Connolly

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
pie eater and proud of it

Connolly

Post by pie eater and proud of it »

So hes signed for Leeds and turned out today for them against Cas. I have very mixed feelings about that.....reckon he could come back to haunt us.
If I were Maurice I would have probably tried to stop another super league club buying him if at all possible.
Bilko

We are well rid!

Post by Bilko »

I'm not saying he still isn't good enough, he is, but at 31 he'll only get worse and it's time for a new wave of talent to come through here at Wigan.

He is still a good hard working player defensively but in attack he has no pace anymore. I also have my doubts on whether he can stay fit.

He's been a great servant to Wigan but imo they have cut him at the right time. Youth is the key to our future.
Glynola

No pace?

Post by Glynola »

Not sure quite how you can say say he has no pace anymore.

He burned off Tony Stewart at Murrayfield, and has run Darren Albert down during the course of the season.

The time may be right to let him go, but he is still undoubtedly a quality player, and will be sorely missed in our weak 3/4 line next season.
Everything they do is so dramatic and flamboyant. It just makes me want to set myself on fire!
AJ

Gary

Post by AJ »

i know this isnt anyone on here yet, but here is my rant from bilkos board, sums up my thoughts on gary

people are to be frank - stupid!

how can people seriously call gary stupid, if anything he has turned down more money, fame & fortune in signing for leeds, than if he had played in the union world cup

you can guarntee that if he had been offered more years @ the jjb hed still be here!

this man week in and week out for the last 9 years has given flesh and bone and blood to us wigan fans, scoring many on many vital tries as well as savin many many tries, with what can simply be described as some of the best defence RL has and will ever see

the same man you are calling judas, whilst not on his own, played one helluva a massive part in the challange cup win, first getting us through that shite semi performance v cas and secondly scoring the decisive try in the final!

i for one will apllaud the legend when he runs out @ the jjb next season

thanks for everythin gary!

STRONGEST ARMS IN RL

"judas" - *shakes head in disgust*
Tipstar Champion 2002 !!!
pie eater and proud of it

????

Post by pie eater and proud of it »

I think I have missed something! Who's calling him Judas?
He has been a fantastic player for us over the years and I will be clapping him when he plays for Leeds against us too.
AJ

I didnt nitusa

Post by AJ »

i didnt say anything about anyone on this site about people calling gary a judas. i clearly state at the top of my post i just took my opinion from comments made on bilkos message board

http://www.rlfans.com/boards/phpBB2/vie ... 75950fb0ec

which starts with gary being called judas, so nitusa, you really should read the whole of a post, i didnt suggest it was anyone on this site
Tipstar Champion 2002 !!!
MattyB

Gary Connolly

Post by MattyB »

According to this weeks League Express, Gary's decision to join Leeds was based on the fact that he received a two year deal and at 31 he is financially secure for a couple of more years at least, plus the possibility of facing the Aussies at the end of the season, seems the press were to quick to retire him from internationals. ( May still score his first try for Britain yet ) !! Wigan just couldn't afford him due to Salary Cap, so I have no sour grapes.
I wish him all the best, don't think we will hear the chant's of Judas !!
Form is temporary, Class is permanent.
super-kris

gary

Post by super-kris »

well i was shocked 2 hear he ad gone 2 leeds as i thought he had retired form league for gud and gone to orrell
i am sure gary will be missed buy all the fans and the team. he was and still is a superb player adn i wish him all the luck in the world. same goes to funer to. hope he enjoys his time at leeds aswell.
Pengy

Was a good player but wont be missed.

Post by Pengy »

Like bilko said from here now he will only get worse. He Doesnt offer alot in attack and not scoring any tries for great britain shows that. People say he will be missed in our weak 3/4's. I dont really see how its weak my self. Hodgeson is improving every season and paul johnson will be fit for the start of the season and it was paul johnson who at one time was keeping gary connolly out of the side and is also a great britain player. We also have apinwall who looks a good prospect just needs abit more weight.