup for the reserve league is, quite frankly, laughable. Speaking to coaches last year who were keen to get this set up, I imagine they’re just as frustrated. You only have to look at Wigan’s fixtures – as pointed out on the WiganToday.net website this morning, they have no fixtures in March, and just one in April! They’ll only play a clutch of games throughout the entire year in fact: hardly a reserve league, is it?

The creation of a reserve competition was an end to a lot of the game’s problems regarding youngsters not getting enough games. However, the whole concept has been completely botched and in not forcing clubs to enter the system, the age-old problem with dual-registration will barely be affected in 2016.

You’ve even got more clubs from outside of Super League putting up reserve teams; the Championship/League 1 had an effective reserve competition last year too which quite frankly, puts Super League to shame.

It’s time the RFL told clubs to get on board – they are the game’s governing body, after all. Dual-registration and reserve systems can work hand-in-hand, it just needs the right management.

http://www.totalrl.com/opinion-lenagan- ... -shambles/
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Cherry_Warrior

Re: OPINION: Lenagan is right, the reserve setup is a shambles

Post by Cherry_Warrior »

It is in it's infancy though and the teams that have signed up for it will reap the rewards from it. To be honest i couldn't care less about the teams that have not embraced it but they will be the ones moaning that sides like us continue to bring the best youngsters through.

The dual-reg system is a joke but we don't have to worry about that any more.

Sod em i say
shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

IL is wrong, RL is a shambles. A truly great game is being run by a set of amateurs. Every club in SL should have a reserve team as well as U19s and U16s teams, failure to do so should result in expulsion. How are we going to catch up with the Aussies if we continue to operate in such poor fashion.
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Cherry_Warrior wrote:It is in it's infancy though and the teams that have signed up for it will reap the rewards from it. To be honest i couldn't care less about the teams that have not embraced it but they will be the ones moaning that sides like us continue to bring the best youngsters through.
If they don't take part the "reserve league" is, as the article points out, a bit of a farce and the benefits for those that do greatly reduced.

I also agree with the idea clubs should be compelled to enter it. It's not as if SL clubs can claim to be poor anymore with the full salary cap being met out of the Sky money.

It was Hetherington at Leeds who killed the old A teams and he did so citing cost as the issue. That ought to have gone now as an excuse so compel all SL teams to field a reserve team as a condition of being in SL.
old hooker

Post by old hooker »

shaunedwardsfan​club​ wrote:IL is wrong, RL is a shambles. A truly great game is being run by a set of amateurs. Every club in SL should have a reserve team as well as U19s and U16s teams, failure to do so should result in expulsion. How are we going to catch up with the Aussies if we continue to operate in such poor fashion.

Agree completely.
kitt green warriors

Post by kitt green warriors »

I personally used to like the alliance matches, I remember some time ago they were on sky sports from what I remember. Billy Boston made his debut in the reserves from what I'm told.
Over here in Australia the Broncs have the first grade side, then the under 21's (holden cup) who always play as a curtain raiser. Then the lower grades but the 21's and unused 1st graders play for teams like the Aspley Hornets, Wynnum Manly or Redcliffe Dolphins in the Q cup in addition to the Broncs, so in theory its the same set up as dual registration except the Q cup teams would give half of super league a run for their money.
I always knew that I liked this place, you don't have to look to far to find a friendly face, I feel alive when I'm walking on this street, I feel the heart of this city pounding underneath my feet, yeah if the world keeps spinning round and round this is were it all goes down,down,down, THAT'S WHY I LOVE THIS TOWN!.
Bon Jovi "Lost Highway" 2007
Owd Codger

Post by Owd Codger »

For a start, there should be a rule that all Super League clubs should have a Reserve, Under 19 Academey and under 16 Development teams.

Even if it means for some of the 36 clubs to merge in order to improve the standard of the game and compete more regular basis with Australia and New Zealand.

We will not do so while we have 36 clubs, including some without a ground to call their own and some in areas where the game will never take off and is no stronger than the Amateur game in Cumbria, Lancashie and Yorkshire.

What we need is more quality and less quantity in the number of Professional clubs, especially where crowds are concerned.

p.s. Keeping duel registration may also have a bearing on the lack of clubs interested in the Reserve Leaague.

Wiganer Ted

Post by Wiganer Ted »

IL is right, the first team, U19s & U16s are going ok.
It is the new reserve grade that is a shambles.
As said above, each SL club should be required to run the four teams. First, reserve, U19 & U16s. I would also suggest that First and Reserve teams be full time, the other two part time if needed, both in tearms of club finances and player's further or higher education needs.

Failure to run the four teams should result in SKY monies (or part of) being witheld.

The RFL should provide leadership, that's what they are there for.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Can they afford to. Most have not even 'bought' into the marquee idea.

New set up is a step forward (far from ideal) and hopefully the clubs who have bought into it will field decent teams. Alternatives/add ons; clubs merge to form reserve teams; rep games for reserves - Lancs v Yorks; a tour down under for the best of the reserves. To be honest I would rather our reserves played Saints reserves 4/6 times than playing joke set ups.
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

It is a start but by no means is it anywhere near perfect.

Is next year going to be more beneficial for Wigan than sending players out on Duel Reg?
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."