To make the semi's

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
kevbrown1980

Re: To make the semi's

Post by kevbrown1980 »

Exiled Wiganer wrote:I am not sure the maths works whichever way I look at it. Teams will take points off each other, but that works both ways. Salford, Cas and Leeds are already too far ahead and too good for us to overtake. Which means that we need to have a better record than Saints, Trinity and Hull FC. Even if we beat Hull and Trinity, they can stay above us by playing no better than they are now.

I can't see us winning tonight - nothing since March suggests we are good enough - and so could well be looking up at Saints (who will have played a game fewer) and 7/8 points behind the others.

If, say, we win against Warrington, we usually res players/lose matches either side of the big cup games. If we then get to Wembley, again we usually lose the games either side.

The only possible way I could see us getting into the 4 would be if we win tonight, and magically get everyone back fit and firing for 2 weeks time. Plus, possibly, losing to Wire - but that seems a very heavy price to pay.

For all Wane's refusal to look at the table, while looking to "fix a few things", we are now in a hole entirely of our own making whereby we almost certainly can't make the 4, and if we win against Wire, then Wembley becomes all or nothing. Great idea not to sort Bateman out in the off season, and not replace the measurably incompetent medical/conditioning department. Ironically, if we lose our next 2 games, then Wane's "no need to rush back" approach could well be appropriate, as we will be playing friendlies for the rest of the year.
Wow, I'm not sure I've ever read such a negative post, you must be where all the fun is at any party!
pearsy

Post by pearsy »

I wonder what Wane state of mind will be if we lose tonight?
thegimble

Post by thegimble »

pearsy wrote:I wonder what Wane state of mind will be if we lose tonight?
No ifs we will lose tonight.

Top 4 is gone and middle 8's are upon us. Reality is the club has given up on top 4 if the rumours re players returning next week are true.
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

I talk about other things than Wigan's prospects at parties...
(Anyway I am not in minority of 1 as even an 18th man columnist this week mentioned the MPG).
ian.birchall

Post by ian.birchall »

Well I am doing my best to turn it around.
Having lost match after match with Wish FM last weekend I decided not to listen at all, that didn't work either so I am coming off the bench at 8pm and will be listening on 5Sports extra to see if that works :D :D
Regarder une fille en bikini, c'est comme avoir un revolver chargé sur sa table:
Il n'y a rien de mal a ça mais il est difficile de penser à autre chose.

Now Europe is just for holidays.
moto748

Post by moto748 »

I've got a ticket but am casting anxious glances out of the window at the weather. Really don't like driving to games, with the hassle of parking and getting out afterwards, so would prefer to take the bike, but not if it's chucking it down.
ian.birchall

Post by ian.birchall »

ian.birchall wrote:Well I am doing my best to turn it around.
Having lost match after match with Wish FM last weekend I decided not to listen at all, that didn't work either so I am coming off the bench at 8pm and will be listening on 5Sports extra to see if that works :D :D
Well, that plan worked as well as Mays!!!!!!
Regarder une fille en bikini, c'est comme avoir un revolver chargé sur sa table:
Il n'y a rien de mal a ça mais il est difficile de penser à autre chose.

Now Europe is just for holidays.