McIlorum and Gelling released

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Wes

Re: McIlorum and Gelling released

Post by Wes »

The asking for pay rises mid contract annoys me in sport, all sport not just RL.

They where happy with what they where being paid for the full duration of the contract when they signed otherwise they wouldn’t have signed.
Panchitta Marra

Post by Panchitta Marra »

Wes wrote:The asking for pay rises mid contract annoys me in sport, all sport not just RL.

They where happy with what they where being paid for the full duration of the contract when they signed otherwise they wouldn’t have signed.
MM asked the club for a pay rise based on interest shown in him from Canberra Raiders.
It wasn't a NRL salary rise, just an increase, but he was refused.
Sam Powell was being shown interest from Widnes Vikings so the club have doubled his wages to keep him.
I don't know how far this was through each respective players contract, but both are similar in my mind.
I did mention that I thought that our best hooker pairing would be MM and TL who I think would compliment each other, but I was told that that the club were keeping Powell and hence MM leaving.
TrueBlueWarrior

Post by TrueBlueWarrior »

It’s clear as day the club have chose SP over MM for whatever reason, SP is here and MM isn’t, irrelevant of anything else. In my opinion I would have kept MM all day long, the club didn’t!! Hmmmmmm!!
'If you start listening to the fans it won't be long before you're sitting with them.' - Wayne Bennett
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

Its our loss and catalans gain
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
Panchitta Marra

TrueBlueWarrior wrote:It’s clear as day the club have chose SP over MM for whatever reason, SP is here and MM isn’t, irrelevant of anything else. In my opinion I would have kept MM all day long, the club didn’t!! Hmmmmmm!!
The club want players who won't argue or get disgruntled and MM does not fit that regime where Powell does.
keptinthedarkfans

Post by keptinthedarkfans »

Wes wrote:The asking for pay rises mid contract annoys me in sport, all sport not just RL.

Spot on. I can understand contracts being brought into line if the club feels a player as proved his worth but to give them more when they hold them to ransom for a rise or leave is making a mockery of contract system. The law is simple if you have a written contract you are bound to honour it by BOTH parties. Gelling/ MM and Powell are a perfect example of contracts not worth the paper there wrote on.
Wandering Warrior

Post by Wandering Warrior »

Panchitta Marra wrote:
TrueBlueWarrior wrote:It’s clear as day the club have chose SP over MM for whatever reason, SP is here and MM isn’t, irrelevant of anything else. In my opinion I would have kept MM all day long, the club didn’t!! Hmmmmmm!!
The club want players who won't argue or get disgruntled and MM does not fit that regime where Powell does.
You mean those that will do as they're told and execute the boring gameplan?
When John Byrom plays on snow, he doesn't leave any footprints - Jimmy Armfield
Panchitta Marra

Wandering Warrior wrote:
Panchitta Marra wrote:
You mean those that will do as they're told and execute the boring gameplan?
I'd say your not too far off the mark WW, but it's not necessarily just based on executing the game plan.
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

Agreed.
pedro

Post by pedro »

Just watched wigan tv and with the interview with wane it sounds like TL and Ganson to 9 and Powell to 6/7 bad move for me better with TL at 6/7 and MM/SP at 9