Matty Smith

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Matty Smith

Post by josie andrews »

Wigan have confirmed Matty Smith is leaving the club & has signed for St. Helens from 2017
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
josie andrews

Re: Matty Smith

Post by josie andrews »

Smith to leave Wigan

Matty Smith to leave Wigan Warriors and join St Helens ahead of 2017

Smith leaves Wigan after highly successful four-and-a-half year period

Smith leaves Wigan having won two Super League titles, a Challenge Cup and League Leader’s Shield

Wigan Warriors announce that Scrum-half, Matty Smith, will leave the Club and join St Helens ahead of the 2017 season.

The 29-year-old England international leaves Wigan after a successful four-and-a-half year period during which he helped the team be crowned Super League champions twice as well as winning the Challenge Cup and League Leader’s Shield, once. His finest moment in a Wigan shirt came in 2013 when he was awarded the Lance Todd Trophy for his man of the match performance in the Challenge Cup Final win over Hull.

In total, Matty Smith played 139 games for Wigan scoring 22 tries, kicking 304 goals and a Club record 25 drop-goals.

Wigan Warriors Chairman, Ian Lenagan, commented:

“This was a particularly difficult decision for everyone involved and one that was made after much thought and consideration.

“St Helens approached Wigan earlier this year to discuss Matty’s future and made it clear that they would be willing to offer him a long-term contract; an additional two years beyond that which Matty had remaining on his contract at Wigan. With George Williams firmly established as an important First Team player and Thomas Leuluai re-joining the Club shortly in great form together with the emergence of Jake Shorrocks and the cover that Sam Powell brings, we felt that the time was right in view of his tremendous service to Wigan for Matty to take up this new opportunity and secure his long-term future.

Matty is a fine professional and a fantastic person who will remain friends with everyone at the Wigan Club. We wish him well with his new team, just not on Good Friday!”

Wigan Warriors Head Coach, Shaun Wane, said:

“With long-term injuries to many key players this year Matty played in all but one game and led the team exceptionally well throughout the season. He has become a real leader of the team over the last four and a half years and he will always have my upmost respect.

“We’re saddened to be losing a fantastic player and person but delighted that Matty was able to leave the Club as a Super League Champion. It is fitting of his efforts whilst wearing the Cherry and White of Wigan.”

http://www.wiganwarriors.com/news/2016- ... rg2l0YP.99
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
Green Machine

Post by Green Machine »

Wow, that's a surprise. :wink: with Tommy coming back I did think he would leave. Good luck to him. Wonder who will do the kicking now.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Green Machine wrote:Wow, that's a surprise. :wink: with Tommy coming back I did think he would leave. Good lucky to him. Wonder who will do the kicking now.
Jake Shorrocks :)
Green Machine

Post by Green Machine »

Only if he's on the pitch. ????
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

A quick look on the Saints board on rlfans and feelings about this have been mixed since the rumour started. Most negative.

I saw one post suggesting Smith may have looked average at times due to the strict structure at Wigan imposed by Wane. I guess we will now get to see, assuming KFC plays him differently.

For us it is TL to 7, Williams at 6 and Shorrocks and Powell as backups.

We also need a goal kicker but then that isn't a new requirement!
thegimble

Post by thegimble »

Good luck to him did well for us.

As for the kicker will be Sam Tomkins unless we make a move for Todd Carney (I know could be a visa issue). NRL have stopped him going back.

Kicker has to play the 80 minutes. Can Bateman kick he can do everything else.

We usually let players go before announcing just hope this is the case.
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

Good luck to the lad the worst kept secret of the season,I wish him well and thank him as a fan for his efforts.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

fozzieskem wrote:Good luck to the lad the worst kept secret of the season,I wish him well and thank him as a fan for his efforts.
Me too
Barney841

Post by Barney841 »

Thank god that's over with. Never been a big fan of his but could never fault his passion and effort.