First Choice 17

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
widdenoldboy

Re: First Choice 17

Post by widdenoldboy »

wall_of_voodoo wrote:
shaunedwardsfan​club​ wrote: The question is 'what is your first choice 17 not what team you think Waney will pick.
Often we are reminded by one or two posters on here, that we are nothing but utter ignoramuses with about as much rugby league knowledge as a Madagascan tree frog's nut sack! We should respect those who know far much than us bunch of cretins who pick/choose/buy/sell our players without one ounce of coaching ability - so why even try?
:lol:

Some wildcard choices:

1. Escare
2. Sarginson
3. Gildart
4. Bateman
5. Burgess
6. Sam
7. Williams
8. FPN
9. TL
10. Flower
11. Joel
12. Faz
13. Lockers

14. Ganson
15. TT
16. Sutton
17. Clubb

Powell, Hamlin, Davies, Marshall, Manfredi, Shorrocks
shawxshark

Post by shawxshark »

With signing sarge it’s obvious him that’s gonna play centre not waste Bateman or god forbid Joel

1 escare
2 Manfredi if fit if not Davis
3 sarge
4 gilly
5 burgess
6 Sam
7 George
8 frank the wanc
9 tommy
10 flower
11 faz
12 Bateman
13 lockers

Subs not really bothered
No straw damn us

Post by No straw damn us »

Panchitta Marra wrote:
southportcdm wrote:If those squad numbers are correct I think most of us would be happy. Let's hope it all works out.
The best two hookers we could have had were mcilorum and lieuluai, but our leaders decided to double Sam Powell's wages to stop him leaving for Widnes, yet they make no attempt to try and keep McIlorum.
At team full of yes boys is what our leaders see as the ideal scenario, not prepared to keep key players if they have a rough edge.
Powell is a mummy's boy that the club just won't sacrifice.
That's my rant but it's all fact as I see it.
Where is the fact that Powells wages have been doubled?
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Panchitta Marra wrote:
southportcdm wrote:If those squad numbers are correct I think most of us would be happy. Let's hope it all works out.
The best two hookers we could have had were mcilorum and lieuluai, but our leaders decided to double Sam Powell's wages to stop him leaving for Widnes, yet they make no attempt to try and keep McIlorum.
At team full of yes boys is what our leaders see as the ideal scenario, not prepared to keep key players if they have a rough edge.
How can Powell be a “mummy’s boy” when he has his own home & family?

What has everybody got against the lad? He played where he is told to in 2016 even though it was an alien position for him, he played 80 minutes, was one of the highest tacklers, try’s his best but still is pilloried on here! He’s a squad player yes, but at least he gives his all.

The same as Tierney! He played the majority of last season injured, played in several positions & still its not enough for our fans ???? Goes out on loan & is offered a contract at another club. Good luck to the lad.

The club need to sort its wage structure out with increments instead of paying peanuts to its younger players. Keep doin that & we will have a team of monkeys playing in Cherry’n’White soon!

We have as many backroom staff as players!! And all this counts on the salary cap!

Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Wes

Post by Wes »

Player T-TA-TK-MT-MI-TB-AT-C-M-AG-CB-DR-DG-E-FT-G-MG-OF-P-RC-YC
Sam Powell
Warriors: 2-7-771-141-37-13-18-94-481-5.12-2-56-0-6-0-6-2-4-9-0-0
Michael McIlorum
Warriors: 1-0-423-68- 38- 6- 2-69-401-5.81-1-59-0-7-0-0-0-2-6-0-0

Stats Key
T: Tries
TA: Try assists
TK: Tackles
MT: Marker tackles
MI: Missed tackles
TB: Tackle busts
AT: Attacking kicks
C: Carries
M: Metres
AG: Av gain
CB: Clean break
DR: Run from dummy half
DG: Drop goals
E: Errors
FT: Fourty Twenties
G: Goals
MG: Missed goals
OF: Offload
P: Penalties
RC: Red card
YC: Yellow card
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

The stats are pretty useless as they don't include number of appearances, game time given we interchange hookers nor do they include who they were made against and at what stage of a match.

However you don't need stats if you actually watch the game and have the slightest clue as to what makes a decent hooker to know Powell isn't one.

There is already a far better post that sums up his failings on this forum so I am not going to repeat them here. I am sure you will have read it.

If as someone else said he was offered more money to stay then IL, Rads and Wane are incompetent. They should have let Widnes have him for free.

There have been numerous posts defending IL particularly from you Wes but after years running the club we have come to a point where the cap is being mismanaged worse than it was under Mo Lindsay and DW. It must be because top class players are few and far between in a squad now made up of senior players who mostly ought to retire, mediocre players like Powell and Sarge and with us being told un proven juniors like Ganson are OK backups for first team players.

Yet again we are a couple of injuries off a crisis and are told the reason we are offloading MM is because we can't afford him because of FPN's wages. If FPN is taking up so much cap space then who's fault is that!
Wes

Post by Wes »

DaveO wrote:The stats are pretty useless as they don't include number of appearances, game time given we interchange hookers nor do they include who they were made against and at what stage of a match.

However you don't need stats if you actually watch the game and have the slightest clue as to what makes a decent hooker to know Powell isn't one.

There is already a far better post that sums up his failings on this forum so I am not going to repeat them here. I am sure you will have read it.

If as someone else said he was offered more money to stay then IL, Rads and Wane are incompetent. They should have let Widnes have him for free.

There have been numerous posts defending IL particularly from you Wes but after years running the club we have come to a point where the cap is being mismanaged worse than it was under Mo Lindsay and DW. It must be because top class players are few and far between in a squad now made up of senior players who mostly ought to retire, mediocre players like Powell and Sarge and with us being told un proven juniors like Ganson are OK backups for first team players.

Yet again we are a couple of injuries off a crisis and are told the reason we are offloading MM is because we can't afford him because of FPN's wages. If FPN is taking up so much cap space then who's fault is that!
If stats are pointless clubs wouldn’t use them but oh wait they do.

Tries scored - pointless (oxymoron)
Try assists
Clean breaks
Offloads
Errors
Penalties
Missed tackles are all crucial to winning or losing a game.

People moan the club tell us nothing sooo in your last paragraph and are told the reason we are offloading MM ...... who’s told us that? Have the club come out and said that? Or is it speculation from here?
old hooker

Post by old hooker »

Panchitta Marra wrote:
I was agreeing with your post until you accused Powell of being a mummys boy, that is silly and insulting, totally unnecessary.
Panchitta Marra

Post by Panchitta Marra »

No straw damn us wrote:
Panchitta Marra wrote:
Where is the fact that Powells wages have been doubled?
I can't say my source Straw all I can say is that it is true and it will come out.
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

People read farvto much into stats,clubs need them of course as mechanics needs guidance on the latest engine,we can look at it and try to make sense of it of course but those who run clubs get the most out of them,taken in isolation of course stats make a player look world class,in the context of that game usually tells a different story,for me stats have their place but I look at what I see rather anything else.

Powell is a workman like player,not the best,not the worst if he had his wages doubled good luck to him myself I’d have let him go,he looked stale last season as did a few others did to be fair,I’d have thought somewhere new would have done him good.