Proud Moment for the Davies Family

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Tom Davies follows in the footsteps of his great grandfather Gwynne Davies after making Wigan debut

Warriors winger makes debut in 16-all draw with Huddersfield

Davies says it was a proud moment for his family

Tom Davies says his Wigan debut was a proud moment for his family as he followed in the footsteps of his great grandfather to play for the Warriors.

Gwynne Davies, heritage number 344, played for the Wigan Club from 1930 to 1941 and the young winger admits it was special to become the next family member to pull on the famous Cherry and White jersey.

Speaking to Wigan TV after the game, Davies said: “We did our first session on Wednesday and then on Thursday Waney (Shaun Wane) pulled me in and told me I’d be playing but I still kept my fingers crossed in case anything else happened. I came in for the team run on Saturday and fortunately everything went ok and I was able to make my debut.

“It was a proud moment, they got my mum and dad in for the team meeting to present my shirt. My great granddad played for the club in the 1930s and my granddad played Rugby Union in the 60s. Rugby’s always been in the family so to get my debut was a really proud moment for me and my family.”

Davies joined the Wigan Academy as a trialist just a few years ago but soon developed into a good player picking up the Club’s Academy Player of the Year award last season.

On making his debut for the Club, he said: “I’ve been looking forward to it all week, it’s what you work for when you’re at the club and since I joined a few years ago it’s been a dream to make my debut so I’ve really enjoyed it.

“It’s never good for your teammates to get injured but it gives you an opportunity. I met with Waney before the Warrington game and I said to him “what do I need to do to play?” I just really wanted a game and fortunately he put me in this week.”

And on his debut try, he added: “I couldn’t believe it when I went over, it was like a dream come true, I just want to push myself now and see where I can improve and hopefully if I get another shot I can get a few more tries.”

CLICK HERE to see the full interview and a re-run of yesterday’s game, only on Wigan TV.

http://www.wiganwarriors.com/news/2017- ... qszqX5s.99
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan