New signing

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
jasonnlouise

Re: New signing

Post by jasonnlouise »

Seinfeld79 wrote:Funny how there are many posts that are critical of the place-kicking at the club; they then do something that on the face of it appears to be addressing the issue and even this is wrong. I don't recall too many posters suggesting that signing a kicking coach was a bad idea yet as soon as one is appointed it is seen by some as a negative or not worth it.
Spot on,the club is damned if they do and damned if they dont think it's a positive move
Nezza Faz

Post by Nezza Faz »

Daryl Halligan only worked for a short spell coaching Shaun Johnson, yet he's turned into a top kicker.

Get the basic skills right, then practice that's what makes it work - but it's got to be perfect practice ! So Hodgson can point Escare in the right direction, for him to progress from.

And there'll still be other coaches around who will listen to Hodgson and then advise the player at practice "you're not doing this, or not doing that".
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

TrueBlueWarrior wrote:
Wes wrote:
Seinfeld79 wrote:Funny how there are many posts that are critical of the place-kicking at the club; they then do something that on the face of it appears to be addressing the issue and even this is wrong. I don't recall too many posters suggesting that signing a kicking coach was a bad idea yet as soon as one is appointed it is seen by some as a negative or not worth it.
+1
+1 more!
+ another ????
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

The small percentages separate a top team from a good team, I think Wigan need a pat on the back.
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
Wes

Post by Wes »

shaunedwardsfan​club​ wrote:The small percentages separate a top team from a good team, I think Wigan need a pat on the back.
+1
the pieman

Post by the pieman »

Wes wrote:
+1
+5 or 6 or 7 which ever one i am

not re-read the whole thread but some of the golf analagies are spot on

if you are any good (dont necessarily have to be good) a coach can / will improve you massively, but practice and good practice is what is needed - see the references to Frano. i have played golf to a reasonable standard so do have experience of being average and improving massively through hard work and practice

if you cant kick in the 1st place - yes you will improve but unlikely to be sufficient enough to make you good enough - especially for a professional sportsman
jobo

Post by jobo »

shaunedwardsfan​club​ wrote:
jobo wrote:
shaunedwardsfan​club​ wrote: Unless you are a natural :o
Even naturals have to develop their skill.
At academy level, Andy Farrell wasn't the team kicker, yet for the first team, he looked a natural.
It was a tongue in cheek comment. After saying that the best kicker I ever saw played in the same team as me at amateur level and he got zilch coaching.
Is he still playing?
First Try Tickle

Post by First Try Tickle »

Fawdoffshed wrote:Even when Steve Davis was world snooker champion, he had a coach, the late, great Frank Callan, to help him get even better.
I've been reading Ronnie O'Sullivan's book recently and he says he spends about 8 hours a day practicing. Like George says, when he spends time practicing he gets much better, think how this could improve with a coach on board.

billyc38

Post by billyc38 »

Johnny Wilkinson practised on his own and still had a kicking coach named Dave Alred who worked with the England R.U team and some rugby league teams
shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

billyc38 wrote:Johnny Wilkinson practised on his own and still had a kicking coach named Dave Alred who worked with the England R.U team and some rugby league teams
Including Wigan.
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards