Re: Wollongong Game.

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
TrueBlueWarrior

Post by TrueBlueWarrior »

Exiled Wiganer wrote:Sarg will be better given a few games under his belt. We know he can catch and stand up when he runs, as he has shown us plenty of times. That said, I really like Higginson, and would be pleased to see him given his chance. Gildart is a superb player, a classic centre, so Wane clearly knows how to coach centre play. He was unfairly criticised this morning - he judged that his wing would get mullered if he moved the ball, and may well have been right.

If FPN being dropped is a sign that he isn't coming home, then we could well see 2 NRLers on the plane back, with his and McIllorum's hefty salaries off the wage bill.

I have wondered for a while whether they might have treats in store for us before March. With our first game so late, they have longer to reflect on how best to spend IL's hard earned.

Finally, superb combinations, and that after only 2 games. The only slight quibble is that I would like to Sam take on the line again.
Are we blaming our medical team for the Hull injuries during the game Exiled? :wink:
'If you start listening to the fans it won't be long before you're sitting with them.' - Wayne Bennett
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

I have no idea how good Hull’s medical team now are, but I recall that a while back they suffered repeated injury ravaged seasons and changed their entire back room staff as a result.
Fan4Fifty

Post by Fan4Fifty »

I think the criticisms of Gildart and JT are over the top. Gildart did what he's supposed to do for the 2 tries that set up the win - give his winger the ball in space for one and backed up on the inside to engage defenders for the other. Yes, he should probably have given Marshall the ball on at least one other occasion but centres won't always get those right. He will only get better.
As for JT he put in a full shift to help handle a big Hull pack, made some strong tackles, created space for Sarginson that a better centre would have exploited and made a great effort fairly late in the game to get back to help Sam after Kelly's clean break. Yes a pass to Farrell in attack was put down but where were his runners when he was clearly looking for an offload? Thought it was a solid performance all round from JT and the rest of the forwards. Flower and Clubb were both excellent.

ian b

Post by ian b »

i cant see what Joel did wrong today his strong run set the platform for flowers try in my opinion but according to some flower is shite aswell !!!!
Barney841

Post by Barney841 »

I’m still not convinced with rotation of halves and full back. Sam looks a better organiser and kicker Powell, he doesn’t take the line on enough anymore as he has lost a step of pace. Escare would be better as full back and joining the line.
Leuluai should be doing 80mins, think rotating the hooker isn’t the best idea.
Joel did ok but can’t see what he’s got that Hamlin hasn’t. Sarginson gives you the work, never had the best rugby brain and is an ok player. Still believe there’s batter centre that sarginson out there
mjdodge13

Post by mjdodge13 »

Impressed!

We created a lot and our forwards had a bit of fire n their bellies! Personally thought Flower and Clubb were excellent.

Williams was impressive along with both wingers........love to see the stats.

The only negative for me were both centres. Gildart made a couple of wrong decisions which cost us tries but I think it was just decent defence guessing right. As for Sarginson............exactly what we knew! Garbage! Should have scored several times and just continued to drop the ball and do dumb stuff. Would Gelling have finished those plays close to the line? YEP
Wintergreen

Post by Wintergreen »

Positive overall.

Joel wasn't as bad as he normally is. He's still should be nowhere near the team though.

Sarge is average, but hey, we knew that. At best he should be a utility bench player.

Sam looked sharper than I have seen him for a while. Whilst he probably will never be the player he was (his speed has gone), if he is 75% of that player he will be a very good asset.

George looked unplayable at times, but then went missing. A talent yes, but needs to find consistency.

Flower looked good as did Clubb

Gildart had an unusually rubbish day. He is class though.

Overall a positive.
shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

Wintergreen wrote:Positive overall.

Joel wasn't as bad as he normally is. He's still should be nowhere near the team though.

Sarge is average, but hey, we knew that. At best he should be a utility bench player.

Sam looked sharper than I have seen him for a while. Whilst he probably will never be the player he was (his speed has gone), if he is 75% of that player he will be a very good asset.

George looked unplayable at times, but then went missing. A talent yes, but needs to find consistency.

Flower looked good as did Clubb

Gildart had an unusually rubbish day. He is class though.

Overall a positive.

He was the best player on the pitch by a country mile, how consistent do you want him to be? He as been outstanding in the first two games, maybe we are watching different games!
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Fan4Fifty wrote:I think the criticisms of Gildart and JT are over the top. Gildart did what he's supposed to do for the 2 tries that set up the win - give his winger the ball in space for one and backed up on the inside to engage defenders for the other. Yes, he should probably have given Marshall the ball on at least one other occasion but centres won't always get those right. He will only get better.
As for JT he put in a full shift to help handle a big Hull pack, made some strong tackles, created space for Sarginson that a better centre would have exploited and made a great effort fairly late in the game to get back to help Sam after Kelly's clean break. Yes a pass to Farrell in attack was put down but where were his runners when he was clearly looking for an offload? Thought it was a solid performance all round from JT and the rest of the forwards. Flower and Clubb were both excellent.
I too thought Joel played well, as did all our forwards. We haven’t the biggest pack in SL, blimey, Hull’s wingers are as big as our forwards :roll:
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

I thought Joel was far better than we have seen for a long time.
On Sarg, having seen him from a teenager, what you get is fitness, drive, elusiveness and decent defence. His handling lets him down, but overall he will contribute. He will work harder than anyone for the cause and I think will have far better games. But his best position, as we learnt in 2016, is full back. He offers much more there. Did we even take Higginson? If so, give him a run there next week. Get a centre playing centre.
Having re-watched the game, we were actually even better and slicker than I thought first time round. Some of the “butchered” tries could well have been cut off by Hull (who are a very good side). Some room for improvement of course, but masses to like.