Great Week for George

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Great Week for George

Post by josie andrews »

George Williams on Wigan’s 29-18 win over St Helens

Warriors make it eight Good Friday victories in a row

Williams assisted all of Wigan’s five tries

A Good Friday Derby win topped off a great week for George Williams as the Wigan half-back celebrated his new contract with the Warriors with another great performance as Wigan beat St Helens.

The 22-year-old signed a new four-year deal with the Warriors earlier in the week live on Facebook and showed exactly why Wigan wanted to secure his services as he pulled the strings down the left edge once again.

Speaking after the game, Williams said: “It was a good match and an enjoyable one, It doesn’t get much bigger than playing in a Wigan v Saints Derby. Fair play to them, they pushed us right to the death but we managed to snatch it and come out with the points and the pride of winning it.

On the contract, he said: “I feel good. It’s a bit of a relief to finally put pen to paper and I can focus on my Rugby now. It’s been going on for a couple of months, a lot of speculation and other interest, but the deal is done and I’m a Wigan player for the next four years.”

Yet to taste defeat in a Good Friday Derby, the England international is keen to keep that streak going: “I’ve not lost a Good Friday derby since I broke into the first team, so it is something that I am keen to carry on. It’s a nice little claim to have over your rivals so we’ll be hoping to add a few more wins in Good Friday ties.”

The stand-off twice linked up with team mate Joe Burgess to get over the whitewash. Asked about their link up play, Williams said: “We’ve played together since we were 14-years old, so we kind of know what each other is going to do. It was perfect really, he was running through the line at the right time for me to dink it over. It’s not just happened once, we’ve managed to link up a few times over the eight years.”

http://www.wiganwarriors.com/news/2017- ... ZzLQ2do.99
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan