Leave off Whelan for a change!!

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
John M

Leave off Whelan for a change!!

Post by John M »

Jeez,if it was not for this man we would probrably be in the NFP!!
You lot see him spending loads on Orrell and Wigan Atheletic.Do you not see why?
Whelan has his hands tied by the stupid salary cap.He has openly stated that he wants to spend money on players for Wigan RL but cant.He virtually told the RFL along with Lindsay that if he cant spend his money on Wigan RL then he would have no choice than to spend it on a RU side (Orrell) People then jumped the gun thinking he would turn the RL side into a RU side when he was referring to Orrell.
Cant you lot see that its the salary cap that is bringing Wigan RL down to the standards of the lower teams,not Atheletic or Orrell.
By reducing the amount of world class players in the Wigan team like your Renoufs,Johns,Fittlers,Lockyers etc then you slowly lose the glory hunting fans.Maybe us hardcore RL fans will pay our money to watch the young kids but to the glory hunters these young kids are nothing more than amateurs off the streets of Wigan.A look at the Wigan team next year does not look good to a glory hunter.Filled with 18-19 year old lads glory hunters wont pay 12-14 quid to watch them when they can go watch The Latics or Orrell who actually look like going places.Say what you want but next year Wigan RL looks to be going nowhere.Why should we attract new supporters when we have let big name players go and brought in nobodys to replace them?
Its not Whelans fault though,he cant do anything about it.Blame the salary cap.
Monie is God!

Long live Monie the king!!
Bilko

I agree.

Post by Bilko »

We owe Whelan a lot. If it was not for him professional sport in this town would probably be dead. We'd would definetly be in the NFP now if it was not for him.
wanny

Whelan

Post by wanny »

I know that whelan cannot help Wigan due to the salary cap!

But i do feel that Wigan over the past 5years have had this THING about buying old Aussies? look at Greg Florimo (think thats spelt right) He was a world beater we got rid of Henry Paul who was younger and get Greg and what happens! He does absolutley nowt! Same thing with Johns!! he was even worse than florimo!! There are others too which we paid big money for and did nothing! This is what made Wigans wage bill HUGE and were still feeling the affects now.
John M

????

Post by John M »

How can that of made Wigans wage bill huge when they dont play for Wigan anymore?
The only players you can blame for making the wage bill huge are the ones who are here now.What has Johns or Florimo got to do with us getting under the salary cap?
Players like Farrell,Lam,Radlinski etc are the ones to blame for demanding such huge wages.Obviously Wigans high profile players must be demanding more than the rest because Wigan now have to lose players whilst other teams seem to be signing players for the new season.
Monie is God!

Long live Monie the king!!
DaveO

Where Whelan spends his money

Post by DaveO »

JohnM you are wrong when you say we should not blame Whelan for spending his dosh on Athletic and Orrell because he is prevented from doing so by the salary cap.

He is not forced to spend his money on Orrell or Athletic, he spends it on them because he chooses to do so.

Given the salary cap is a fact of RL life he could still find lots of ways to spend his money on Wigan RL to get them to the top of the pile and keep them there.

Given he can't spend it on players wages he could provide them with the best off-field preparation going, best facilities, best phsyios, sports phsycologists and so on. We could have an army of back room staff to rival Man Utd if he chose.

He could invest in an unprecidented mareting campaign and that could be used to educate the public that seeing Wigan lads beat the teams made up of imported ringers other sides choose to field was a good thing.

Because he thinks the only way to get bums on seats is by signing Aussies (who may not come anyway now the UK and Aussie seasons are on at the same time) and he no longer can, he has given up it seems. That is very one dimensional IMO.

So he choses to spit the dummy out and spend his cash elsewhere on a rival code of Rugby that would still quite happily see RL out of the way.

I could almost understand (but not condone) him walking away from Wigan RL but actively putting cash into a sport competeing the the fans Wigan RL needs back in the stadium leaves me questioning his motives just as the fact he put an impossible deal to Jack Robinson to buy Central Park did back then when that was going down.

If he was single mindedly behind Wigan RL he would not be doing this despite salary cap restrictions and I think Wigan RL fans will never be comfortable with him owning the club despite, as you say, without him we would be in the NFP or worse.

Dave

steve

whelan

Post by steve »

hes bought a new stadium with excelent facilities. How much backroom staff do u want? personally I think we have to many as it is. Wigan have one of the best up and coming squads. they have realised that using old aussies is wrong. We might not win next season but we will the season after. wigans squad is one for the future. it bodes well for wigan and great britain. look what they just did to the aussies. Wigan will be there or there abouts at the end of the season u will see.
PD

backroom staff

Post by PD »

I'd say the niggling injuries & low team morale last seaon,was a fair indication that Wigan RL did NOT have a backroom staff.Or at least not one that was functioning well !!
A good physio & trainer team can prevent the many small injuries player sustain from turning into season ending problems.
Defence,attack,kicking skills & tactics all require coaches to stay up to speed with problems in those areas,as they develop during the season.
Although the skipper is responsible for the team's on field morale,a good team manager is needed to take care of the many arrangements & problems that sometimes threaten the team's cohesive structure.

YES...A nice stadium,with lots of features is good for the fans,but apart from being full of supportive fans cheering their team on,it's benefit to "the team" is negligible.The benefit of a skilled & committed backroom staff however is huge.

A team that keeps it's players morale & health in good shape will always succeed.

BTW Steve......I agree !! We have a great bunch of youngsers coming through.
Just another Wigan fan
DaveO

Where are they?

Post by DaveO »

Steve said: "How much backroom staff do u want? personally I think we have to many as it is."

How do you work that one out? I wish I new where these backroom staff were or what they did.

Have you seen the official club web site? Is it ever updated? That is the sort of thing a club as big as Wigan should have taped up and being the first port of call for fans for news, not sites such as Mikes however good they are.

There is no marketing of the club and even Lindsay now spends time running Orrell as well as Wigan RL. He should be focused on Wigan RL only.

How many other of the backroom staff spend time on Orrell or Latics? I read somewhere the offical Latics web site is updated regularly.

In contrast Wigan RL looks amateurish off-field in comparions to virtually every other club.

We are owned by Whelan and does JJB promote Wigan RL in the JJB stores? Does it push the likes of Andy Farrell to the front of its marketing capaigns and in so doing help promote the club and game of RL?

No.

Whelan bank-rolls the club and gives them a ground to play at but unless he and Lindsay organise the backroom staff to actually make something of the club and its name for how much longer will this continue?

And as to more sports related back-room staff, there are quite a few who question the conditioning of the players. Don't forget we started last season with Sculthopre sidelined for months with a bad back picked up doing weights.

How was he allowed to injure himself like that? The backroom staff should have been monitoring him close enough to prevent him from over-doing it.

As I said if Whelan wanted to he could employ a premiership standard of physios, sports phycologists, strength coaches, sprint coaches and so in with the money he would have spent on players if it were not for the salary cap.

We used to have Bill Hartley as sprint coach didn't we?

I recall some player claiming he taught him how to run properly and so he gained a few yards of pace.

Do we have a sprint coach anymore? I bet we don't.

Dave
steve

media

Post by steve »

I agree with that dave o. I posted not so long ago about the only new merchandise that is coming out at the moment is new wigan shirts that are crap and made by patrick. But the england squad (sorry its football) got phsicologysts and all that crap look where they got. U are only as good as the players u have got and last season we got to many injuries.