19-Man Squad: Vs Wakefield

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
bertina

Re: 19-Man Squad: Vs Wakefield

Post by bertina »

keptinthedarkfa​ns​ wrote:
Southern Softy wrote:If I were Shaun Wane, I'd procure 19 sick certificates tomorrow and play the Academy team. What is going on at Castleford would attract the anti-corruption authorities if this were any other sport. Obviously the bad blood between Powell and Wane may be behind this but this is a travesty.
Hang on a minute I would expect us to rest players under the same circumstances. Cas have done nothing wrong. THE PLAIN FACTS ARE WE HAVE BEEN DIRE THIS SEASON AND FINISHED HIGHER THAN WE DESERVE. For gods sake stop blaming other teams for our shortfalls.

Well said. The only travesty would have been if we had made the play offs after the dross we have turned out for most of the season.
Some on here need to take off the cherry and white tinted glasses and take a long hard look at where we are.
We have an over the hill hooker playing scrum half.
A bang average stand off as a MARQUEE player, an ex prop dictating how we play, and we wonder why the brand of rugby we play is crap.
It says it all when we are almost totally dependant on a 34 year old to get us through a game.
If big changes are not made next season could be nothing short of embarrassing.
I fear the worst, and it pains me to say it.
IL and Rads need to take stock big time.
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

It is hard to defend the standard of play this seasons won't and never will take pot shots at the kids who did their best in very trying circumstances but for the most part simply weren't ready for long spells in the first team.

The injury crisis..why did this happen again are the players simply to fragile for the sport or is it the training? surely a full independant investigation should happen and report back to Lenegan.not Wane or Radlinski,it won't of course noises will be made that "lessons have been learned etc".

The signings and retention of players..well this was just odd,Escare was a gamble a pleasant one that paid off till he got crocked,Tommy simply looked out of his depth Navarette wasn't Wigan standard,FPN was disappointing to say the least, then we come to the contracts..my my Williams's agent played the club like a fiddle as I've said many times, he simply isn't ready to be a marquee signing its ridiculous to think otherwise, he may be in time but no way at present, the club panicked in my opinion with the nonsense Warrington story doing the rounds at the time, and the frankly bizarre 2 year deal given to Joel was weird for a player who simply hasn't been the same player since his return.

Style of play..poor,very poor even when the first team strolled back into the side things didn't improve that much,Hull always looked like they would win at Wembley and so it proved sadly, it's dull, dull,dull..I've been told on here that "winning" is all that matters..not to me it isn't I expect to be entertained and if the side looses then so be it but entertain me first and foremost.

The side looked stale last Sunday and has at times throughout the season lessons can be learned with what happened at Warrington that if you keep on slapping yourself on the back things can and more often than not do go wrong.

It will be interesting if things are allowed to continue as they are or will action be taken.
pedro

Post by pedro »

dont care about the 19
butt monkey

Post by butt monkey »

pedro wrote:dont care about the 19
You are not quite correct

Should say "Doesn't matter" about the 19"

In the past, players either missed games through injury or poor form. However, the performance of the team was key to the players picked to play in it. Nowadays, we can pick whoever you want, nothing changes

I can tell you how the game will go now. We might be in a close contest, even winning. At the 20 minute mark the coach will swap his four forwards and Wakey will see the drop off of intensity and weaker defensive formation as the opportunity to run at us. Now, the game might be close or Wakey go in front and with about 20 minutes left the 4 Wigan forwards will return to make a contest of it

Been like this for a few years, Be like this for a while longer. Trouble is each and every fan knows this is what will happen

For me, we should really shake the team up and try and freshen things up... Sam T at scrum half, Tommy on the bench as replacement for MM. Davies at full back. Gelling second row etc etc etc
[img]http://www.webdeveloper.com/animations/ ... monkey.gif[/img]

The biggest Room is the Room for improvement.

The best form of defence is attack!!

Out of the black and into the red, remember you don't get anything for two in a bed!!
ddtftf

Post by ddtftf »

When will it end, I am amazed that the team we are watching is still being supported by Ian Lennagan as if he cannot see what is going on.
It is the worst coached side of excellent players i have ever seen, good coaches must be watching and screaming at the set up of attack and defense we have. PLEASE STOP IT NOW IAN SHOW SOME BALLS AND CHANGE THE COACH NOW NOW NOW MMMMMMMMMMMMMMM PLEASE
ddtftf

Post by ddtftf »

I have said it before for passion Wayne is without doubt 100% but we need an attacking minded coach with experience
thegimble

Post by thegimble »

ddtftf wrote:I have said it before for passion Wayne is without doubt 100% but we need an attacking minded coach with experience
This is what I do not get and it might be the answer to the problem for IL and Wane.

When Wane took over in 2012 we played the best attacking rugby I have seen by us we humiliated a lot of good sides.

Now here are my 2 issues

1. Attack coach did they have that much of a say in how we played or did Wane do that. Because since Harris left we have declined we never hit those heights with Deacon. And last 2 seasons we have been awful at times.

2. Recruitment compare the side in 2012 and now and we have a better squad now than then in terms of 1-30 but our 1-17 I awful. Have we put too much emphasis on keeping certain youths who do not make it. Logan Tomkins is a prime example. Does IL and Rads need to recruit as we did before the fixation of the youths.

Do not get me wrong some of them are potentially good players but we need quality not quantity.

But looking at today I do feel Wane has lost the players.
ddtftf

Post by ddtftf »

solution Sam to partner George Williams at half back, Tommy to hooker,a class center to replace Gelling who is a liability and will never change and 2 x 30 minute no nonsense tough props

Sell FPL and let our London prop go to play with London Broncos

Ps give Joel Tompkins to anyone who will have him free and save on the salary cap

pps NEW COACH
Fan4Fifty

Post by Fan4Fifty »

I don't know if he's lost the players but he's certainly lost me - I have no idea what we are trying to achieve!! I think even though the effort is mainly there from the players, I get the impression they know that the way they are asked to play just isn't working, enjoyable or effective. We've confirmed the truth of the old statement "If you always do what you always did, you'll always get what you always got".
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

Thought atvseasons start the prop department was all wrong,the halves utterly ineffective for long periods of the season,gelling well he needs moving on as does MM and several of the younger lads.

Don’t get me started on Joel Tomkins