Six Return for Warriors

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
fozzieskem

Re: Six Return for Warriors

Post by fozzieskem »

josie andrews wrote:We need to shut down my mate Kevin Brown & Kurt Gidley! IMO
I'd agree with you Josie,I don't think by any means this one is a forgone conclusion because of both teams awful form,Gidley on his day Can still turn it on and the same can be said for Brown though I don't think Wire is a good fit for him imo.
kevbrown1980

Post by kevbrown1980 »

Don't worry Josie, I won't cause any threat to the team, I'll be at home in Norwich watching! You did mean me right?!? :D
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

kevbrown1980 wrote:
Don't worry Josie, I won't cause any threat to the team, I'll be at home in Norwich watching! You did mean me right?!? :D
???????? of course I did ????????

Kevin can be very dangerous with his kicks, & people don't give him the credit he deserves. A bit like a lot of our own players! ????
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

No Headaches For Wane

Shaun Wane on Wigan’s returning players for Warrington cup game

Warriors hopeful of having as many as six players back this weekend
Wigan face Warrington in Ladbrokes Challenge Cup quarter final on Saturday afternoon, 3pm kick-off

Shaun Wane says there will be no headaches should the six returning players all be available for Saturday’s Ladbrokes Challenge Cup tie with Warrington.

The Warriors could be set to welcome Liam Farrell, Sam Powell and Sean O’Loughlin back after short absences with long-term absentees John Bateman, Sam Tomkins and Anthony Gelling all champing at the bit too.

Speaking to the media this week after having all six players training with the team, Wane said:

“Training has gone through the roof, the way we’ve trained has been fantastic. Credit to the young kids who have been in lately but training is a different level with those players back in.

“There’s no headache for me. It’s easy, the players that are coming back in are quality. They’ve got some credits in the bank and they’ll make a difference to us.

“They’ve a lot of experience, we’ve a put a lot of youngsters in over the past few months and it’s taken its toll. We’ve got Jack Wells who is only 19 playing 80 minutes and making nearly 50 tackles so it’s time to give them a rest. I’ve overplayed everybody at the minute so it’s good to get these players back.

“Our S&C guy Mark Bitcon is the best in the world and he’s got them in great shape so they’ll be ok on Saturday.”

John Bateman has played just one game so far this season but could return on Saturday

The Warriors Head Coach says he is under no illusion on the importance of Saturday’s game.

“It’s an important game for both clubs.” He said.

“Warrington have a good history with the Cup, they’ve won it recently as have we, our history with the cup is fantastic so it’s all about winning this game. It’s knockout football, both teams are good at it. It doesn’t matter about league form this week, it will be full on.

“We’re scoring points, last year we weren’t scoring points and were getting questioned about our attack, this year our defence isn’t good enough. I’m confident that things are going to click very soon, we defended well against St Helens a few weeks ago, against Cronulla our defence was bang on. It’s there, we just need to concentrate in training and make sure we put in a performance this weekend.”

Wane also wants the players to give the fans something to shout about.

“The Wigan fans will get behind us like they did at Leigh,” he said.

“I was really sorry that we couldn’t give them a performance to be proud of last week but this is different. It’s knockout Rugby it’s what we’re good at and Warrington are good at it too so its got the makings of a great game.”

Wigan face Warrington in the quarter-finals of the Challenge Cup at the Halliwell Jones Stadium on Saturday, 3pm kick-off.

Tickets are still available from the DW Stadium Ticket Office until 4:30pm on Friday 16 June. For details CLICK HERE.

http://www.wiganwarriors.com/news/2017- ... 7OuYxlf.99
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
5miler

Post by 5miler »

fozzieskem wrote:With young Lewis dropping out I'd assume Sam will play,me personally I wouldn't trust Lockers just yet his hammy could go again,hopefully he will be needed for the semi but given this is,possibly the make or break game of the season it's not one I'd like to have to make regarding the big lad.

Gelling is another one I'd sooner see fully fit than half arsed as has been in the case in the past,he does take a little to get going after injury so for me again not the game to use him in.

Faz and Powell always going to come back in after the shambles on the Leigh performance.

They said all along June for JB and it's June,I hope he's for and raring to go,he looked great the other week when I saw him,so looking forward to seeing him back.
If this weeks game is too early/not the right game to bring Lockers,Sam,Gelling and Bateman back then what game is? We only have 5 more games after this to make sure we get in the 8 and as far up it as we can. Then of course come the super 8s. They need to play and get match fitness as soon as possible. Only by playing will they know if they are fully recovered. Otherwise before we know it we are into next season. If the backroom fitness staff say they are fit then they are fit. People have been banging on for months on here about players taking too long to come back. Now we are told they are ready to go suddenly it's oohhh is it too soon? Don't want them getting hurt again. Let them play and let us see. It'll take a good month for match fitness to be attained which is just before the 8s anyway. Not meant as a rant at anyone by the way.
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

Either he is deluded, or mad if he praises our medical team for being able to field a strong team for the first time in 3 months. If my brief was to give players infinite recovery times, subject only to reviewing myself every couple of years I would sign up for that job! Anyone who takes pride in our ability to get players fit has taken leave of f his senses.
(Unless it was a joke of course, in which case I like his new wry sense of humour.)
captinjack

Post by captinjack »

Wormburner wrote:The Key word being COULD, will believe it when i see it
Totally agree!
yokozuna

Post by yokozuna »

Well, at least 4 of the 6 will be playing!
Footballers spend 90 minutes pretending they're injured. Rugby League players spend 80 minutes pretending they're not.
Wiganer Ted

Post by Wiganer Ted »

Match fitness for the returnees will be the key.
I hope they can hold out and we get the win.