New Assistant Coach?

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
thegimble

Re: New Assistant Coach?

Post by thegimble »

Wes wrote:Deacon or Harris anyone?
Harris for me any day of the week.

I would be happy with Wane to continue if he brings in an assistant of real calibre and not someone he promotes out of loyalty who would keep us where we are now.

Wane without a quality assistant is a recipe for failure next season and I think that would lead to his sacking before April or May if it was kept as is now.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

That article isn't promising an assistant coach. It's just as much hot air as him saying he's bringing in new players five minutes after our season ended.

If Wane remains nothing substantial will change. He'd have to hand over far too much responsibility to his assistant to make himself irrelevant.

We moan about the attack but for me it is the entire coaching package that needs to be given the boot. The emphasis on wresting, the "floggings" in training, the lack of emphasis on skills. As I said before it really is right out of the Alex Murphy coaching manual and is all so out of date.

Bringing in a goal kicking coach for pre-season just shows how utterly useless he is. You can't give a kicker a few lessons and say "job done". The goal kicker needs to be practicing all the time on their own in addition to other training and Wane needs to make this happen. Goal kicking competitions, goal kicking coaches are not one shot panaceas to the problem.

So since the end of the season we have had him say, bring in new players, bring in an assitant and get in a goal kicking coach.

If he thinks all these things are required why has he not done it before? It's not as if the issues the team has are new. To me he sounds rather desperate and is coming out with anything to keep his job. He should have acted sooner.

jasonnlouise

Post by jasonnlouise »

Does anybody think giving Oloughlin an attacking coaches role now he's signed another contract a good idea,it in a way saves face Wane bringing someone in from outside the club I'm assuming he has massive respect from players and hierarchy alike.Does anyone know if he already contributes the coaching side or is he still very much concentrating on playing? As for a goal kicking coach we need to find a player who really wants it since Richards it's seemed to be a poisoned chalice other than Escare before his injury putting his hand up to kick nobody seems to want it.Also when Escare returns will he be advised not to kick could it put unnecessary stress on his knee and hamper his recovery.To me any young player on the verge of 1st team may find a way in if they take up goal kicking.
OAMJSONA

Post by OAMJSONA »

Longstanding wrote:For christ's sake Lennigan do something.

he is, he likes Noooa sala so he is re signing ( what a friggin joke )
Wigan is and always will be a town of Cherry & White

Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

OAMJSON wrote:

:blush:

Seriously? I thought FPN was going home!
shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

Kittwazzer wrote:
OAMJSON wrote:

:blush:

Seriously? I thought FPN was going home!
So did I!!!
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
Wiganer Ted

Post by Wiganer Ted »

Where is it confirmed FPN has re-signed?
markill

Post by markill »

FPN signed a 3.5 year deal when he joined us last year. So he has 2 years left. I can't imagine he's getting a new deal at this time, unless we're trying to give him less money somehow.
in the world of mules, there are no rules

LATEST PODCAST EPISODE
https://www.spreaker.com/user/superleaguepod
sheepsteeth

Post by sheepsteeth »

could Ian Watson be a shout as a new assistant?
Salford are in big trouble now the Dr has decided to pull the plug.

Could we offer Watson the job with the carrot of him taking over when Wane is gone?
ddtftf

Post by ddtftf »

Also heard FPN was moving on mmmm