Semi Squad

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
pearsy

Re: Semi Squad

Post by pearsy »

what happend to Farrel?
moto748

Post by moto748 »

pearsy wrote:what happened to Farrell?
Failed late fitness test.

Watching it back on TV, I have to reluctantly agree that I don't have too much of a problem with Thaler denying Burgess the try; I think he did lose it short of the line. Did he get a knock earlier? Either way, the Joe Burgess of a couple of years ago would never have been caught. Neither would Liam Marshall, for that matter.
moto748

Post by moto748 »

Tomkins' yellow, OTOH, was very harsh. Penalty? Maybe, but never a yellow too for me.
yokozuna

Post by yokozuna »

Overall we looked a lot better today.

Was worried about Faz's absence, but thought Isa had a cracking game, especially his head that decked "the beast" then Carney later on :D

Sam was very impressive. All the forwards put in a good stint, with very few penalties or dropped balls. Gildart is a very, very good centre. 20 years old and plays like he's been playing at the top level for a decade.

Negatives? Burgess still way off his best - can only be down to fitness. There's no way he'd have been caught for that try, and on other occasions he dropped the ball and made poor decisions. He did make a great kick through for MM's try and his catch towards the end of the game from the high kick was well-taken and helped see the game out.

As has been said, we looked a lesser side when McIlorum went off. He is looking like he's getting back to his best.

It was obvious that we were the far better side, and if the ref wasn't completely one-sided throughout, I think we'd have won a lot more comfortably.
Footballers spend 90 minutes pretending they're injured. Rugby League players spend 80 minutes pretending they're not.
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

Just watched the Burgess try..he lost the ball Childs called all 3 referral right over tge non tries.

As for Budgie he doesnt look the same player that left for Aus
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Didn't we win a Grand Final & a World Club Challenge with Sam Powell playing 80 minutes??
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
moto748

Post by moto748 »

josie andrews wrote:Didn't we win a Grand Final & a World Club Challenge with Sam Powell playing 80 minutes??
That doesn't mean we wouldn't be better off with MM, though.
widdenoldboy

Post by widdenoldboy »

Big rap for Tom Davis today, good all round game and unlucky to have a try disallowed
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

widdenoldboy wrote:Big rap for Tom Davis today, good all round game and unlucky to have a try disallowed
Well said. Davies was the right choice today.
Wigan ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Saints ⭐⭐⭐
Southern Softy

Post by Southern Softy »

moto748 wrote:
pearsy wrote:what happened to Farrell?
Failed late fitness test.

Watching it back on TV, I have to reluctantly agree that I don't have too much of a problem with Thaler denying Burgess the try; I think he did lose it short of the line. Did he get a knock earlier? Either way, the Joe Burgess of a couple of years ago would never have been caught. Neither would Liam Marshall, for that matter.
BBC highlights seem to confirm that he was grounded short of the line, was pushed over by the tackler and the ball touched the line when Budgie still had it under control (arm/forearm)before he lost contact with it. I suspect even if he had both hands on it, it would still have been disallowed - there did seem to be a determination to chalk off all tries by us.
Budgie did seem to damage a hand early on and I think that may caused him problems throughout the match.