Wigan v Warrington - Challenge Cup

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
yokozuna

Wigan v Warrington - Challenge Cup

Post by yokozuna »

Watching us play recently had been frustrating and depressing. We all know that the injuries that have decimated the squad have had a huge part to play in our drop in form, but it seems that confidence is at an all-time low.

Warrington are pretty much in the same boat, which makes the Cup game an intriguing one.

http://www.wigantoday.net/sport/rugby-l ... -1-8589582

Potentially having Sam T, O'Loughlin, Gelling, Bateman, Farrell and Powell back in the side, as well as Gildart being available again means that the side will have a massive boost. There's another thread that mentions that a Hill is up for an illegal challenge and so could miss the Cup game, and that doesn't do our cause any harm at all. He's as important to them as O'Loughlin is to us it seems.

With this news, are we confident of a win or are people fearing the worst? Will it take time for these players to get back into form, or are they that significant and capable that they'll make an impact immediately?

Footballers spend 90 minutes pretending they're injured. Rugby League players spend 80 minutes pretending they're not.
Wandering Warrior

Re: Wigan v Warrington - Challenge Cup

Post by Wandering Warrior »

Hope I'm wrong but I think home advantage will be vital. Both sides are poor at the moment and given everything is cloak and dagger team wise I suspect our season will take a big hit Saturday.
When John Byrom plays on snow, he doesn't leave any footprints - Jimmy Armfield
East Stand Faithful

Post by East Stand Faithful »

Chris Hill and westerman have been charged. I think hill will miss the match. We have a good chance of progressing.
Whatever happened to Billy McGinty's pineapple?
jaws1

Post by jaws1 »

Both teams have all to play for or its SEASON end for one team. The CC is all that is left for both clubs as both wont get in top 4.
Panchitta Marra

Post by Panchitta Marra »

Vital and could be season ending game if no success in this one.
Both teams have troubles and the team that wants it the most, it's that close a call.
We have to be up for this one with no silly plays to give the officials any option to penalise us.
Got to get it right for this one lads.
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

If we win this and do enough to scrape 8th then we will win the cup - unless of course everyone coming back gets injured again. Our full side is the best in the land.
If we lose then it'll be a bizarre end to the year with the best team having nothing to play for by mid June: incompetence or bad luck, take your pick!
OAMJSONA

Post by OAMJSONA »

if we do not win then its season over and wait for next year
Wigan is and always will be a town of Cherry & White

Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

Wake tetchily asked to be judged at the end of the season the other day, if we lose on Saturday can we judge him on Sunday? :)
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

Can't see Wigan losing Saturday Warrington form has been rancid oh wait...

Can't see Wigan winning Saturday the form has been ranc..oh wait..

This is a real meeting of minds this one it'll either be 4-0 or 85-88 such is the form of both clubs.
yokozuna

Post by yokozuna »

Voting so far sums it up - 3 say win, 3 say loss, 3 don't know!

I'm off to France for a fortnight on Saturday, think the place we're going to has UK TV, if not it'll be a stream of some description. We check in at 4pm, so just as the game kicks off!

Hope it's a good start to the holiday. They missus has warned me not to be grumpy if we lose!
Footballers spend 90 minutes pretending they're injured. Rugby League players spend 80 minutes pretending they're not.