Good to be Back

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Good to be Back

Post by josie andrews »

Joe Burgess can’t wait for 2017 season to start

Burgess set to re-join Wigan after one year in the NRL

Winger already eyeing up Cronulla World Club Challenge game

Joe Burgess says he can’t wait for 2017 to start as he gets set for his Wigan return.
Burgess, 22, will don the Cherry and White once again in 2017 after re-joining the Club following one year in the NRL.

The former Wigan winger will once again linkup with Oliver Gildart as the pair look to form a deadly combination.

On his return, Burgess said: “The weather’s a bit different than what I’m use to but it is good to be back with my family and friends and now I can’t wait for next year.

“Oli and I have been good mates for quite a while so I’m sure it will be good playing alongside each other.

“We played together in the 2015 Grand Final and in the run up to that and when we were younger too for school. We both went to St Edmund Arrowsmith and he played the year above so I played alongside him then too.”

Burgess is currently in rehab following off-season surgery on a hernia but will be back ahead of the season starting.
The Warriors begin away at Salford before hosting Cronulla Sharks in the 2017 World Club Challenge.

The game offers Burgess another chance to have a crack at an NRL side and on the Sharks, he said: “They’re a tough side and it’ll be a good challenge for all of us. It’s always good to play in those games, it’s always a real test.

“I know it wasn’t as good last year but the year before it was quite a close game and hopefully we can make it the same again.”

Burgess scored one of Wigan’s tries as they lost to Brisbane in extra time in 2015 and said: “I didn’t have the best of games that night but I ended up getting that late try.

“It was good to get the try and I’d love to do it again this time, but for the win.”

http://www.wiganwarriors.com/news/2016- ... FdYtkcF.99
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan