our most successful coach of the Super League era

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
DaveO

Re: our most successful coach of the Super League era

Post by DaveO »

If stats matter then who is the most successful team in the SL era?

Isn't it Leeds? If so I am pretty sure they have had a higher turnover of coaches than we have so surely the only conclusion is we should have had a higher turnover of coaches ;)
thegimble

Post by thegimble »

DaveO wrote:If stats matter then who is the most successful team in the SL era?

Isn't it Leeds? If so I am pretty sure they have had a higher turnover of coaches than we have so surely the only conclusion is we should have had a higher turnover of coaches ;)
How successful were we when changing coaches every 12-15 months from 1999-2004. Unfortunate with Gregory think we would have gone on to good things with him. Even after that we changed and never made a final.

Leeds changed coaches yes but not that often. What did not change much with the core of the side.

DaveO

Post by DaveO »

thegimble wrote:

How successful were we when changing coaches every 12-15 months from 1999-2004. Unfortunate with Gregory think we would have gone on to good things with him. Even after that we changed and never made a final.

Leeds changed coaches yes but not that often. What did not change much with the core of the side.

I was playing devil's advocate. Adam's stat is very selective and pretty meaningless. McDermott is the most successful SL coach by some distance and even Noble has one more GF win to his name when at Bradford than Wane. Good grief even Millward has an overall better record with 2 GF's and 2 CC wins. Saying Wane is our most successful SL era coach unfortunately isn't as impressive a stat as it should be. It's a bit like saying Radford is Hull's!

AdamMac

Post by AdamMac »

True Dave. But its factually correct.
thegimble

Post by thegimble »

DaveO wrote:
thegimble wrote:

I was playing devil's advocate. Adam's stat is very selective and pretty meaningless. McDermott is the most successful SL coach by some distance and even Noble has one more GF win to his name when at Bradford than Wane. Good grief even Millward has an overall better record with 2 GF's and 2 CC wins. Saying Wane is our most successful SL era coach unfortunately isn't as impressive a stat as it should be. It's a bit like saying Radford is Hull's!

Most stats are tbh.

I look at teams more over a period and since IL has taken over we are a lot more successful. But from 1999-2009 was a barren period for us with virtually nothing.

And we should have won more under Wane I agree we have thrown away final apperances.
No straw damn us

Post by No straw damn us »

Since Wane took over at Wigan they have won more league games than any other team, their average finishing position has been higher than any other team, they've got to four out of five Grand Finals winning two, won the Challenge Cup and the League Leaders shield and finished runners up on three occasionas.
In short the FACT is that they have been the most consistant team in Superleague whilst he has been in charge.
thegimble

Post by thegimble »

No straw damn us wrote:Since Wane took over at Wigan they have won more league games than any other team, their average finishing position has been higher than any other team, they've got to four out of five Grand Finals winning two, won the Challenge Cup and the League Leaders shield and finished runners up on three occasionas.
In short the FACT is that they have been the most consistant team in Superleague whilst he has been in charge.
Hope you did not think I am running him down. As much as I have complained about the last 18 months attack I also credit him for what cam before.

Under extreme pressure he did something no other coach apart from Mike Gregory could do and motivate a side to another level. That has no right to win the grand final to do so by performing as it did the last 4 games is a big credit to him.

Just hope we can have more attacking class next season.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

DaveO wrote:
thegimble wrote:

At least somebody understands stats
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

No straw damn us wrote:Since Wane took over at Wigan they have won more league games than any other team, their average finishing position has been higher than any other team, they've got to four out of five Grand Finals winning two, won the Challenge Cup and the League Leaders shield and finished runners up on three occasionas.
Which is where they should have been or are you ignoring where and what he inherited? of course you are Rogues. Your tongue is covered in the brown stuff yet you hid like a coward re Bilko. Gutless.
thegimble

Post by thegimble »

cpwigan wrote:
Which is where they should have been or are you ignoring where and what he inherited? of course you are Rogues. Your tongue is covered in the brown stuff yet you hid like a coward re Bilko. Gutless.
Here we go again. You have made your point re last night.