Wane Urges Side to Perform

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Wane Urges Side to Perform

Post by josie andrews »

Shaun Wane urges Wigan team to perform

Warriors Head Coach doesn’t want his side to undersell themselves

Wigan face Cronulla Sharks in the 2017 Dacia World Club Challenge at the DW Stadium on Sunday 19th February, 3pm

Shaun Wane has urged his Wigan team to perform ahead of their World Club Challenge showdown with Cronulla Sharks.

The Super League Champions host the NRL Champions at the DW Stadium on Sunday afternoon looking to rewrite the history books and become the first team to win a World Club Challenge four times.

Wigan lost to Brisbane last year in the World Club Series having agonisingly lost in extra-time the year before, again to the Broncos.

“We’ve not nailed a performance this last few years,” said Wane.

“I want us to put in a complete performance. I want us to attack well and really put them under pressure for 80 minutes because when they get the ball they’ll do the same.

“One thing I can’t handle is my team underselling themselves and that’s what we’ve done this last few years. As long as we are at our best then I’m sure we’ll test Cronulla.”

Wane named the same 19-man squad that beat Salford in last week’s Betfred Super League opener for Sunday’s game.

John Bateman, a late withdrawal at Salford with a muscle spasm, is expected to face the Sharks.

Wane said: “John was touch and go for the Salford game so he’ll be ok for Sunday.

“It’s a pretty strong squad we’ve got to pick from, the strongest for a long time so we’re looking forward to it.”

On their opponents, Wane is under no illusions as to how good this Cronulla team is.

“They’re a big athletic team, they were worthy winners of the NRL Grand Final last year,” he said.

“I watch a lot of the NRL, I watch every game every week in fact to try to improve my knowledge. I know what Cronulla are about, they’re a good team to watch.

“They’ve got two halves who like to play, they have slightly different styles but both have a good running game, both are a good threat. I’m not sure which way they’ll go at nine having brought three hookers over but they’ll be strong.

“There’s a lot at stake, it’s the mantle of being World Club Champions. It means a lot to us and a lot to Cronulla, they’ve come all of this way to try and win it so there will be plenty of desire from each team.”

Wigan Warriors face Cronulla Sharks in the 2017 Dacia World Club Challenge at the DW Stadium this Sunday. Tickets are still available from £22 adults, £16 concessions and £12 juniors from the DW Stadium Ticket Office, the Ticket Hotline on 0871 66-33-552 and online using the print@home option HERE

http://wiganwarriors.com/news/2017-02-1 ... FzrDwRG.99
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan