Gelling

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Southern Softy

Re: Gelling

Post by Southern Softy »

Gelling is what he is and he's not going to change and SW will always play him. My hope is always that he doesn't cost us a big match. He nearly did today but he would do the same in a Final because he doesn't have (or won't learn) the discipline that Wigan players have. Just be hopeful it won't matter.
markill

Post by markill »

If he hadn't ducked his head but it still hit him would it have just been a penalty? I was actually more convinced live that it was intentional and on watching it back I thought it was slightly harsh to give more than just a penalty. Either way, I do think it helped save a try, but against a team that we attacking better it could have still cost us, but Salford had no hooker on and we forced to mix up the pivots because Carney decided to pretend he got a whack on that Isa push.
in the world of mules, there are no rules

LATEST PODCAST EPISODE
https://www.spreaker.com/user/superleaguepod
jobo

Post by jobo »

markill wrote:If he hadn't ducked his head but it still hit him would it have just been a penalty? I was actually more convinced live that it was intentional and on watching it back I thought it was slightly harsh to give more than just a penalty. Either way, I do think it helped save a try, but against a team that we attacking better it could have still cost us, but Salford had no hooker on and we forced to mix up the pivots because Carney decided to pretend he got a whack on that Isa push.
Isa push on Carney was as brainless as Gellings heading of the ball.

Can't remember a game were we as a team seem to have played like a team of thicko's with little regard for the professional aspects of the game.

markill

Post by markill »

jobo wrote: Isa push on Carney was as brainless as Gellings heading of the ball.
I agree it was stupid and should have been penalised, I do though think Carney stayed down to try and make sure they got that penalty and because he did he got forced into concussion test, which helped his side less than a penalty would've done. It was just a push, slightly late.
in the world of mules, there are no rules

LATEST PODCAST EPISODE
https://www.spreaker.com/user/superleaguepod
Fujiman

Post by Fujiman »

I thought Gelling had a good game. Great piece of skill to get davies in at the corner even though it was disallowed. Would like to see how many meters he made. As for the sin binning very harsh as was the sam one.
pearsy

Post by pearsy »

Like it been said things like that could cost us the game.Did he not do the same sort of thing in the WCC a couple of years a go.Maybe Wane thinks he still is a project player?
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

A lot of people (myself included at times) still think of him as a project player but the truth is he is 26 and has been with us for 5 years.

During that 5 years he has shown improvements in areas but he is still an absolute liability. He also shot the line on one of salfords plays which had it not been for a dropped ball would of resulted in us being scored against.

Shaun Wane has shown he doesnt give a shiny one about us having a decent centre, or a goal kicker - two things we are desperately in need of
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
AdamMac

Post by AdamMac »

Most moan about structure in our side.

Yet one of the few that has the 'x' factor about him and can create out of. Irving you want to get rid of? Behave.

He's a centre who makes more meters and tough ones at that than any other in the league and can score/create from nothing.

Not many in this league i would swap him for
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

AdamMac wrote:Most moan about structure in our side.

Yet one of the few that has the 'x' factor about him and can create out of. Irving you want to get rid of? Behave.

He's a centre who makes more meters and tough ones at that than any other in the league and can score/create from nothing.

Not many in this league i would swap him for
Is making meters the primary role of a centre though? his x factor play is great when its working but its far far too inconsistent and his base game is a mixed bag. You dont know what you are going to get with him and while that is endearing from a personality point of view you need reliable players especially at centre.

Much is made of Gelling as a X Factor player but its more because he makes plays that no-one else would make, and 9/10 there is a reason no one else would make them you could replace the term x factor with reckless and still be describing his play.

Centres i would swap for him, Moon/Percival/Watkins are all top class

but there are plenty of dependable players out there too like webster/Whelam/Evans whom also give you dependable centre play. Yeah they may not score that weird try or that hail mary pass but how many rouge centres do you see in the NRL? think of the best centres in the world past or present none of them played like gelling does and that should tell you something
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
No straw damn us

Post by No straw damn us »

Wigan_forever19​85​ wrote:A lot of people (myself included at times) still think of him as a project player but the truth is he is 26 and has been with us for 5 years.

During that 5 years he has shown improvements in areas but he is still an absolute liability. He also shot the line on one of salfords plays which had it not been for a dropped ball would of resulted in us being scored against.

Shaun Wane has shown he doesnt give a shiny one about us having a decent centre, or a goal kicker - two things we are desperately in need of
You really have no idea do you? Last year Wigan tried and came very close to signing Jarrod Croker the Canberra goal kicking centre. As for Gelling yesterday he was good, I'm not really sure he could have got out of the way of the ball that was thrown directly at him. 163 metres yesterday, saving his forwards a lot of work. His pass out of the tackle for Tom Davies first disallowed try was superb. Junior Sau was supposed to be one of Salfords strike players but Gelling outplayed him easily. As for Percival, Moon and Watkins how much do you think they're earning compared to Gelling?