egg chasing or not???

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
The Greatest brain

egg chasing or not???

Post by The Greatest brain »

What is wigan now?
A egg chasing town or a football town?
i have this feeling that if the latics get into division 1 then the town will offically turn blue, which is a shame but if the fans are too mean to turn up what can be done?
The people no longer care about wigan rugby.
pie eater and proud of it

Brain...

Post by pie eater and proud of it »

For heavens sake man get a life!

Wigan will always be a Rubgy League town, the shambles that is the football club still cant attract gates better than our worst last season except for the odd one.

Also, I have become aware from certain sources that they have or are about to reintroduce fencing of some sort because the Pathetic fans cant behave themselves.

Fraggle

turning turquoise cos it's cold

Post by Fraggle »

I'm not a soccer fan, but I had to have a look at the attendance the other night when the Pathetics were playing Fulham. Forgive my ignorance, but wasn't this quite a big game for the club against top-flight opposition? So why wasn't the crowd figure about 20,000? Or even 10000? Instead a massive 7615 turned up (figures from Daily Star last Thursday). Roughly the same number who will watch us play Huddersfield next year. This game was equivalent to us playing any top NRL side, and I'm damn sure we'd get more in than 8000.

The only way the JJB is going blue is if the winter goes on into about March/April and we all start suffering from hypothermia, cos that will be the next time there's more than a handfull of people in the place.
http://fraggle.fotopic.net

"You rescue me, you are my faith, my hope, my liberty.
And when there's darkness all around, you shine bright for me, you are a guiding light to me....
You are a Tower of Strength to me" - Wayne Hussey, The Mission.

Shepherd's Bush Empire - 27/Feb/08 - 1/Mar/08
[hr]
francis m marron

Town turns blue

Post by francis m marron »

Sorry but I dont agree with your comments. There is room for two teams in the town and Wigan RLFC will be the most popular for years to come.
4,500 for the latics last week for an FA cup match.
welsh_warrior

latics

Post by welsh_warrior »

i'll agree with mike, a league cup tie with fulham sould have been a good gate for the latics but he crowd they got was pathetic, wigan as far as i can tell , being in wales, will never be a football town, even if they won anything!!
The Greatest brain

well

Post by The Greatest brain »

well against man utd and the like the stadium is full.
Let's be serious, rugby league will be dead within the next 20 years without doubt and then wigan will defo be a football town, which it nearly is already.
Fraggle

Getting bored now. Try using your alleged "greatest" brain for once please

Post by Fraggle »

{quote}well against man utd and the like the stadium is full.{/quote}

So what's a Premiership team then? I know that as in all sports there's difference between the good and the great, but given that the Latics are still a long way below the top flight any team of that level must fit into "the like". As I said before this was the biggest night for the Latics at the JJB since the opening match, and the crowd was pathetic. If that's the reaction of the football fans to a big game then I would suggest that Orrell have probably got better support.

I'm sure the crowd will be bigger against Blackburn, but I expect the Rovers fans to outnumber the Latics' fans.

{quote}Let's be serious, rugby league will be dead within the next 20 years without doubt{/quote}

Perhaps you'd like to enliven us as to where you get this information from? Perhaps there's a secret government report somewhere that says that rugby league should be switched off on the same day as analogue television finally goes? Or are all the rugby players all going to be sent to Mars to see if that world can be colonised? Maybe you're aware of some new virus which is going to invade Britain and only attack rugby players and fans and decimate the sport? What a load of crap. I think we'll see the demise of cricket long before the end of rugby league.

I would hope I'm still here in 20 years and I'll more than happy to laugh in your face, but then you'll probably be watching tiddlywinks or some other major sport by then, I think that's more your level.

{quote}
and then wigan will defo be a football town, which it nearly is already.{/quote}

Why? There is no evidence that rugby league will die. There is no evidence that thugby onion will die, and with Whelan's backing Orrell will probably get better in time. But there is definitely some evidence that football is in danger of collapsing due to major financial mismanagement. Whilst the Pathetics will likely survive thanks to Uncle Dave's millions, the game is in trouble and lots of people will get disillusioned with the sport.

Wigan is nearly a rugby union town as much as it's nearly a football town. I'm sure it's "nearly" a lot of things, but so what? You're "nearly" capable of putting together sensible, logical, justifiable arguments on a message board but you've never quite managed it in the last couple of years.
http://fraggle.fotopic.net

"You rescue me, you are my faith, my hope, my liberty.
And when there's darkness all around, you shine bright for me, you are a guiding light to me....
You are a Tower of Strength to me" - Wayne Hussey, The Mission.

Shepherd's Bush Empire - 27/Feb/08 - 1/Mar/08
[hr]
Pengy

Dont talk rubbish

Post by Pengy »

What kind of crowd did you expect against a london team on a tuesday night, in a pointless cup competition to most premiership clubs? There was never going to be more than 8000 and i knew that. Its different for us we play teams half an hour down the road so its not far for the away fans to travel and even then our attendances are piss poor. Just look what happened when latics played a team not far away, 15000 turned up and i would say there was about 11000 latics that night because city didnt even fill the east stand. Its not the same in football, most teams are not just around the corner but another example of a good crowd for latics was preston when they go 16000 not bad for a 2nd division club and believe me if they get promoted this season they will start to average more than us.
John M

Rock FM

Post by John M »

I think the ads on rOck FM will no doubt help our attendances.We will now reach a far bigger audience.The Rock FM transmitter is on top of Winter Hill and can be picked up all over the north west.Its now up to the Wigan club to use the power of the Rock FM transmitter and promote the games.WISH FM is useless,its signal is p*ss weak and the people who listen to it already go to the games.We need to start expanding our fan base and bring in people who used to make the journey years ago when we where the best RL team in the world.They have probrably forgotten all about Wigan RL some of them and need to have their memorys jogged about what great times they used to have coming to the games.
Monie is God!

Long live Monie the king!!
Taffy

Latics best bet longer term

Post by Taffy »

It's no use Warrior fans sticking their heads in the sand or hanging on to former (never to return) past glories...the inevitability is that: a)Latics will be promoted b) they will start to attract bigger gates than Warriors c) they will go from strength to strength.

This was bound to happen from the day Whelan got hold of the clubs, because that's what he wants. If Warriors fans didn't recognise that before now they have been in cloud-cuckoo land!!