Waney is on the prowl!

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
doc

Re: Waney is on the prowl!

Post by doc »

Why not just allow ball stealing again, however many tacklers are involved. No penalty advantage to either side. Ref only has to decide if a knock on occurred by either side and award advantage/scrum/turnover/wipe tackle count clean if it did. Neither side would gain as big an advantage in field position as they would if awarded a penalty.
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

doc wrote:Why not just allow ball stealing again, however many tacklers are involved. No penalty advantage to either side. Ref only has to decide if a knock on occurred by either side and award advantage/scrum/turnover/wipe tackle count clean if it did. Neither side would gain as big an advantage in field position as they would if awarded a penalty.
that would be too simple doc.....its a no brainer for me
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
jao 711

Post by jao 711 »

medlocke wrote:
moto748 wrote:
Firestarter wrote:im all for the 40/20 rule moto......
Pleased to hear it, but some aren't, it seems.
Firestarter wrote:... the voluntary tackle is the worst rule at the moment
It's annoying, but I don't see it as much more than a minor irritation.
The 40/20 is the same as giving the fat kid that came last in the cross country at school a mars bar, we shouldn't be rewarding mediocrity :conf:
. If it’ s so easy why doesn’t it happen more often?
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

jao 711 wrote:
medlocke wrote:
moto748 wrote: Pleased to hear it, but some aren't, it seems.
It's annoying, but I don't see it as much more than a minor irritation.
The 40/20 is the same as giving the fat kid that came last in the cross country at school a mars bar, we shouldn't be rewarding mediocrity :conf:
. If it’ s so easy why doesn’t it happen more often?
Where has anybody said it's easy
shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

moto748 wrote:There's a place for the ball-steal, but I think most fans agree that the balance is currently wrong; there should be more responsibility on the ball-carrier to hang onto it.
Here here.
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

doc wrote:Why not just allow ball stealing again, however many tacklers are involved. No penalty advantage to either side. Ref only has to decide if a knock on occurred by either side and award advantage/scrum/turnover/wipe tackle count clean if it did. Neither side would gain as big an advantage in field position as they would if awarded a penalty.
It prevents offloads too much. The attacker has to concentrate on holding the ball against multi-man strips. The wrestling targeting the ball would be crazy these days.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Big Steve

Post by Big Steve »

I think this may have been mentioned elsewhere, but the penalty for a ball steal is far too high.

Far too often a player almost throws the ball away and gets a penalty, and if a 2nd players hand is touching the attacker it,s deemed a two man strip.

Either way the ref often guesses which is no way to award a pen, and leads to far too many easy yards for either attack or defence.

The penalty should be an extra tackle - so the 'crime' is more fitting to the penalty.

There are far too many easy pens given in SL and it means the attack does less work and relies on these easy yards.
JUKESAYS

Post by JUKESAYS »

Big Steve wrote:I think this may have been mentioned elsewhere, but the penalty for a ball steal is far too high.

Far too often a player almost throws the ball away and gets a penalty, and if a 2nd players hand is touching the attacker it,s deemed a two man strip.

Either way the ref often guesses which is no way to award a pen, and leads to far too many easy yards for either attack or defence.

The penalty should be an extra tackle - so the 'crime' is more fitting to the penalty.

There are far too many easy pens given in SL and it means the attack does less work and relies on these easy yards.
I don't mind the penalty and a new set of 6, it's the kick that annoys me.
You can defend 5 tackles in an opponent's 30 and then one loose carry given a penalty and you can be defending your own 20/30 on the first tackle!

At least if they only get a set starting from 25 from their own line you have a chance to stop an attacking kick next set by defending well again.

With the kick your inevitably 10/15 from your own line for the kick.