That's it

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
TrueBlueWarrior

Re: That's it

Post by TrueBlueWarrior »

Dave-C wrote:
TrueBlueWarrior wrote:
Exiled Wiganer wrote:There is clearer a range of opinion from "just bad luck" to poor training, treatment and recovery. My money is very much on the latter, given that this is the 5th season in which pretty much every week has seen injury woes. As for allowing the people responsible for 5 years of easily injoured/slow returning players to audit themselves, I am firmly in the "you've got to be joking" camp.

Finally, there is also a cultural element - Fergie would ignore injured players, Mourinho belittles them. Wane love so them - delighting in how they're looking in the gym, being in no rush to get them back and nobody having anything to prove to him. Players with huge internal motivation like Clubb and Tommy simply highlight the never ending gym first, playing in 6 weeks culture.

1. Nobody has ever said we don't get training ground injuries.
2. The question is do we get more than other SL clubs because of our training regimes?
3. If someone is suggesting yes to point 2 please evidence it.
4. We clearly have had bad luck regarding the majority of our injuries, not due to training!
5. Finally, the bit highlighted....well I am lost for words, you now know exactly how Sir Alex, Jose and SW treat their injured players do you? Wow, just wow!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Appreciate you're entitled to your opinion but do you really believe in point 4, four seasons on the trot.....? As in bad luck? Funnily enough the time Wane took over.
I only recall the past 2 seasons where we have had serious injury issues, some like yourself say 3 now 4 and Exiled pumped it up to 5 years which I just don't recall at all. Anyway, the point is yes I think we have been really unlucky with injuries compared to other SL teams and unless someone shows me otherwise with hard facts/statistics I don't think we get more training ground injuries on average than any other SL club.
'If you start listening to the fans it won't be long before you're sitting with them.' - Wayne Bennett
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

[Happy Clapper alert: switch off now if you're of a weak or nervous disposition.]

Wane is a great coach. With 15 of our top 24 players missing, we competed with Leigh for 60-70 mins. Young Ganson looked good and will have gained from the experience.

Our defence on/near our tryline was, admittedly, very poor, but Theresa Wane immediately identified this and says he'll fix it quickly. I believe he will.

When we look back at 2017, we'll remember winning the WCC, maybe another GF, and all the young lads who broke into the 1st team.

As to "no plan B", it's not long since plan A was Waneball, lateral shifts in our own half. According to some, we needed to be tougher up the middle & tire out the opposition. Now that's all we do, but things haven't changed???

Then any success we had was down to Harris (what happened to him btw?) It's great to have this forum and let fans have their say, but the rampant pessimism, based on a mid-season dip during an injury crisis, does become a bit tedious - don't you think?

Cheer up, lads! Things could be worse, you could've been born on t'other side of the East Lancs.
Wigan ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Saints ⭐⭐⭐
jao711

Post by jao711 »

.Two weeks ago it was said nobody had called for Wane out,bit different this week.Frankly this board is getting like Redvee.
pearsy

Post by pearsy »

It not so much getting beat as the manner we are getting thrashed in these defeats .Same errors every week but Shaun will put it right ha ha
ian b

Post by ian b »

The team looks totally disjointed and nervous in my opinion [ maybe down to confidence ] i also think they are totally predictable and flat. Maybe a lot of the problem is down to the amount of injuries and the fact the squad isn't settled. I truly believe that Wigan and every other super league club is over trained and over played and recovery time is just not long enough even with the conditioners and medical staff they have. But i would never question a players commitment in a sport like this, its not football !!!!
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

By way of counter balance, here are my 10 reasons to be cheerful:

- this is the first season that our 2 kids have caught the bug, which means the world to me;

- we won the WCC, in a fabulous display of all round control. It was a privilege to be there;

- we have the best squad and 1 to 18 in SL, and one that can genuinely go on to great things if enough of them are fit;

- Marshall is a wonderful find. A joy to watch - Shaul is still looking for him;

- we have the best, most knowledgable fans in the game;

- our juniors are again leading the way;

- Latics have been relegated;

- we own Good Friday;

- Clubb is on the road to recovery after the sort of illness that could have made playing again an impossibilty. He's a legend;

- our kits are a vast improvement on the dull/glow in the dark versions;

- we are Wigan.
widdenoldboy

Post by widdenoldboy »

Exiled Wiganer wrote:By way of counter balance, here are my 10 reasons to be cheerful:

- this is the first season that our 2 kids have caught the bug, which means the world to me;

- we won the WCC, in a fabulous display of all round control. It was a privilege to be there;

- we have the best squad and 1 to 18 in SL, and one that can genuinely go on to great things if enough of them are fit;

- Marshall is a wonderful find. A joy to watch - Shaul is still looking for him;

- we have the best, most knowledgable fans in the game;

- our juniors are again leading the way;

- Latics have been relegated;

- we own Good Friday;

- Clubb is on the road to recovery after the sort of illness that could have made playing again an impossibilty. He's a legend;

- our kits are a vast improvement on the dull/glow in the dark versions;

- we are Wigan.
This

Injuries are a factor, the kids have done there bit but can't sustain it.

Problem is we have lost cohesion and now rapidly losing confidence, will getting our impact players back save our season?

As always, being a Wigan Fan isn't dull.
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

jao711 wrote:.Two weeks ago it was said nobody had called for Wane out,bit different this week.Frankly this board is getting like Redvee.
Bar the odd one i think this board has been very supportive of the club and of Wane,everyone has limits though.
Fan4Fifty

Post by Fan4Fifty »

There are two big concerns:
1. Our style of play continues to be one-dimensional, lacking in flair, with few runners and little movement (so i'm baffled as to how we do still manage to score a good number of tries though I consider Thursday's result as a 50-24 loss as Leigh were already busy celebrating as we scored the last 2 tries!)
2 Our forwards are simply not getting on top of the opposition pack. So our young back line is trying to play behind a beaten pack. There doesn't seem to be any sense of wanting to get a quick play the ball, creating space and/or winning penalties on the back of that. But that's what opposing packs are doing to us every week. I'm looking for silver linings here, but is this because FPN, TT, JT, Willie Isa and Sutty have been playing week in, week out and over the two multi-game weekends and are simply knackered.
Whatever the reason, we look shot and heads went down as soon as we gave away the Hampshire interception try on Thursday and right now, the verdict must be that Wane doesn't seem able to 'fix it' or lift the players. His quoted post-match comments are rambling but predictable and we've gone from 'we know how to fix it' to 'wait til our injured players are back' and judge us at the end of the season.
Wane's had 4 years in charge now and there's a sense that whether he's a good coach or not something needs freshening up and it's time for a change. As well as our sport, Wigan Warriors is a business and right now the customers aren't happy, the product is pretty poor (and in truth there have been spells in each of the last 3 seasons when I've despaired at the way we've played), management isn't performing and too many of the goods are broken (injured). Not a great model in a sporting or financial sense. So I would genuinely say, thanks Shaun for all the efforts, but it's time for a new direction and I don't think I'd change that if we were to win a CC or another GF (!!) this year.
SJ

Post by SJ »

Excellent post.