New Assistant Coach?

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
SJ

Re: New Assistant Coach?

Post by SJ »

A new assistant coach Not the answer unless ,as Kitt says, It's SW assisting an (Aussie)coach.

Sorry Kitt (Aussie) was my emendation
Wiganer Ted

Post by Wiganer Ted »

It depends on who he is and his standing in the world of RL

This is why I've always said Geoff Toovey. He carries his own reputation and records both as player and coach. Nor would he be overwhelmed by being at Wigan or assistant to Shaun Wane.

Two coaches with massively powerful personalities and range of skills to complement each other for the benefit of Wigan RL.

If it were to be Toovey I'd be very pleased.
If it were not him but a character of similar background I'd also be very pleased.

Wes

Post by Wes »

Wigan_forever19​85​ wrote:
ddtftf wrote:Tommy attacking coach, and Sam to stand off or scrum half & Escaley to fullback
I really hope not, what makes wigan think Tommy would make a good attacking coach barring the fact he has played for Wigan which seems to be the only real requirement for a pass onto the staff nowdays
If it happened it would be a legitimate way to free up cap space for a player who has underwhelmed.
southportcdm

Post by southportcdm »

Wiganer Ted, I like your thinking. I'm not sure that Waney would defer to Tommy or any other player that he's coached. I get the impression that Waney is a very strong character and, like many of us, is convinced that he knows best. Also I think that it's better for players to have a few years away from the team that they played for before coaching them. Otherwise you have the problems of them coaching players that are mates or those that didn't like or rate them as players themselves. I'm one of those who feels that the best coaches maintain a certain distance from their players. Players from different sports always talk about the respect that they had for the great coaches rather than how friendly they were.