Fans outside of Wigan

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Mrs Lifter

Re: Fans outside of Wigan

Post by Mrs Lifter »

Well from Cumbria depends on game day
Thursday work in Bolton so no problem straight from work long day though leave home 6.30am back home 11.30pm couple times m6 shut had to divert through Preston
Friday work from home leave at 5.00 just in case rush hour traffic and the roadworks at Lancaster.
Sunday fantastic drive there and back :D
Is there no one local who you can share the drive with or take turns?
BriH

Post by BriH »

Born in Whitehaven, travelled down to Central Park then the JJB before moving to Germany in 2000 because of my wife's job with the British Army Germany Health Service.
When she retired, 3 years ago, we decided to stay here for the foreseeable future.
Don't travel well - medical problems - so restricted to buying the Matchday Programme - great read and watching on Sky.
Miss the atmosphere but........Joe Mills and Bilko make up for it on Wish FM.
And, being on this site!! Of course. Greatest Fans who support the Greatest Club!!!!!! :D :D :D :D
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

I lived in Aberdeen in the nineties, when we played Saturday and Sunday.

I used to drive down for every home game, then round trip then of 728 miles!

Think it's round about 50 miles less now they've upgraded the dual carriageways into motorways.

Was also a member of the Knights which is now Wigan Lotto ????
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

OAMJSON wrote:i find it or reet travelling in from Hindley
When I used to divert off the M6 to pick my late Dad up from Hindley Green on the way in from Chester the traffic through Hindley and Ince just added to the rubbish already experienced on the motorway!
5miler

Post by 5miler »

Live in Heysham. About 50 minutes each way now the Lancaster-Morecambe bypass is open. J34 roadworks all but done now.
Wiganer Ted

Post by Wiganer Ted »

For those who travel from Chester and North Wales and have delays on the A55/M56/M6. I don't know if you ever tried it but going via the M53/Mersey Tunnell/Liverpool to Aintree then M58 to Orrell . I go on the M53 at jct 2 and it takes 40 mins to Orrell. Might be worth a try but the downside may be the £1.70 Mersey Tunnel toll. Quite a decent journey really.
pieeater

Post by pieeater »

Born n Bred in Wigan.first match Cup Final 1948 with my dad.Season ticket till we moved to Cork /Kerry border in 2001.Come over regularly 600 m round trip via Holyhead. Second home The Brocket!!!
Usually drive home with car full of uncooked pies for freezer.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
BriH

Post by BriH »

josie andrews wrote:I lived in Aberdeen in the nineties, when we played Saturday and Sunday.

I used to drive down for every home game, then round trip then of 728 miles!

Think it's round about 50 miles less now they've upgraded the dual carriageways into motorways.

Was also a member of the Knights which is now Wigan Lotto ????

Me too Josie - still got my card with a very young Jason Robinson + Terry O'Connor dressed in suits of armour!!!

EDINBURGH-WARRIOR

Post by EDINBURGH-WARRIOR »

nitsua wrote:
pieeater wrote:Born n Bred in Wigan.first match Cup Final 1948 with my dad.Season ticket till we moved to Cork /Kerry border in 2001.Come over regularly 600 m round trip via Holyhead. Second home The Brocket!!!
Usually drive home with car full of uncooked pies for freezer.
Oh!, I do envy you Pieeater!! I'm always telling my friends here in Northern Ireland, that they have not had a tasty pie until they have tasted one in Wigan.
There is a stall in St Georges Market Belfast that sells cracking pies on a Sunday morning (cant remember the name offhand ) . Have one most Sunday Mornings with a large mug off coffee to recover from the Irish hospitality lol

Regards , EW
2002 and EW is hooked
markill

Post by markill »

I don't envy the people who travel hours to get to games but I heartily respect them for getting to any games that they can - probably moan less about the travel than Wigan-local fans moan about travel to away games!(and the same goes for all other club's local fans)

We (me and my family) travel in from the Fylde, so about 45-50 minutes average. All away trips involve passing signs for Wigan on either the M6 or M61 for us.
in the world of mules, there are no rules

LATEST PODCAST EPISODE
https://www.spreaker.com/user/superleaguepod