Newcastle Trip Excites Wane

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Newcastle Trip Excites Wane

Post by josie andrews »

Shaun Wane says trip to Newcastle excites him

Head coach says Wigan will use the trip to bond

Wigan face Warrington at 2017 Dacia Magic Weekend on Saturday, 7pm kick-off
Shaun Wane says a trip to the North East excites him ahead of Wigan’s Magic showdown with Warrington.

The Warriors face the Wolves at the 2017 Dacia Magic Weekend on Saturday, 7pm kick-off.

With the team set to travel on Friday and spend three days in a hotel Wane says the Warriors will look to use a game like this as a chance for the players to bond as a team.

“I love Newcastle but I love every venue,” he said.

“I like travelling and going somewhere. We use Magic as a real good bonding exercise with the players, having them all in the same hotel for three days - we have a great trip up there.

“This game means a lot to us too, our record at Newcastle is good and every Wigan v Warrington game is a tough encounter so this is going to be no different. They’re flying at the minute and we’re not but we need to make sure we get a performance.”

Wigan face Warrington for the second time this season. The Cherry and Whites ran out 38-16 winners in the game at the Halliwell Jones Stadium back in March but Wane insists their opponents will be a different side on Saturday.

“They’re playing with a lot more confidence, they’re a very good team, they have a lot of strong ball-carriers and you need to defend and make your one-on-ones.

“They love a quick ruck going forwards so we need to be very smart in defence, if we do that then we give yourselves a chance. They tend to play well against us but we play well against them and they’re always good games so it’s great for the fans.

“People are spending a lot of money travelling to Newcastle this weekend to see us play, it’s a big stadium and we’ve got a lot of people watching us so I want us to perform.”

Wane also spoke on the spate of injuries that has regularly seen him without a large number of players.

Sean O’Loughlin returns this weekend but eleven First Team players still remain sidelined however Wane refuses to be downbeat.

“I didn’t think it would happen again but the players have been great, when we’ve been down on numbers and had to call on our young academy players to come up and train with us but they’ve done well and our players have helped them too. Watching players like Micky Mcilorum, Taulima Tautai and Sean O’Loughlin working with those younger players in training it’s been really satisfying.

“Being down on numbers doesn’t get me down at all it’s just an opportunity to look at new people.”

Two players who have caught the eye this season are Tom Davies and Liam Marshall who were both handed new deals earlier in the week.

On the pair, Wane said: “They’ve impressed me massively, we knew they could play, the way they’ve been in training, how nice they are as people, how they’ve acquitted themselves has been great.”

Wigan face Warrington Wolves at the 2017 Dacia Magic Weekend on Saturday 20 May, 7pm with tickets available direct from the club.

To book tickets click HERE, call 0871 6633 552 or visit the DW Stadium Ticket Office in person. Tickets bought between now and 4pm on Friday must be collected in person from the DW Stadium Ticket Office or from St James’ Park on the day of the game. Coach travel is now SOLD OUT.

(Calls cost 10 pence per minute from a BT Landline. Calls from other networks and mobiles may cost more)

http://www.wiganwarriors.com/news/2017- ... WH35pZx.99
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan