Make People Proud

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Make People Proud

Post by josie andrews »

Wane urges team to ‘make people proud of us again’

Wigan look to return to form that saw them win seven consecutive league games

Wigan face St Helens at the DW Stadium on Friday 19th August, 8pm kick-off

Wigan Warriors Head Coach Shaun Wane has urged his side to ‘make people proud of us again’ ahead of the Super 8s Derby with St Helens.

The Warriors head into the Derby having won one of their last four Super League games.

Wigan won seven consecutive league games before their current run and Wane is keen for his team to return to their previous form.

“It’s a massive game, it’s the Super 8s against our arch-rivals so it’s a huge game for us.” He said.

“We need to do better than we did last time against Saints but it’s 1-1 between us this season. We hammered them at their home and they hammered us at our place so we’re very motivated.

“We know how important it is but we all believe what we can do. We all trust each other and it’s up to us to make people proud of us again.”

The Warriors, along with members of the media, visited Haigh Hall FootGolf on Monday afternoon as part of a team bonding exercise.

On the trip, Wane said: “It was always planned, we showed the players how many times we could have got Castleford so it was a positive training session in the morning.

“The players are working really hard but it’s important that they still have some downtime at the minute. When they get closer to the game on Friday then they can start getting revved up a bit but we just needed them to have a bit of time together and enjoy each others company.”

On Friday’s game, Wane said the team were using the last clash with Saints as motivation for the game: “I’ve shown some clips from last time we played Saints and we defended quite well.

“There were some little things like a kick through and Sam (Tomkins) droped it, normally Sam would collect those sorts of kicks so there’s ways of fixing it but we’re very positive.

“We missed some chances last time we played them so we need to make sure we take those this time and get our attack back to where it should be.”

For more information on UK FootGolf and to book a game at Haigh Hall CLICK HERE.

Wigan Warriors face St Helens at the DW Stadium on Friday 19th August, 8pm kick-off. Tickets for the game start from £22 for adults, £15 for concessions and juniors and are available from the DW Stadium Ticket Office, the Ticket Hotline – 0871 6633 552 and online HERE.

http://www.wiganwarriors.com/news/2016- ... X1OWpoq.99
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
medlocke

Re: Make People Proud

Post by medlocke »

Not as long as you are coach, His ego's that big he can't even see he is the biggest problem at the club :angry:
Wandering Warrior

Post by Wandering Warrior »

Nothing we've not heard before but in different words. It must be getting towards squeeky bum time for SW I think!
When John Byrom plays on snow, he doesn't leave any footprints - Jimmy Armfield
shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

Yes, play some rugby and entertain.
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
Wintergreen

Post by Wintergreen »

shaunedwardsfan​club​ wrote:Yes, play some rugby and entertain.
That's pretty much it in a nutshell.

Effort - 100%
Skill and guile - 25%
Wigan Watcher

Post by Wigan Watcher »

Don't make me proud, I'm not interested in being proud. I'm only interested in being entertained. SW need to rethink his philosophy on what the fans want.

Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

I said on another thread that I have never felt so disassociated to a Wigan team, the bond between fans and the club is at an all time low.

It sounds like wane bashing for the sake of it but I do feel like he's almost stole the Wigan team from the fans. In the past all the coaches have worked hard to make Wigan great some have failed noble and millward two stand outs, but the biggest failure in my eyes is sw. Everything is about him, what he does, what he thinks, what he feels, his goals, his Wigan. It's like Wigan is his personal property like a child that he will decide what's best for and him alone. He's created a rift between fans and the club because the fans feel they have no say - now while that's true of most clubs it's like wane is against the fans again like a parent who has their child critised he won't hear it, he knows what's best so shut up you interfering lot.

This season is a low point for me in my years supporting Wigan
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
bill.inger

Post by bill.inger »

If Waney, and to a lesser extent KFC are trying to play mind games with their respective supporters, they're both on a loser.
Neither of them are smart enough for a start to kid long standing fans and if they were, it wouldn't wash with the majority. Better leaving that psycho stuff to Ferguson and latterly, the chosen one.
All Wane has to do is put a team out that will entertain us with the standard of rugby we're used to, not 'yed down, thrutch and an aimless kick'.
Lately I'd rather watch Cass than Wigan, isn't that a terrible admission.
TrueBlueWarrior

Post by TrueBlueWarrior »

I personally don't want to be entertained, I want to win! Winning a huge % of games in my opinion would keep fans happy and with the winning of games regularly I think the entertaining would look after itself due to an increase in player confidence!!
'If you start listening to the fans it won't be long before you're sitting with them.' - Wayne Bennett
Wigan Watcher

Post by Wigan Watcher »

I don't understand anyone who doesn't want to be entertained. This is our way of enjoyment, it is our time of pleasure to watch our team make us feel good and give us memories we embellish over the years to come. Without them there is no point of watching the game!