pessimism!!!

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
The Greatest brain

YES FATTY SMITH

Post by The Greatest brain »

I refute this nonsense about him carrying this injury, that doesn't stop you from carrying the ball securly does it?
Anyways he is on a holiday.
I would much rather watch a team full of the likes of Lockyer, Johns, Webke, Tallis, Tahu, Gidley, Macdougall, Hill etc then seeing a load of yobs from golborne and wigan playing at the JJB.
John M

LOL

Post by John M »

You gotta laugh at the brain,he says what he sees doesnt he?
Monie is God!

Long live Monie the king!!
wanny

Bibey

Post by wanny »

Whilst were on the subject of props i hope bibey learns to use his size more! i mean the guys BIG and at the beginning of last season he just wasnt putting his weight around and FLAT FEET! the guy plods along like a sumo! either use it or loose Bibey. Having said that he put it around if the challenge cup final apart from that NO DICE!!

as for the other lads get rid of Ainscough get briscoe in and hodgeson and put tickle in second row with wilde and farrell at loose let them get some regular games under there belts then move farrell to second and wilde to loose. What do you think?
PD

mercenaries ?

Post by PD »

"Sack that pair and sign Lockyer and Joey JOhns and scotty Hill.
"

A team of hired guns may work occasionally in the NRL but it sure as hell isn't working in SL.The game is slowly being bled dry by the demand for BIG NAMES to put bums on seats.
I'd rather pay to watch youngsters give 100% for the shirt,than watch mercenaries on holiday.
Just another Wigan fan
The Greatest brain

I can deal

Post by The Greatest brain »

A team with a load of imports is okay for me as long as they win. getting someone like Jonah Lomu to sit on the wigan wing along with wendell sailor would fill the JJB and we would win something aswell.
Mike
Site Admin

PD's right

Post by Mike »

I'm with PD on this one.

I'd rather see a team full of Wiganers improving, rather than a load of mercenary pensioner Aussies out for a last fat pay-day putting nothing back into the British game.

If we're going to recruit Aussies they need to be young and hungry - I still think it was a shame that we couldn't persuade Willie Peters to stay, he could've made a stalwart Wiganer eventually.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
John M

Peters

Post by John M »

Well he went back so he could try and get in the Aussie team didnt he?
Hes about as much chance as Ainscough being named best centre in the world.
Still,you cant blame him for trying but from what ive seen of him over there he looks second rate.He did have a few good games for us though but i dont think he was that good.Lam is miles better if only he could be more consistant in the big games.
BTW,if having Andrew Johns or Darren Lockyer means having old pensioners then so it be,they are both class acts of the highest order and only a fool would not want such stars in their team.If they can still perform then age doesnt mean a thing.
Monie is God!

Long live Monie the king!!
DaveO

Contracts

Post by DaveO »

Feeble brain said something along the lines of sacking Faz and Rads would free up cash for other players.

Well first off we don't know what these players are on and secondly, top NRL stars won't come here for peanuts. They are not going to give up a chance of an NRL grand final and/or origin and international selection to help Wigan save on wages.

Even if there was any sense in getting rid of these two on money grounds you would have to shell out an equal amount to replace them.

The only player we know anything about money-wise is Farrell who signed a six year deal reported (at the time he signed the contract)as being worth a million quid. That is approx 160 odd thousand a year.

Not excessive in my book for one of the best players in the British game.

Dave
DaveO

Older Aussies

Post by DaveO »

JohnM said: "BTW,if having Andrew Johns or Darren Lockyer means having old pensioners then so it be,they are both class acts of the highest order and only a fool would not want such stars in their team.If they can still perform then age doesnt mean a thing."

The trouble is age means they are less likely to still be able to perform. You only have to look at Criag Smith and David Furner to see how many niggling injuries kept them out of the Wigan side or meant they were playing at less than 100% fitness last season.

If a club signs players at 30 or older you can almost guarentee their better days are behind them. Sometimes such players are still good enough to get in the first team here but that is only because the standard is lower than the NRL and signing them just helps keep it that way.

I am sick of clubs signing big (and not so big) named Aussies who are past their prime. I want to see them here on the top of their game and if they won't come when they are, I would sooner they never come at all.

The overseas quota is going down to three in next few years and that ought to concentrate the minds of clubs on signing good Aussies rather than second rate players. If it does not work out that way at least we will have fewer second rate Aussies in our game.

I am realistic about next season in that with the youngsters I don't expect to win a trophy but that does not mean I am pessimistic. I would love a strong experienced centre like Renouf, but say aged about 26, to come here but we aint going to get one so we will have to make do.

I think we will come up short over physically big sides like Bradford and Leeds but we will still finish in the the top five and the season after, we will better with the kids more experienced and they will bulk up.

Dave