egg chasing or not???

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Mike
Site Admin

no point

Post by Mike »

I can't see the point of this argument about who's team is the best.

Wigan have had a rugby team for over 100 years and football is an established sport. It seems to me like both clubs will stand the test of time. League will be predicted to die for the next 100 years - just like the last.

I've one comment for the Latics though, remember that promotion hardly ever equals finanical security. Its easy to overspend in a higher league and if an unexpected relegation ever came along clubs can get in a real financial mess. With Dave Whelan this may not be a problem, but even this man's pockets aren't infinitely deep. You've got to hope the salary cap that has been suggeted recently doesn't limit his ability to buy you out of trouble as well - just as it has at the Warriors.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
welsh_warrior

warriors

Post by welsh_warrior »

as much as i think " the grotesque brian" talks crap , a minute fact is that its going to be a srtuggle next season , i also think that 3 rd is very optimistic . having said that , i also hope we get to the cup final so i can go and watch the boys play in the millenium stadium , against the wire , some hope would be great as a pay of mine is from there. anyway anybody calling themselves "the grateful bran " is slightly pretentious, don't you think ?
DaveO

Fulham

Post by DaveO »

Pengy, the comment about the Fulham crowd being poor is spot on.

The game may not have been of interest to Fulham fans but that is not the point.

The point is why didn't the presence of a premiership side at the JJB bring out the latics fans? If there is a strong Latics fan base then I would have expected them to turn up in numbers to see if they could get a premiership scalp.

It just goes to show when Latics get a big crowd its down to away fans - as was the (well reported) case when they played City( 11,000 Latic fans? - there aren't that many on the planet).

However, I really don't care if they fill the stadium or have one man and a dog watching them. I am interested in Wigan RL and want to see the crowds increase of course, but I really don't think soccer poses a threat to RL in Wigan.

Dave

DaveO

Taffy

Post by DaveO »

If I could predict the future as well as you then I could retire.

Answer me this. What happens when Latics get relegated? If the get promoted and make a hash of it and come back down what happens then?

You talk as if latics will become a fixture in the premiership and with all the money football has lost recently the future of clubs outside it is far from certain.

Dave
wanny

Latics are at a cross roads

Post by wanny »

I've read everyones points and most have a good angle. It looks as if the latics are going up this season,(although it pains me to say it). The new salary cap of 50% income on players wages comes into play 2004. Now if the latics crowd doesnt get any bigger when they go up next season then they've got problems because they wont have the money coming in to increae the amount they spend on players wages. And it wont matter how much money whelan has because is theory he wont be able to spend millions like he has been. If the latics stay up in the 1st then they are gonna stuggle to keep there. If they go straight back down then i doubt they will ever go up again. However what i think is most likley is that whelan knows the salary cap is going to come into play and that he has one year in which he is unristricted and he's gonna buy big and i mean BIG!! he's gonna try and go straight to the prem I reckon. I know it sounds mad but unless they get in the prem next season they never will. As for the long term affects on the Warriors, who knows? IF by some miracle they go striaght up again well i think we can kiss Rugby league good bye within 10 years or so? I HATE FOOTY POOFS!
Pengy

Latics and promotion

Post by Pengy »

I think that latics will deffo be promoted this season and if whelan is willing to spend the money they can get promoted the next season into the premiership. The Latics team now is very strong. Last year they let go so many players and brought a few in as well so it took a very long time for the players to gel just like it did for us when we got lam and johns. Now that the team has gelled they are on fire, top of the league and beating 3 teams in the prem. If they get promoted you dont have to worry the fans will come. When they played city loads of people i know who do not support latics went and watched and cheered on the latics and that will happen when they play bigger teams week in week out. They maybe glory supporter but they will still be paying the money to get in and that will allow whelan to buy players who are premiership class.

There is room for 2 good teams in wigan but eventually the football will overshadow the rugby. I hate to say it but its going to happen whether we like it or not.
The Greatest brain

WELLLLLLL

Post by The Greatest brain »

no i don't think so, as this is what will happen.
Orrell will gain promotion to the zurich premership, meaning if they win that they get £3 million or so, more then Super league.
Wigan athletic get into the premership that gets whelean about £30 million, and where does this leave wigan rl???
In the lurch and we will be kicked out of the JJb with a aleinated fanbase and no home.
Basically rugby leage in wigan is going down the pan and the fans do not see this.
wanny

THE BRAIN!

Post by wanny »

Well my friend i see that you are thinking along the same lines as me. I hate to say it as i am a Hardend rugby league fan through and through but RL in Wigan IS slowly but surely being devalued shall we say? You look at the owner? not only is an out and out Football fan but he also hates the warriors for not selling central park to him! He has bought Orrell RU and is currently not only giving orrel Wigan RL best young players to them, but also veterans who have acouple of years in there legs yet! He threatend to MAKE Wigan RL a rugby union team IF the salary cap was not abolished and has also got a vendetta with the governing body of RL in this country due to the fact that they were not using his stadium as much as he'd like! Other evidence is the fact that the LAtics official site is quite good with a 360 degree camera viewing thingy of the jjb as well as other stuff, then you look at the wigan rl official site and its PANTS!!!!! It just a site for advertising JJB, Patrick and Buisness Events!!!!

I can see were the road is leading and i like it not! you mark my words the vultures are out and they can smell the dying. Why cant no one else?
DaveO

Future of RL and Wigan RL

Post by DaveO »

First off Whelan is not giving Wigan's best players to Orrell. The only ones to go have not cut it at RL at top level and only Connolly who is an established star has gone that way - but who has had the best years out of him?

As to the salary cap, its interesting one is being introduced in soccer. Will Whelan spit the dummy out over that as he did in RL and chose to take Latics into the International Netball league?

As to those who think RL and RU should combine to cope with the threat of soccer, well if you want to kill off the sport that is the way to do it.

People seem to forget that soccer is a winter game and RL summer. Sure, the seasons overlap but there is plenty of potential to make RL a viable sport and have a decent fan base. If RL is not viable against soccer neither is cricket and any other pro sport you care to mention including RU.

RL will survive quite happily and IMO with Richard Lewis in charge is starting to get stronger not weaker.

Whether Wigan RL surives with it is not down to what Latics do or if soccer maintains its popularity in general but is down to what Whelan makes of Wigan RL. That is not the same thing as it dying a death because soccer in the town becomes popular, it would be because Whelan CHOSE that to happen to the club.

He has the money to make Wigan RL the best run club in the game but if he choses not to, then its his motives and commitment that need examining not the idea that all pro sport will crumble in wake of soccer or that its inevitable a Rugby League club can't survive if a town has a top soccer side.

If RL thrives under Lewis's leadership and Wigan RL starts to go backwards when other clubs improve then Whelan will face questions over his stewardship of the club.

As to Wigan Athletic in the premier league, there are clubs with A LOT more cash available than Whelan who will have something to say about that. Long term a 25,000 seater stadium is not going to support a premiership club when they have a salary cap in place.

What does Latics premierships ambitions mean for Wigan RL? Nothing unless Whelan choses to make it an issue.

Dave

Pengy

Salary cap?

Post by Pengy »

The salary cap wouldnt be used in the premiership it just wouldnt happen. Maybe in the nationwide but it wont happen in the prem. Teams like man u and others will just object and pull out of competitions like the fa cup which will not make it as good.