SARGINSON LOOKING FORWARD AT WIGAN

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

SARGINSON LOOKING FORWARD AT WIGAN

Post by josie andrews »

DAN SARGINSON ADMITS HIS DISAPPOINTING SPELL IN THE NRL HAS LEFT HIM FRUSTRATED AS HE PREPARES TO BEGIN HIS SECOND STINT WITH WIGAN WARRIORS IN BETFRED SUPER LEAGUE.

The 24-year-old joined Gold Coast following Wigan’s title-winning season in 2016 but knee and shoulder injuries limited him to only six appearances last year.

Sarginson was all set to remain with the Titans for 2018 until he met up with Wigan chairman Ian Lenagan during the World Cup and secured a return to the DW Stadium.

“I still had a year left on my contract at Gold Coast so I did really want to stay out there and prove myself because there’s quite a perception that outside backs don’t really make it out there,” said Sarginson.

“I wanted to prove them wrong in that regard but I thought the move back to Wigan was right for me.

“I can say I’ve been out there now but I’ll always look back on it with a bit of disappointment. That’s inevitable with the injuries I had.

“I wouldn’t say it was through a lack of effort but it was just a real unfortunate circumstance.”

Sarginson will head back to Australia with Wigan next month for games against Hull FC and South Sydney Rabbitohs, and he views the trip as a perfect opportunity to show the locals what he is capable of.

“I know there will be a lot of people watching who probably watched last year and didn’t think much of me,” he added.

“It’d be good for me to prove a few people wrong. That’ll be a real good motivation for me out there.”

After an injury-plagued season, Sarginson is excited by the prospect of rediscovering his best rugby and helping Wigan make amends for a disappointing sixth-place finish in 2017.

“We had some success – we made two Grand Finals, massive games – and I really hit some form when I played here,” he said.

“It definitely made me a better player, coming from London Broncos to Wigan.

“Coming back to Shaun Wane and all the coaching staff here who I love and are like family to me, it was an easy decision in the end.”

The centre won three caps for England during his first spell with the Warriors and he is determined to reclaim his place in time for the three-Test series against New Zealand at the end of the year after being a spectator at the World Cup.

“It killed me a bit,” he admitted. “I went to watch the final in Brisbane and was so happy for them but you’re envious as well.

“You want them to do well but it’s always tough to watch when you want to be involved. It gives me more drive to get back in the squad.”

http://www.rugby-league.com/superleague ... d-at-wigan
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan