Tonights game

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Wintergreen

Re: Tonights game

Post by Wintergreen »

josie andrews wrote:It was bloody freezing there tonight! ❄️❄️ Summer rugby ????????

I don’t remember it being this cold when we actually played in Winter

haha yes you do Josie!

The days of " Is it on or is it off?, pitch inspection at 6pm".

In the days before Tinternet, communication was a bugger! :D
Wintergreen

Post by Wintergreen »

shaunedwardsfan​club​ wrote:
mickw wrote:can anyone try and justify how george williams is a marquee player,because for me he wouldn't be in the 17.
The problem is not GW it is our forwards, they couldn't dominate a bunch of school kids! This is one of the worse Wigan packs I have seen. Faz is a shadow of himself, we have little creativity at hooker, we rarely make yards after the first contact, generally our forwards are not big enough. What has happened to T?

Sarge has been rightly bagged this season but Gildart is just as poor.

We need better recruitment and better coaching. After saying that, I fully expect us to finish above the Wire.
I was saying this last night.

Is he injured or just shot?
southportcdm

Post by southportcdm »

I thought that Warrington beat us comfortably last night. They should have won far more easily and that should be a major worry for us rather than them. They are clearly playing to a plan (stated by their coach at the start of the season)which involves keeping things simple and getting the basics right at the start of the year. They have progressed since the start of the season and we have not. They look like they know what they were trying to do and we didn't. We showed our usual determination and fitness but, in attack, looked like a team of individuals. Our pack is not big enough and has no go forward whilst Warrington's pack rolled forward at will and provided time and space for their backs to play. I thought that they showed far more potential for improvement than we did and that's what worries me the most.
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

We need a new coach..... end of....... hes a good motivator but its like watching headless chiclens at times......our system is making the good players look ordinary and the average players look poor...... we never change and personally i wont be a happy warrior until wane steps down......they are grtting really hard too watch at the moment coz its so frustrating....... we shudda stuck 50 on hull coz they were the walking wounded...... souths had our atrack sussed( and they were virtually second string).....i actually believed all the pre season BS but last nite was the last time......
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

josie andrews wrote:
DaveO wrote:
acwrlfc wrote:Can someone please explain Sam Powells role?
Being best mates with Wane.
I’m sick of hearing this! It’s Rubbish!

According to most people on here, they’re all “best mates” with Wane!
Is it rubbish? Powell seems impervious to being dropped despite the fact he brings absolutely nothing to the team. We looked ten times better when he wasn’t on the field last night but I will bet my life that next week he’s back in the starting line up

Wane has very close links with several of this squad and it looks like it effects his handling of them imo both sams and Joel seem very close to wane to the point were sometimes it’s like watching a Dad pick his sons for the school team no matter how average they are
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

Another thing that always winds me up is how other teams have kick pressure...... we never do...... this is obviously down too the coaching staff( or is it wigan dont have the players too do this?)...Every time wire kicked across field, they pressured our wingers..... its not rocket science that you gotta do the little things right.....CP was right about waneball( it will never change unfortunately)
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
Josie's friend

Post by Josie's friend »

cherry.pie wrote:
Josie's friend wrote:I liked Clubbs try, that's exactly how I want our props to perform, it's the benefit of having some size. The other props aren't up for the task, we spend too much time looking for someone to smash through the defence and get us a try with no takers. Twice now Clubb has took responsibity and it's paid off. Ben is not and will never be capable of doing this, which beggars the question of why he got a contract extension (same for Tautai).

Today jet lag effected the performance but once again our props (apart from Clubb) were found wanting. Sutton really need to have second thoughts about the NRL, no chance he'll be a prop and unlikely to ever get a game.
He's been our best prop so far :roll: with Clubb a close second. Tautai has offered nothing though.
Sorry don't agree with that at all, he had a good game against Hull but invisible last night. My point wasn't what he offered but what he couldn't due to his size.
I personally don't like small props and like to see them smash through defences and making good metres. Ben is used defensivly as a solid third man and in the attack almost a decoy since he never gets the pass.
First Try Tickle

Post by First Try Tickle »

josie andrews wrote:
DaveO wrote:
acwrlfc wrote:Can someone please explain Sam Powells role?
Being best mates with Wane.
Rubbish!
I don't know anyone either friends or on here that thinks Powell is good enough for Wigan.

But Wane picks him week after week no matter what, and this season gives him the number 7 shirt.

As Wane said at the world club match in Auz a few years back, his name was the first on the sheet, and I bet it's still the same.

Everyone last night at the game said things improved when Sam moved to half back, but I'll bet anything Powell is back there Friday and fir the rest of the season.

Rant over, sorry Jossie I agree with 99% of your posts.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

First Try Tickle wrote:
josie andrews wrote:
DaveO wrote: Being best mates with Wane.
Rubbish!
I don't know anyone either friends or on here that thinks Powell is good enough for Wigan.

But Wane picks him week after week no matter what, and this season gives him the number 7 shirt.

As Wane said at the world club match in Auz a few years back, his name was the first on the sheet, and I bet it's still the same.

Everyone last night at the game said things improved when Sam moved to half back, but I'll bet anything Powell is back there Friday and fir the rest of the season.

Rant over, sorry Jossie I agree with 99% of your posts.
We all have our opinions, I was just making mine.

I’m not saying he’s good enough to play at 7, but there are plenty players picked every week if they’ve played well the previous game or not.

Who complained about Powell when played hooker for 80 minutes at hooker? I can’t remember if any did when we didn’t have another option at 9.

I just don’t like any individual players being pilloried. They all ran about last night at times like headless chickens, no one to pass to. The ball looked like a hot potato at times & didn't look like any Wigan player wanted to touch the it, especially in the second half.

Yeah we can moan about a players performance but some of the comments on here are not very nice to be fair.
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Southern Softy

Post by Southern Softy »

Too many pages to scroll through but my take is:
It was a shoddy performance and we looked like a team who had been sent out with no planning or tactics. Again, as in previous matches, we were stronger at the end so residual fitness is not the answer. However, because the whole team (except Tony Clubb and maybe Ben Flower) had dreadful matches, I'm inclined to think that the Australian odyssey, the travelling and SW's statement that "we looked after them this week" with no real training, meant that the whole team just wasn't ready for a match like this.
When I see Liam Farrell dropping off tackles, there's something wrong and the whole line in defence was static whenever Warrington moved forward from the play-the-ball.
I think we may just have to accept that the match was lost on the other side of the world and get on with it.
We do, however, have to do something quickly about our tactical kicking, which was appalling and please can we just start with Morgan at FB and Sam in the halves. It's just a better team when that happens.
It didn't affect the result (probably) but Thaler's refereeing was awful and Hicks wasn't much better on the Video.