Lockers Rallies Fans

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Lockers Rallies Fans

Post by josie andrews »

Sean O’Loughlin rallies the Wigan fans

Skipper urges fans to get behind the boys this week against Leigh

Wigan set to face Leigh in first Super League meeting since 2005

Wigan Captain Sean O’Loughlin has urged the Wigan fans to get behind the boys again ahead of the Battle of the Borough on Friday evening.

Earlier today the Warriors named their 19-man squad for the game as they get set to face Leigh in the first Super League meeting between the teams since 2005.

Leigh owner, Derek Beaumont, has challenged the Leigh fans to turn out in force and with over 2,000 tickets sold the ticket office at Leigh Sports Village will even open late on Thursday to cope with demand.

O’Loughlin, who played the last time the two teams met at the DW in Super League, said: “It’s great to have Leigh back in Super League and to have this fixture, both teams and towns really look forward to it.

“I thinks it’s up there with Wigan and Saints, the rivalry is there, it always has been and always will be so to have them back in Super League and to be playing this fixture regularly is massive.

“It’s been a while (since the last meeting), it makes me feel old as well! They’re great games to be involved in. I remember going to watch a cup game in 2002 over at Hilton Park, I was in the First Team squad but wasn’t playing that day and the atmosphere was electric. To have these fixtures back in the calendar is great for Super League.

“The support we got, with over 2,000 people going to the game at such short notice last week was fantastic, we’re really grateful and if we can have the fans supporting us like that again this week it would be great.”

Leigh will head to the DW with no less than seven former Wigan players in their side with Danny Tickle, Harrison Hansen, Micky Higham, Gareth Hock and Ryan Hampshire all having featured for the First Team and Jamie Acton and Sam Hopkins having both also spent time at the Club.

“There’s a lot of blokes there who have been at this club and know what Wigan is about as well as Leigh,” O’Loughlin said.

“I think whenever a player comes up against a past club they always want to do well and turn them over and I’m sure they’ll be the same.

“I’m really looking forward to it, I’m sure all of their team will be as well. It should be a real physical one. Last week, the result was there but the performance wasn’t so we want to improve on that and put in a good performance.

“They (Leigh) didn’t have the best start against Cas but since then they’ve bounced back and last week they got the win against Saints and I’m sure they’ll take a lot from that.

“They’ve improved with every game and will want another win this week. It the same for us though, we’re early on in the season but points are really important and we want to pick up the two points and keep climbing that table.”

A crowd of 15,089 witnessed the last Super League Battle of the Borough at the DW Stadium in 2005 and pre-sales indicate another big crowd this time around. Tickets are still available from £22 adults, £16 concessions and £10 juniors from the DW Stadium Ticket Office, the Ticket Hotline on 0871 66-33-552 and online HERE

Members receive a £2 discount on adult tickets, £1 off concession and junior tickets with membership FREE with any ticket purchased for this game. For more details on memberships CLICK HERE.

http://www.wiganwarriors.com/news/2017- ... QpEpBQQ.99
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan