Our Front Row

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Exiled Wiganer

Re: Our Front Row

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

1) he was put on his back side by a 10 stone winger. I saw it. Their heads did indeed clash.
2) Is there a stat for players in pockets or is it like the wonderful missed tackles that are better than actual tackles. That makes no sense. When we have Roby's stats they will show he was more of an attacking threat.
If you can show me a stat for breaks or assists or average metres made - something that can be measured - in 2017 please do. He has for instance ZERO assists. Indeed if you can even point to a single try someone else scored this year that was down to him I would be grateful.
I go back again to last week - 7 missed tackles at Wembley - and that is supposed to be his strong suit,
markill

Post by markill »

McIlorum: 22 successful tackles, 3 missed tackles, 2 carries (1 run from dummy half), 4 metres. 0 tackle busts, 0 clean breaks, 0 offloads, 0 errors, 1 penalty conceded

Roby: 42 successful tackles, 0 missed tackles, 8 carries (5 run from dummy half), 73 metres. 1 tackle busts, 1 clean breaks, 2 offloads, 0 errors, 1 penalty conceded

Just because Roby was on the losing side, doesn't mean he was in anyone's pocket or that he wasn't the best hooker on the pitch. It was his break in the first half that gave them some attaching impetus when before that they had none. You can like MM all you want, but the games where Wigan have beaten Saints with Roby & McIlorum both playing haven't, in general, been because of one hooker dominating the other. Roby is the better player of the two. He's one of the best players Super League has seen.

McIlorum's a really good player who's had a really good career and some great games - there's been times where I wouldn't swap him for anyone. Roby is a great player who's had a great career and loads of great games - if we had him there'd never have been a time I would've swapped him.
in the world of mules, there are no rules

LATEST PODCAST EPISODE
https://www.spreaker.com/user/superleaguepod
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

Thanks for looking into that. The season long stats are even more damning.
Instead of having to play with 2 hookers we have somehow found ourselves playing with none.
TrueBlueWarrior

Post by TrueBlueWarrior »

What do people say about stats.....?

Roby was poor last night, MM was good, simple as that! As is the case often when they play against each other! Hmmmm wonder why?

I see you are full of conversation about MM and Roby markill, gone quiet on officials though eh?
'If you start listening to the fans it won't be long before you're sitting with them.' - Wayne Bennett
butt monkey

Post by butt monkey »

TrueBlueWarrior wrote:What do people say about stats.....?

Roby was poor last night, MM was good, simple as that! As is the case often when they play against each other! Hmmmm wonder why?

I see you are full of conversation about MM and Roby markill, gone quiet on officials though eh?
I agree with you about stats. Whilst they are a good basis for opinion on a players performance, they do not tell the whole story. I thought MM was excellent in his stint. Came back on after the head knock and played longer minutes than "usual". Probably one of his best performances for a while imo
[img]http://www.webdeveloper.com/animations/ ... monkey.gif[/img]

The biggest Room is the Room for improvement.

The best form of defence is attack!!

Out of the black and into the red, remember you don't get anything for two in a bed!!
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

I agree with you about stats. Whilst they are a good basis for opinion on a players performance, they do not tell the whole story. I thought MM was excellent in his stint. Came back on after the head knock and played longer minutes than "usual". Probably one of his best performances for a while imo[/quote]

He certainly keeps plenty of fans happy. I don't mind being in a minority. I think his stats speak for themselves and that it has been so long since we had a running threat at hooker that his impact just gets compared with his own efforts. He is a fans' favourite and people watch to be entertained - no problem with that.
TrueBlueWarrior

cherry.pie wrote:

It's not as simple as that though is it. Roby wasn't particularly good. McIlorum wasn't particularly good either, and of our two hookers Powell was better.
....and that is your opinion, just as mine above is mine!! The point I am trying to make is this, so many people think Roby is outstanding, world class, better than MM but in my opinion he is not! He is a flat track bully that looks very good against inferior opposition! How did his international career go? No where near as good as it should have done if he truly was as good as people say, how has he done in all the finals be it GF or CC since Cunningham has retired? How has he done in the finals against MM during his career, let me tell you, not good enough!!
'If you start listening to the fans it won't be long before you're sitting with them.' - Wayne Bennett
TrueBlueWarrior

butt monkey wrote:

I agree with you about stats. Whilst they are a good basis for opinion on a players performance, they do not tell the whole story. I thought MM was excellent in his stint. Came back on after the head knock and played longer minutes than "usual". Probably one of his best performances for a while imo
I agree BM! When push comes to shove and you truly need to win a game I would have MM over Roby all day long!! As past history proves!!
markill

Post by markill »

Roby wasn't poor. But wasn't great. His side lost. Roby's performance had nothing to do with McIlorum's (or Powell's). But your position on McIlorum is well established...and I thought I had established mine on refs, but maybe not! I don't think they're great/flawless/perfect etc. just like players, or no human being. I just don't think they're biased. Fans are biased, refs aren't.
in the world of mules, there are no rules

LATEST PODCAST EPISODE
https://www.spreaker.com/user/superleaguepod
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

Out of the two one is a former Man of Steel, the other isn't end of story