Tonights game

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Southern Softy

Re: Tonights game

Post by Southern Softy »

I won't use the quote button to save space but Cherry Pie's post was as good an analysis of a game (and a team) as I have read.
I didn't want the team to lose and I wouldn't underestimate Huddersfield but that essential Wigan spark, whereby a player or players can transform a match, seems to be missing this season against a team who should have been there for the taking.
warriors01

Post by warriors01 »

Cherry pie you are spot on. Only thing i would disagree with you is on Powell personally he is out of his depth in Super league no matter where he plays. We are desperately lacking a creative half back as our attack in the last 2 seasons in the last 20 has been poor. Same tonight and will be until Sam is fit.
markill

Post by markill »

At half time I genuinely didn't know where a try was coming from unless Gelling did something crazy that came off. The halves were working so poorly together, the front row wasn't punching any holes and the whole thing was too sideways and predictable.
The second half felt like we came out remembering that we had a team full of forwards and stated taking it to them. It was a hardworking display in the end. And we finally scored a try from playing rugby and not from an error or a loose ball. That showed why Lockers needs to play 13 at least until we get Sam back. I love Bateman and he can do 80 minutes in the second row for me no problem, but until Sam is back we need Lockers to have the freedom to influence things with ball in hand all over the park.
in the world of mules, there are no rules

LATEST PODCAST EPISODE
https://www.spreaker.com/user/superleaguepod
Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

markill wrote:At half time I genuinely didn't know where a try was coming from unless Gelling did something crazy that came off. The halves were working so poorly together, the front row wasn't punching any holes and the whole thing was too sideways and predictable.
The second half felt like we came out remembering that we had a team full of forwards and stated taking it to them. It was a hardworking display in the end. And we finally scored a try from playing rugby and not from an error or a loose ball.
Mark, you can't take anything away from the Huddersfield defence; it was awesome. At one point I was wondering if they had extra players on the pitch. I like the fact that we managed to break it on each wing and with a typical Faz effort
warriors01

Post by warriors01 »

Huddersfield put in a great effort but we made their defence look good because all we did was drive the ball up and whilst they had a few players missing their strength still lied in their forwards. Also we attacked the wrong wing why did we not attack the young academy centre and Foster who has never been able to defend. Poor tactics by our half backs and should have been put right in the second half by our coach.
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

+1
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

I thought it was a relatively solid away performance for early in the season. We were lucky Huddersfield had most of their play mkaers unavailable but our defence stood up well. Our attack should improve as the season goes on, so not too concerned about that. Our last tackle options are looking far better than last season so thats a step in teh right direction. At this stage of the season you just want to keep picking up the two points any way you can, especially away from home, so I'm happy with our start to the year.

A pre-season friendly to come next week to get some more practice in (it will be a meaningful match to me if we win, but if we lose its just a friendly :) ). Then grind out a few more wins and it will be a great start to the year.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

My assessment.

Defence wasn't too bad.

1 - Powell and Smith - Dreadful, abolsutely no creativity, no combinations, no attacking kicks, no taking the line on.

2 - Our attack for various reasons is very flat. Tierney rarely gets the ball in a 3 on 2 situation outwide. So many times our centres get the ball in a 2 on 3 situation which isn't good enough.

3 - Our forwards play 1 out rugby. It is so easy to defend when you just have one player running towards you. Why we dont have more decoys, dummys and running off the half back I will never know.

4 - Lockers and Farrell lots of penalties.

5 - Bateman, some good half breaks, but he is not a ball playing forward like lockers. Is this a dieing breed? LMS, Westwood etc all playing 13 now...

6 - Micky Mac - Not much attacking threat from hooker. Rarely steps out and asks the questions and attracts the markers plus A and B defenders.

7 - Sarginson, never a centre, clearly doesn't understand the game enough, has some great agility and speed and footwork, but doesn't have the intelligence to be a Super League centre. His first pass today was a mile forwards because he doesn't look and think.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
bill.inger

Post by bill.inger »

nathan_rugby wrote:
7 - Sarginson, never a centre, clearly doesn't understand the game enough, has some great agility and speed and footwork, but doesn't have the intelligence to be a Super League centre. His first pass today was a mile forwards because he doesn't look and think.
And he can't pass to his left for love nor money.
Owd Codger

Post by Owd Codger »

Kittwazzer wrote:Seems to me a lot of people on here were gutted at our last gasp win as they were so looking forward to a good whinge.

Which in the event, they decided to have anyway.

I give up!
You can never satisfy some, even when we win!