egg chasing or not???

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Fraggle

FA Cup

Post by Fraggle »

{quote}
The salary cap wouldnt be used in the premiership it just wouldnt happen. Maybe in the nationwide but it wont happen in the prem. Teams like man u and others will just object and pull out of competitions like the fa cup which will not make it as good
{/quote}
Didn't Man Utd already do that a couple of years ago, spit their dummy out and not bother with the FA Cup? As for other clubs, Chelsea are an incredible £95million in debt! Leeds are suffering heavily and will be worse when they sack El Tel and have to him compensation, Leicester and Bradford both dropped out of the Premiership in terrible financial positions, and I'm sure there are plenty more. With all these clubs in financial trouble surely they'd be jumping at the chance to have a salary cap and get their massive expenditure on players back in proportion to their income? I'd imagine a salary cap in soccer would be like our original, more sensible idea based on percentage of income, so in reality Man Utd and the other big clubs who rake in the dosh would still be ok.
http://fraggle.fotopic.net

"You rescue me, you are my faith, my hope, my liberty.
And when there's darkness all around, you shine bright for me, you are a guiding light to me....
You are a Tower of Strength to me" - Wayne Hussey, The Mission.

Shepherd's Bush Empire - 27/Feb/08 - 1/Mar/08
[hr]
Pengy

Leicester and Bradford

Post by Pengy »

They went into debt because they didnt get the money they would of if they had stayed in the prem. Leeds are in debt because they have overspent thats there fault. They will soon get it back once they have sold a few more players and get their money next year.

And yes when man united last dropped out of the fa cup it was crap. The cup is not the same without them and it also helps the lower league teams because they all want to get drawn to united at their place to bring in some money.
PD

Ho Hum

Post by PD »

'fraid the only soccer team I every managed any interest in was the Matildas !!
But then.........They raised money by putting out a nude calendar.....LMAO
Just another Wigan fan
DaveO

Soccer salary cap

Post by DaveO »

Pengy said: "The salary cap wouldnt be used in the premiership it just wouldnt happen. Maybe in the nationwide but it wont happen in the prem. Teams like man u and others will just object and pull out of competitions like the fa cup which will not make it as good."

I think you underestimate the fact Man Utd are a PLC and have to look to the stock market and shareholders to a degree. That means any curbing of excessive wages won't be frowned upon as much as you may think IMO.

Its probably out of their control anyway and will be a FIFA ruling so they will have to comply.

It won't affect the Man Utds of this world much because its a percentage of income based cap anyway.

That is Ok for RL where it ought to be possible to get a team up to an income of say Bradford or Leeds but in soccer owners like Whelan have not a hope of matching Man Utd even when Utd is restricted to paying 70% of icncome to players (70% is the suggested figure).

Dave
Jilly43

Footy v RL

Post by Jilly43 »

For goodness sake, all this talk about footy taking over the rugby is ridiculous. As a avid RL fan I would no more go to a football game, whoever was playing, than chew my own eyeballs and I am sure the same goes for the footy fans with regard to RL.
Rugby has nothing to fear from the Latics it is a sport which stands out on its own merits