150 Club

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

150 Club

Post by josie andrews »

Wigan Warriors full-back Sam Tomkins on Wigan’s 60-12 win over Wakefield Trinity Wildcats

England international scores twice in win to reach 150 tries for Wigan

Warriors number one happy to reach milestone

Wigan Warriors full-back Sam Tomkins said he was happy to reach 150 tries for the Warriors after becoming just the 20th player to reach the feat.

The Wigan Academy product made his debut for the Cherry and Whites against Whitehaven in the fifth round of the Challenge Cup back in 2008, when he became the first player in the Club’s to score five tries on first-team debut.

Tomkins joins a long list of Wigan legends to reach the 150 try milestone, including Billy Boston, Martin Offiah and Shaun Edwards.

The former Wigan St Patrick’s junior said: “There are milestones all over the place when you play for a club like this. There are a lot of good players who have been or were at Wigan a long time that have broken many records so overall I’m very pleased with that record.

“The milestone has not been on my mind because this is the first I have heard of it, the reason I haven’t scored in a few weeks is because our attack hasn’t been that great!” He joked.

Tomkins reached the achievement when he scored a brace in Wigan’s 60-12 win over Wakefield Trinity Wildcats.

On the performance, he said: “I think our attack clicked better than it has done for a while.

“We changed a few things this week because we know the last couple of games against Hull FC and Saints (St Helens) that we have been below par with ball in hand so we knew if our attack could match our defence then we could score a lot of points and we did that.

“We knew we weren’t miles away from getting back to form but we are not getting carried away. No disrespect to Wakefield but we played the weakest team left in the competition at home so we aren’t going to be celebrating just yet.”

List of players to score 150 tries for Wigan
Billy Boston - 478

Johnny Ring - 368

Brian Nordgren - 312

Shaun Edwards - 274

Jimmy Leytham - 258

Ernie Ashcroft - 241

Eric Ashton - 231

Jack Morley - 223

Ellery Hanley - 189

Johnny Lawrenson - 187

Martin Offiah - 186

Gordon Ratcliffe - 185

Kris Radlinski - 183

Bert Jenkins - 182

Jason Robinson - 171

Pat Richards - 168

Josh Charnley - 160

Bill Francis - 159

Joe Miller - 151

Sam Tomkins - 150

http://www.wiganwarriors.com/news/2016- ... 7SzuOEW.99[/i]
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan