CC Final

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
thegimble

Re: CC Final

Post by thegimble »

shaunedwardsfan​club​ wrote:
fozzieskem wrote:Finally people are seeing what Smith brought to the table,not the best but far better than this seasons miserable offerings,not that the lynchmob will listen they made their minds up years ago.

Williams is in his current state in danger of being a "lost" player,let alone a marquee player,I asked a couple of times was he still on the pitch so abject his performance was.

Don't know what is the matter with Burgess he simply isn't the same player that left,miles of the pace.
Smith brought nothing to the table. What pots is he breaking at Saints? We need a class 7, two good props and a bloody good coach. We could have won today although we didn't deserve to.
Game management something neither Williams or TL can do. Also Smiths on field kicking game was far superior to eithers. We have a class 7 either ST or GW. Problem is TL has never been a class 7.
thegimble

Post by thegimble »

Barney841 wrote:Clubbs try should of been given but i doesn't forgive the sh*t we've been producing.
There's not one player in that team who you can say stood out in that game. Completely outplayed and the best team won in my eyes.
Scary thought we were that bad lost by 4 points scored as many tries. Created more opportunities than Hull. Just shows how fit we are how good our defence can be.

But also highlights how crap our attack is. Worse than last season.
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

butt monkey wrote:Firestarter wind yer bleeding neck in.
Even most of the neutral fans left at final hooter, now got a 3 hour wait get off the feckin car park
There were plenty still there in the lower tier when the players came over at the end.
i was in top tier...... ive never seen a stand empty so quick.......too be honest its probably the quietest ive seen us wiganers in a final for whatever reason
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
Southern Softy

Post by Southern Softy »

It was a hard match to watch because every time Hull attacked they looked like scoring and just about everyone could see that if we attacked in the same manner by switching the ball quickly across the field, Hull were extremely vulnerable.
And one old story came true yet again. When SOL was on the field, we were dangerous - when he wasn't...........
I did feel that some players weren't as fit as they normally are. Farrell, MM, Sam & Burgess all had quiet games. Noticed at kick-off that Sam was flexing his left leg and a back-room staffer was on hand and talking to him.
The differences were that Hull had a game-plan, played to it and we simply didn't, relying on bursts of individual play to get us through. Tommy's first kick was excellent and every other one was terrible (although he tackled brilliantly all afternoon)as opposed to Sneyd who kicked pretty perfectly from deep to give himself time and was protected as he kicked, Our props really didn't have the go-forward that Hull's did - Clubb excepted.
Clubb's try was legit (could have been a penalty try) - the last minute try did have a forward pass and Bentham was as inconsistent as ever. Penalised Liam for not playing the ball correctly and then missed every other occurrence. Penalised Marshall for obstruction on the kick-chase, despite Hull doing that all afternoon and stood so far off the action that he couldn't see what was going on the PTB.
In short a poor referee oversaw a win by a well-coached team over a team with greater talent, who didn't play that well on the day.
The worrying thing was that Wigan fans seemed to accept the defeat as not that surprising which means that the season has dragged down people's expectations. That normally means a change should happen within the club but will it?
ian.birchall

Post by ian.birchall »

Warrior20 wrote:Lack of a kicker let us down again. James Childs needs to retire, shocking desicion.
Not retired, he should be sacked. Even Lee Radford thought it was a good try!
Regarder une fille en bikini, c'est comme avoir un revolver chargé sur sa table:
Il n'y a rien de mal a ça mais il est difficile de penser à autre chose.

Now Europe is just for holidays.
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

thegimble wrote:
fozzieskem wrote:Finally people are seeing what Smith brought to the table,not the best but far better than this seasons miserable offerings,not that the lynchmob will listen they made their minds up years ago.

Williams is in his current state in danger of being a "lost" player,let alone a marquee player,I asked a couple of times was he still on the pitch so abject his performance was.

Don't know what is the matter with Burgess he simply isn't the same player that left,miles of the pace.
Smith brought nothing to the table. What pots is he breaking at Saints? We need a class 7, two good props and a bloody good coach. We could have won today although we didn't deserve to.
Game management something neither Williams or TL can do. Also Smiths on field kicking game was far superior to eithers. We have a class 7 either ST or GW. Problem is TL has never been a class 7.
Smith was a master of game management for me,no he wasn't the best player in the world but he knew how to move the game round the park a fair few games last season he popped over a kick to win the game.

To let him leave without a replacement was arrogant stupidity on behalf of the club it's a position there are so few decent players available you don't let yours go till you've traded up do that then no problem for me for him to go,Tommy is and always was best in the hooking role and not as a 7
shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

Firestarter wrote:
butt monkey wrote:Firestarter wind yer bleeding neck in.
Even most of the neutral fans left at final hooter, now got a 3 hour wait get off the feckin car park
There were plenty still there in the lower tier when the players came over at the end.
i was in top tier...... ive never seen a stand empty so quick.......too be honest its probably the quietest ive seen us wiganers in a final for whatever reason
What worried me most was the apathy of the Wigan fans, that must have been our worst ever following at Wembley. Maybe that could be attributed to the transport problems or simply the entertainment we supply? Worrying times for IFL?
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

fozzieskem wrote:
thegimble wrote:
shaunedwardsfan​club​ wrote: Smith brought nothing to the table. What pots is he breaking at Saints? We need a class 7, two good props and a bloody good coach. We could have won today although we didn't deserve to.
Smith was a master of game management for me,no he wasn't the best player in the world but he knew how to move the game round the park a fair few games last season he popped over a kick to win the game.

To let him leave without a replacement was arrogant stupidity on behalf of the club it's a position there are so few decent players available you don't let yours go till you've traded up do that then no problem for me for him to go,Tommy is and always was best in the hooking role and not as a 7
Obviously I don't agree with your view on Smith but I am with you all the way regarding a replacement. There are not many decent halfbacks knocking about in our comp, we need to go down under and find one.
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
Panchitta Marra

Post by Panchitta Marra »

thegimble wrote:
Warrior20 wrote:Lack of a kicker let us down again. James Childs needs to retire, shocking desicion.
You think we were as good a Hull FC in that game?
I don't think we were as good as hull, but that should have been awarded a try.
Not always the best team wins on the day, the best team got the result Yes, but the try should still have been awarded.
Shocking decision by Child.
Dennis Mc Hugh

Post by Dennis Mc Hugh »

Southern Softy wrote:It was a hard match to watch because every time Hull attacked they looked like scoring and just about everyone could see that if we attacked in the same manner by switching the ball quickly across the field, Hull were extremely vulnerable.
And one old story came true yet again. When SOL was on the field, we were dangerous - when he wasn't...........
I did feel that some players weren't as fit as they normally are. Farrell, MM, Sam & Burgess all had quiet games. Noticed at kick-off that Sam was flexing his left leg and a back-room staffer was on hand and talking to him.
The differences were that Hull had a game-plan, played to it and we simply didn't, relying on bursts of individual play to get us through. Tommy's first kick was excellent and every other one was terrible (although he tackled brilliantly all afternoon)as opposed to Sneyd who kicked pretty perfectly from deep to give himself time and was protected as he kicked, Our props really didn't have the go-forward that Hull's did - Clubb excepted.
Clubb's try was legit (could have been a penalty try) - the last minute try did have a forward pass and Bentham was as inconsistent as ever. Penalised Liam for not playing the ball correctly and then missed every other occurrence. Penalised Marshall for obstruction on the kick-chase, despite Hull doing that all afternoon and stood so far off the action that he couldn't see what was going on the PTB.
In short a poor referee oversaw a win by a well-coached team over a team with greater talent, who didn't play that well on the day.
The worrying thing was that Wigan fans seemed to accept the defeat as not that surprising which means that the season has dragged down people's expectations. That normally means a change should happen within the club but will it?

Best post I've seen on here, instead of the usual moaning drivel. A reasoned comment on one of the best finals for years.