Cup Crazy

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Cup Crazy

Post by josie andrews »

Wigan Warriors Head Coach Shaun Wane speaks about Wigan’s affinity with the Challenge Cup

Warriors begin 2017 campaign at Swinton on Sunday

Tickets still available from the DW Stadium Ticket Office

Shaun Wane has spoken of the great affinity the town of Wigan has with the Challenge Cup ahead of Sunday’s game with Swinton Lions.

The Warriors begin their 2017 Ladbrokes Challenge Cup campaign with a trip to Heywood Road to take on Swinton this weekend.

Having won the famous competition 20 times the Wigan Club lead the way followed by Leeds (13), St Helens (12), Warrington (8) and Widnes (7). Wane knows only too well what the Cup means to the town.

He said: “Every single club in the competition will want to go as far as they can and as a town we have a great affinity with the Challenge Cup – we’ve won it more times than anyone else and it’s a competition we really enjoy.

“I went down a few years ago (to Wembley) and we beat Hull and it was one of the best weekends of my life and I’d love to do it again but so would every other coach.”

Having had chance to review Wigan’s last outing against Salford, Wane said he was less impressed the more he watched it back.

“We did some good things at the end of the game but we left it too late,” he said.

“The more I’ve watched it the more disappointed I’ve been. In the grand scheme of things with Josh Ganson playing and us losing players and others not playing and us not being strong in the halves we did ok but I still think we could have done a lot better.

“I know we can improve and we will. We gave the players a few days off and we’ll get some good work into them this week.”

Wane said he felt Wigan could have done better against Salford having reviewed the game

Sean O’Loughlin missed the game due to captaining England in the Pacific Test against Samoa in Sydney.

On his skipper, Wane said: “I thought he led the side really well and it was a good performance from England. I was a bit disappointed with Samoa if I’m honest but England couldn’t have done much more.”

Wane said that O’Loughlin would be assessed for a calf problem later in the week with George Williams (knee) also having a fitness test on Saturday. Sam Powell (ankle) is not expected to feature this weekend but Nick Gregson is ok and has not broken his jaw as first feared.

Wane also added that Tommy Leuluai is recovering well from a broken jaw. Anthony Gelling is expected to be out for around 10 weeks with a knee problem whilst it is hoped that Sam Tomkins and John Bateman could return at the end of June.

Tickets and coach travel remain available for the game, for full details click HERE.

http://www.wiganwarriors.com/news/2017- ... WVWMHF8.99
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan