Twitter Goes Holyfield Crazy

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Twitter Goes Holyfield Crazy

Post by josie andrews »

Twitter goes into overdrive as Evander Holyfield makes announcement

Boxing legend, turned Wigan fan, announces new deals for Liam Farrell, Joel Tomkins and Taulima Tautai

Fans delighted with the news and Evander’s announcement
Wigan Warriors, along with the help of a boxing legend, sent Twitter into overdrive yesterday afternoon when former heavyweight champion Evander Holyfield announced the contract renewals of Liam Farrell, Joel Tomkins and Taulima Tautai.
Holyfield, a keen fan of Basketball team Golden State Warriors tweeted ‘WiganWarriorsRL’ last week during an NBA game and since then has gone on to interact with the Club and fans on the social networking site.

With an important announcement to make, the Warriors turned to the boxing legend to see if he could help.

Taking up the story, Warriors Communications Executive, Tim Fisher, said:

“We do like to do things a little differently at Wigan, just last month we announced George Williams re-signing live on Facebook, in recent years we’ve also revealed the re-signing of Sam Tomkins on the big screen at half-time with Joel Tomkins also re-joining us by signing a contract on the pitch!

“We had a good chat about how we could go about announcing this great news to our fans and the wider world and that’s when Evander was mentioned by our General Rugby Manager, Kris Radlinski.

“Obviously we realise that Evander sent his tweet on Sunday in error but he saw the funny side of it and has engaged with us and Wigan fans several times this week.

“He seems a great bloke so we put the idea to him and he was more than happy to tweet out the news. We’re really grateful for his help and who knows? Maybe he can join us for a game at some point in the future.”

Making the announcement, Evander Holyfield tweeted to his 253,000 followers: “I know I tweeted @wiganwarriorsrl in error on Sunday but this is no mistake. L Farrell, J Tomkins & T Tautai have all signed new contracts!”

Reacting to the tweet, Stephen Lowe wrote: “Haha genius way of announcing the new deals!”

Lynn Kelly commented: “The legend that is @holyfield breaking news about signings for @WiganWarriorsRL I love u Evander!”

Anthony Bailey tweeted: “Absolute legend!!! Now my new favourite heavyweight boxer of all time.”

Holyfield has since tweeted saying he ‘needs to see a Wigan Warriors’ game. So far the announcement has been retweeted 266 times.

http://www.wiganwarriors.com/news/2017- ... 7vWydzU.99[/b]
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan