First Choice 17

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
shaunedwardsfanclub

First Choice 17

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

Given the loss of Gells and Mickey, what would be your first choice 17 next season?
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
Wes

Re: First Choice 17

Post by Wes »

1 Escare
2 Davies 3 Sarge 4 Gildart 5 Burgess
6 Sam 7Williams
8 FPN 9 TL 10 Flower
11 Farrell 12 Bateman
13 SoL

Powell Clubb Sutton Tautai

Hamlin Isa Tomkins Shorrocks as back ups.

wall_of_voodoo

Post by wall_of_voodoo »

What we are more likely to see is

1.Sam
2.Davies 3.Sarginson 4.Gildart 5.Burgess
6.Williams 7.Leuluia
8.FPN 9.Powell 10.Flower
11.Farrell 12.Bateman 13.Lockers

Subs: Clubb, TT, Sutton and Isa (we know the coach loves his forwards on the bench)

Hamlin, Joel, Escare, Marshall and the rest based on injuries picked up either off field or on field
I'm a better fan than you
Because I don't "Boo"!!!

Yes I bloody know transfer fees do not count on the salary cap for those illiterates that need it explaining to them because they assume everyone is as thick as they are :roll:
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

wall_of_voodoo wrote:What we are more likely to see is

1.Sam
2.Davies 3.Sarginson 4.Gildart 5.Burgess
6.Williams 7.Leuluia
8.FPN 9.Powell 10.Flower
11.Farrell 12.Bateman 13.Lockers

Subs: Clubb, TT, Sutton and Isa (we know the coach loves his forwards on the bench)

Hamlin, Joel, Escare, Marshall and the rest based on injuries picked up either off field or on field
Unfortunatly i agree :(
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
Brad5926

Post by Brad5926 »

For me based on last season .....

If Escare is fit ...he starts!

Leuleui isnt what he used to be in HB or HK.
So Sam must obviously go to HB and Powell has more than earned his starting position at HK as well as the 9 jersey after doing the graft and being one of the players of the season when given a solid run of games when Mickey was injured.
First Try Tickle

Post by First Try Tickle »

Sam has already said he wants to play at full back, so I can't see Wane going against his marquee player.

He is also a big fan of Powell so would jump at the chance to give him the number 9 shirt.

I also think moving Tommy, means admitting he made a mistake bringing him back as a half.

So I agree with WOV. I think Escare will miss out on the 17.

Until the injuries start, and after a pre season of beastings, weights and the pit, they won't be long coming.

The team looks very thin now, with only Isa and Joel as back up for SOL, who showed at the world cup that he can't play 4 in a row.
warriors01

Post by warriors01 »

We are in trouble even with our first 17 because when Sean misses 50% of the matches. Back row and centres too light weight. No goal-kicker, not even sure about what are staring half backs or hooker is. We could have done with some decent friendlies to get the combinations right. Wont be surprised if we are not in a relegation dogfight. maybe then IL will realise what a mess SW and KR are making of it. Especially as all we needed to have done pre season was bring in a quality centre, prop and second row. Off loaded TL, JT, SP, RN, AG and WI. Blooded the academy lads, Ganson, Woods, Wells and Partington. Things would have looked a lot healthier.
No straw damn us

Post by No straw damn us »

I think Wane will experiment with Sam and Escare in the #6 position. Escare also started his career there and for me has the better long kicking game. Sam at fullback is more dangerous when he can pick when and where to join the line something that is more difficult if he's playing #6 as he wouldn't get the same freedom. They can probably swap positions inside the game, it'll be interesting to see which way he goes, although Lenagan did say at the shareholders meeting that he expected #1 Escare and #6 Sam
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

No straw damn us wrote:I think Wane will experiment with Sam and Escare in the #6 position. Escare also started his career there and for me has the better long kicking game. Sam at fullback is more dangerous when he can pick when and where to join the line something that is more difficult if he's playing #6 as he wouldn't get the same freedom. They can probably swap positions inside the game, it'll be interesting to see which way he goes, although Lenagan did say at the shareholders meeting that he expected #1 Escare and #6 Sam
I disagree

2010 Sam yes was devastating at 1, 2016 > Sam has lost his pace and to a large extent (understandably) his bottle of putting himself in situations he may get hurt.

If you look at last year Escare was by far the more effective fullback and has pace to burn.

With the way the players are now Sam would be better @ 6 IMO
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

Wes wrote:1 Escare
2 Davies 3 Sarge 4 Gildart 5 Burgess
6 Sam 7Williams
8 FPN 9 TL 10 Flower
11 Farrell 12 Bateman
13 SoL

Powell Clubb Sutton Tautai

Hamlin Isa Tomkins Shorrocks as back ups.
I am with you Wes apart from Powell as sub as I would only go with one hooker in the 17 therefore, I am going for Joel on the bench.
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards